Opinion - Hardtail vs Dualy

Postie

Sep 25, 2003
I am both a road and mountain bike cyclist. I've been a cycling enthusiast for several years and have a fair amount of experience so my question is not based on advice such as "what should I buy". Rather, I wanted to hear what people’s opinions are about Hardtails vs Dual suspension bikes.

Personally I've always owned a hardtail and, with the weight and cost difference and the style of cycling I do (mostly cross-country) am not interested in buying a dualy at this time. Yet I read cycling magazines over and over (especially Mountain Bike Action) that have made the bold statement for a few years now, "The hardtail is dead".

I'm well aware the pro circuit of cross country is still predominantly hardtail, but what do you think about the statement "The hardtail is dead"? Does a light dualy really perform that much better then a good hardtail? Clearly I'm not referring to downhill riding....

I personally cannot see the demise of the hardtail any time soon; not that I have any figures to back that up. However, I like my hardtails and have no thought of going to a dually in the near future. I use my hardtails for almost everything; commuting, cruising, going to the shops, annoying motorists:):rolleyes:...
They're versatile bikes. Dually's, however, are great for going downhill.
Also, did I mention they're great for going downhill?
I know one guy who only has a dually and will only ride with us if we're going bush. He won't come along though if we're going to ride along cycleways and roads etc. I also know of at least two other guys who are seriously contemplating selling their dually's and sticking with their hardtails. I know they have lockout so you don't bob up and down on pavement and newer components are getting lighter etc but I think a hardtail is hard to beat as an all rounder.
Having said that, if I had the money I think I would have several bikes for different things; ie road, mtb hardtail, full suspension, commuter, maybe even a recumbent...oh, and a unicycle would be good for laughs.

Postie said:
I'm well aware the pro circuit of cross country is still predominantly hardtail, but what do you think about the statement "The hardtail is dead"? Does a light dualy really perform that much better then a good hardtail? Clearly I'm not referring to downhill riding....
Coming from a dual suspension rider:

"The hardtail is dead" is simply the advertisers $$ talking. Even if there are a few pot holes in the road, do you need an Eddie Bauer Ford Excursion to go to the grocery store? No. You might need to pick a better "line", but a Dodge Neon will also get you there and back.

I ride a dual suspension in a technical cross country setting. The local trails are very rocky and rooty, and I feel as if I have much more control with the dual. Just as front suspension helps keep the front tire on the ground, a dual can make life easier by keeping the rear tire planted on the ground. I also feel less beat up after riding a dual compared to a hardtail - again though, if the trail justifies it. I understand that I lose some potential speed, but I gain comfort and control.

In reality, there are certain times when a fully rigid mountain bike would suit my needs. But for me, those times are typically outweighed by my local trail conditions and personal riding style.

Scotty_Dog said:
Coming from a dual suspension rider:

"The hardtail is dead" is simply the advertisers $$ talking. Even if there are a few pot holes in the road, do you need an Eddie Bauer Ford Excursion to go to the grocery store? No. You might need to pick a better "line", but a Dodge Neon will also get you there and back.

I ride a dual suspension in a technical cross country setting. The local trails are very rocky and rooty, and I feel as if I have much more control with the dual. Just as front suspension helps keep the front tire on the ground, a dual can make life easier by keeping the rear tire planted on the ground. I also feel less beat up after riding a dual compared to a hardtail - again though, if the trail justifies it. I understand that I lose some potential speed, but I gain comfort and control.

In reality, there are certain times when a fully rigid mountain bike would suit my needs. But for me, those times are typically outweighed by my local trail conditions and personal riding style.

Thanks for the posts.

Personally I'd love to have both, a good hardtail and a good dualy, however my road ride and my hardtail are already nice bikes and there's a limit as to how many bikes I can own (at least according to my wife).

So Scotty_Dog, I guess you're saying that your preference for your cross-country riding would be a dual suspension bike?

If I add another question to the mix, "If you had $2000 to spend on a bike and it was your only mountain bike, would you pick a dualy or hardtail?"

Again, I'm basically interested in hearing opinion and discussion. I haven't had the opportunity to own a dualy so I haven't ridden one past a few joy rides. Hence I'd love to hear what people have to say on the topic.

1id10t said:
I also know of at least two other guys who are seriously contemplating selling their dually's and sticking with their hardtails.

Interesting.... I'd assume it's because they can have twice the bike for half the cost if they ditch their dually for a hardtail?

1id10t said:
Having said that, if I had the money I think I would have several bikes for different things; ie road, mtb hardtail, full suspension, commuter, maybe even a recumbent...oh, and a unicycle would be good for laughs.

I hear ya. I assume the unicycle wouldn't be a dually? :)

Postie said:
If you had $2000 to spend on a bike and it was your only mountain bike, would you pick a dualy or hardtail?

I'd go for a hardtail. The weight savings are just too good to pass up :).

Hardtails require less maintenance. No pivot points, no bushings, and no rear shock to maintain. I'd spend $2000 on a hardtail over full suspension.

I was a diehard hardtail rider until a year ago. My steel Kona Cindercone was 10 years old, but with component upgrades was still competive in XC races, and has seen duty at various times as a touring bike, commuter and even a few times on the track (!). It is hard to beat the responsiveness that comes from a hardtail.

Having said that though - for any offroad riding except for short-course or lap-style XC races (typically < 40km), the dual suspension is a better bike. Its more comfortable (obviously), its more forgiving when I make mistakes, its more fun and safer when I go flying off things, and it just plain feels better after 3 hours or more in the saddle.

Yes, the dually is heavier. But if you pick your parts carefully the penalty isn't that much. And unless you're a super-skilled technical rider, the dually will be a lot faster on the downhills (and did I mention safer, too). We have a lap course we ride for training. It takes around 20mins a lap and basically goes up for half of the lap, then down a technical descent for the other half. First time out on my dually I chopped 1 minute off my best time ever on the hardtail. And I had more fun doing it. Draw your own conclusions.

Postie said:
If I add another question to the mix, "If you had $2000 to spend on a bike and it was your only mountain bike, would you pick a dualy or hardtail?"
Dual suspension - for the reasons I stated previously.

MidBunchLurker said:
I was a diehard hardtail rider until a year ago.

We have a lap course we ride for training. It takes around 20mins a lap and basