Openwater swimming

Micheal Artinda

Guest
I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done laps in pools. What I want to
do is a small dream.

Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are about 7 km away from shore.
What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest time to go is aug. What can I
do to prepare to do that. and how long each way would it take(I can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr
ish). what should I wear, or does it matter. does anyone know about any laws in Ontario Canada that
i should be aware of?

The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good idea to camp there, then head
back the next day?

What else should I think about?

Micheal Artindale

I have done this in Florida, but I always swam with someone or had a canoe follow. You should have a
backup even though some people just do it. Find someone to go with you swimming or better yet in a
boat. Swim out and if you feel you can swim back do it as long as you have someone following.

Curt

--
o ' - __o - </\_ ` ' - \< - __/\ /\o_ - (()) (()) - /
^^^^^^^^^^

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done laps in pools. What I want
> to do is a small dream.
>
> Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are
about
> 7 km away from shore. What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest
> time to go is aug. What can I do to prepare to do that. and how long each way would it take(I
> can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr ish). what should I wear, or does it matter. does anyone
> know about any
laws
> in Ontario Canada that i should be aware of?
>
> The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good idea to camp there, then
> head back the next day?
>
> What else should I think about?
>
> Micheal Artindale

Micheal:

Regardless of your fitness, you should never do this alone. You need to find someone with a boat to
go with you.

From what you describe, you are still quite a ways to reach the level needed to make it accross. If
it takes you an hour to swim 1km in the pool, it will take you at least seven hours to swim 7km.
Because of the time, and the fact that it is a lake in canada you'll risk hypothermia even with a
wet suit unless you know what you are doing. You'll need food an water to eat and drink while
swimming if you are going to swim anything more than one hour. Also, 1km in an hour is very slow.
You need to consider that a middle age regular swimmer will do 1km in anywhere from 15 to 30
minutes. My suggestion is that you find a master's swim team in your area and join. They are often
very friendly crowds with many people that join because of a goal like yours.

Swimming 7km for an average swimmer in a masters' swim team is soemthing that most regulars can do.
I think it may take you at least a year of 3 times a week swimming with proper technique
instruction, if you are very dedicated. If you cannot find a local swim team, I would suggest that
you attend a clinic such as the Total immersion clinic. Don't give up you goal. It is very doable.
However, you need someone to look at you swimming and to assess your potential. Also, you should get
a swim buddy to do this, in addition to a boat to follow you.

Andres

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done laps in pools. What I want
> to do is a small dream.
>
> Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are about 7 km away from shore.
> What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest time to go is aug. What can
> I do to prepare to do that. and how long each way would it take(I can do 1km in a pool in about 1
> hr ish). what should I wear, or does it matter. does anyone know about any laws in Ontario Canada
> that i should be aware of?
>
> The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good idea to camp there, then
> head back the next day?
>
> What else should I think about?
>
> Micheal Artindale

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done laps in pools. What I want
> to do is a small dream.
>
> Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are
about
> 7 km away from shore. What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest
> time to go is aug. What can I do to prepare to do that. and how long each way would it take(I
> can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr ish). what should I wear, or does it matter. does anyone
> know about any
laws
> in Ontario Canada that i should be aware of?
>
> The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good idea to camp there, then
> head back the next day?
>
> What else should I think about?
>
> Micheal Artindale

You probably could get yourself in condition to do this but it will take some serious work.

A 7 km open water swim would be something a strong swimmer could do without too much difficulty if
the water was not too cold but most who did not have some competitive training in their background
would consider it a big accomplishment. There and back at one time would be something even a very
serious swimmer consider a major undertaking. Based on your current swimming skill level (taking an
hour to swim 1 km is quite slow even by middle aged lap swimming standards) I'd give you about a 5%
chance of making it one way. Chances of success there and back in one swim would be 0%. If you do
not have a boat escorting you, failure means you die so definitely find a friend to escort you
across. No one in their right mind, no matter how good a swimmer they were, would try this without
an escort.

A 7 k open water swim is certainly doable so up your training and go for it when you are ready. You
need to get so that you can swim that far in a pool without stopping. You do not have to train
nearly that far every time you swim but if the though of swimming 7000 meters in a pool at least
once is still daunting, you'll never be able to do it in the lake.

There is nothing wrong with giving it a go this summer and seeing how it goes so long as you have an
escort to back you up. As long as you have a boat next to you just go for it. The worst that can
happen is you go as far as you can then ride back to shore. But remember - no boat and you only have
2 options - finish or die.

STP

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done laps in pools. What I want
> to do is a small dream.
>
> Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are
about
> 7 km away from shore. What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest
> time to go is aug. What can I do to prepare to do that. and how long each way would it take(I
> can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr ish). what should I wear, or does it matter. does anyone
> know about any
laws
> in Ontario Canada that i should be aware of?
>
> The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good idea to camp there, then
> head back the next day?
>
> What else should I think about?
>
> Micheal Artindale

Ok, first, thaks for everybody's insight.

Second. my math -- i do 20 lenghts(50m total) in less than a half hour, but, i loose track, so i
dont know if i am doing that much, or less, or more. (thats about 2 km per hr, not 1)

Third, if/when i do this, i will be haveing someone in a canoe. the technical dificulty i am having
is figuring out the "equipment" that i shoudl have/need. the water is probably in the 60s F (about
14C-20C ). what should i wear, would a speedo be not enough?(i am warm enough duing the summer when
i swim normally in the same lake.) what kinds food should i have for the swim there (and possibly
back)? should i carry water in the canoe, or since the lake isnt salt water, and is safe to drink, i
should not worry about that? What should i eat prior to the swim?

Fourth, to know if i am ready, how can i tell now, and before i actually do it?

Fifth, my ultimate goal, of which all of my friends, and anyone i have told it to had called me
crazy.... is to swim non stop from halifax canada, to halifax canada, around the world -- about
45000km. but thats a whole different story. i want to see if i can open water long distance
swimming, cus if i cant, then i know and i ll settle for the pool to do major distances.

Micheal Artindale

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done
laps
> > in pools. What I want to do is a small dream.
> >
> > Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are
> about
> > 7 km away from shore. What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest time
> > to go is aug. What can I do to prepare to do
that.
> > and how long each way would it take(I can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr ish). what should I
> > wear, or does it matter. does anyone know about any
> laws
> > in Ontario Canada that i should be aware of?
> >
> > The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good
idea
> > to camp there, then head back the next day?
> >
> > What else should I think about?
> >
> > Micheal Artindale
> >

> Ok, first, thaks for everybody's insight.
>
> Second. my math -- i do 20 lenghts(50m total) in less than a half hour,
but,
> i loose track, so i dont know if i am doing that much, or less, or more. (thats about 2 km per
> hr, not 1)

Good - now making this is a real possibilty

> Third, if/when i do this, i will be haveing someone in a canoe. the technical dificulty i am
> having is figuring out the "equipment" that i shoudl have/need. the water is probably in the 60s F
> (about 14C-20C ).
what
> should i wear, would a speedo be not enough?(i am warm enough duing the summer when i swim
> normally in the same lake.) what kinds food should i
have
> for the swim there (and possibly back)? should i carry water in the canoe, or since the lake isnt
> salt water, and is safe to drink, i should not
worry
> about that? What should i eat prior to the swim?

You'll be in the water for about 3 - 4 hours so you'll probably need a wetsuit. I suggest having
some waterbottles to drink out of. The lake is not a clean as you think (admit it - you and your
neighbors are not going all the way back to the cottage after you've had a few Labatts) and it is
not that easy to tread water and drink like a dog out of the lake. For food, eat whatever high carb
food you are comfortable eating while treading water. Energy bars or gels are good.

As for the canoe - it is really really hard to get out of the water into one without tipping it,
especially since you probably won't be doing that until you are exhausted. I'd suggest a small
fishing boat and practice getting into it from the water so you can do it when you are tired.

Oh yeah - these things are best started very very early in the morning before the wind picks up and
the lake gets busy.

> Fourth, to know if i am ready, how can i tell now, and before i actually
do
> it?

If you can swim half the distance in the pool without it being a big deal, you can make it on
deterimination alone if you don't get hypothermic. You'll probably have more fun though if this
is not a survival test so start working a little harder and lenghtening your swims and get so you
can do close to the whole distance in a workout at least a few times even if it is not in a
straight swim.

> Fifth, my ultimate goal, of which all of my friends, and anyone i have
told
> it to had called me crazy.... is to swim non stop from halifax canada, to halifax canada, around
> the world -- about 45000km. but thats a whole different story. i want to see if i can open water
> long distance swimming, cus if i cant, then i know and i ll settle for the pool to do major
> distances.

Once you make it to the island no one will laugh at you any more. You'll have swam farther in open
water than about 99.9% of the world's population.

BTW - has anyone else on the lake tried this island swim? Is there a summer camp on the lake? Summer
camps are big on having campers do stuff like this. Ask around and see if someone close by has some
inside tips. You might even find someone to train with in the lake.

STP

> Micheal Artindale

> > Fifth, my ultimate goal, of which all of my friends, and anyone i have
> told
> > it to had called me crazy.... is to swim non stop from halifax canada,
> > halifax canada, around the world -- about 45000km. but thats a whole different story. i want to
> > see if i can open water long distance
swimming,
> > cus if i cant, then i know and i ll settle for the pool to do major distances.
>
> Once you make it to the island no one will laugh at you any more. You'll have swam farther in open
> water than about 99.9% of the world's
population.

So i might have a fighting chance, wow!!

> BTW - has anyone else on the lake tried this island swim?

not that i am aware of

>Is there a summer camp on the lake? Summer camps are big on having campers
do stuff like
> this. Ask around and see if someone close by has some inside tips. You might even find someone to
> train with in the lake.

No camp. it is a non operating provincial park.

> STP
>

> > Micheal Artindale
> >

> You'll be in the water for about 3 - 4 hours so you'll probably need a wetsuit.

I have never worn one, how do i know that it wont give me "rug burn" is there anything specific i
should look for? I dont want to be done, and be paying for my tryumph by "rug burn". would a dive
skin (lycra full suit) be sufficient? what thickness should i get.

i swim in the lake for recreation, i swim in the pool for fitness. i have no idea how to "cross
over", but the good thing that i can see, i dotn have to worry about turns.

you guys have been great so far.

Micheal

P.S. ye who are writing me, when did u do ur first swim, and how far, and how hard was it?

When we say wetsuit, we are not talking about a surfer or skier wetsuit. We are talking about a
swimmer's wetsuit. these are very technical pieces of equipment designed for triathletes and long
distance swimmers. They do not cause chafing if they fit properly. Wetsuits will give a little more
bouyancy too. I would recommend a promotion wetsuit. they are among the most inexpensive, they come
in a lot of sizes and they will let you try one and send it back for a new size if it doesn't fit.
Also, to prevent chafing in some areas where there is more friction, you can put on some pam
(cooking stuff).

Even if it doesn't feel too cold, anyehere below 75 is cold for your body to maintain its internal
98.6 degree temperature. An hour or less, might be ok, but anywhere above that and it gets
progressively worse. Your body will constatntly lose heat. A couple of degrees, and they'll have to
rush you to the hospital.

I leanred to swim when I was a kid, but didn't start swimming consistently until I was about 19. I
have been swimming ever since for the past 20 years. I always liked long distance, slow swimming,
but couldn't get relaxed for a long time. I learned to get relaxed, once I learned not to drag my
legs (letting them sink, or kicking a bunch to keep them afloat). My way of keeping my legs afloat
is by arching my lower back. Other people claim to have other approaches. However, I think that it
is key that your legs stay on the surface w/o much effort.

Andres

Micheal Artindale wrote:

> I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done laps in pools. What I want
> to do is a small dream.
>
> Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are about 7 km away from shore.
> What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest time to go is aug. What can
> I do to prepare to do that. and how long each way would it take(I can do 1km in a pool in about 1
> hr ish). what should I wear, or does it matter. does anyone know about any laws in Ontario Canada
> that i should be aware of?
>
> The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good idea to camp there, then
> head back the next day?
>
> What else should I think about?
>
> Micheal Artindale

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but a thermal (neoprene) cap is also a good idea.

"Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Micheal Artindale wrote:
>
> > I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done
laps
> > in pools. What I want to do is a small dream.
> >
> > Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are
about
> > 7 km away from shore. What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest time
> > to go is aug. What can I do to prepare to do
that.
> > and how long each way would it take(I can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr ish). what should I
> > wear, or does it matter. does anyone know about any
laws
> > in Ontario Canada that i should be aware of?
> >
> > The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good
idea
> > to camp there, then head back the next day?
> >
> > What else should I think about?
> >
> > Micheal Artindale
> >

> I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but a thermal (neoprene) cap is also a good idea.

Where might i get such a thing?

"andres muro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When we say wetsuit, we are not talking about a surfer or skier wetsuit. We are talking about a
> swimmer's wetsuit. these are very technical pieces of equipment designed for triathletes and long
> distance swimmers. They do not cause chafing if they fit properly. Wetsuits will give a little
> more bouyancy too. I would recommend a promotion wetsuit. they are among the most inexpensive,
> they come in a lot of sizes and they will let you try one and send it back for a new size if it
> doesn't fit. Also, to prevent chafing in some areas where there is more friction, you can put on
> some pam (cooking stuff).
>
> Even if it doesn't feel too cold, anyehere below 75 is cold for your body to maintain its internal
> 98.6 degree temperature. An hour or less, might be ok, but anywhere above that and it gets
> progressively worse. Your body will constatntly lose heat. A couple of degrees, and they'll have
> to rush you to the hospital.

Any ideas of where i can get one? i dont have a credit card, so do you know any that dont
require one?

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> "Mark P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Micheal Artindale wrote:
>>

>>>I have swam mainly close to shore on fresh water lakes, and have done
>
> laps
>
>>>in pools. What I want to do is a small dream.
>>>
>>>Where I live is a medium sized lake. There are a few Islands that are
>
> about
>
>>>7 km away from shore. What I want to d is to swim to there(and possibley back). the warmest time
>>>to go is aug. What can I do to prepare to do
>
> that.
>
>>>and how long each way would it take(I can do 1km in a pool in about 1 hr ish). what should I
>>>wear, or does it matter. does anyone know about any
>
> laws
>
>>>in Ontario Canada that i should be aware of?
>>>
>>>The island I would be heading to can be camped on. would it be a good
>
> idea
>
>>>to camp there, then head back the next day?
>>>
>>>What else should I think about?
>>>
>>>Micheal Artindale
>>>

>>I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but a thermal (neoprene) cap is also a good idea.
>

> Where might i get such a thing?

The triathlon store down the block from me sells them, so maybe some place like that. I think mine
was made by Barracuda; there's another brand they sell too, though the name escapes me. It was
about $20-25.

Micheal:

You'll need to find a specialty store to get a wetsuit. If you don't have one locally, you'll
have to order one. They all take checks or money orders in addition to credit cards. With a
credit card you'll do it a lot faster. Just ask someone to make the order for you and you can
give them the money.

Promotion is: www.wetsuit.com

Andres

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "andres muro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > When we say wetsuit, we are not talking about a surfer or skier wetsuit. We are talking about a
> > swimmer's wetsuit. these are very technical pieces of equipment designed for triathletes and
> > long distance swimmers. They do not cause chafing if they fit properly. Wetsuits will give a
> > little more bouyancy too. I would recommend a promotion wetsuit. they are among the most
> > inexpensive, they come in a lot of sizes and they will let you try one and send it back for a
> > new size if it doesn't fit. Also, to prevent chafing in some areas where there is more friction,
> > you can put on some pam (cooking stuff).
> >
> > Even if it doesn't feel too cold, anyehere below 75 is cold for your body to maintain its
> > internal 98.6 degree temperature. An hour or less, might be ok, but anywhere above that and it
> > gets progressively worse. Your body will constatntly lose heat. A couple of degrees, and they'll
> > have to rush you to the hospital.
>

> Any ideas of where i can get one? i dont have a credit card, so do you know any that dont
> require one?

andres muro <[email protected]> wrote:
>You'll need to find a specialty store to get a wetsuit. If you don't have one locally, you'll have
>to order one. They all take checks or

Given how wildly the brands vary on fit/sizing, I wouldn't go mail order unless absolutely
necessary.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com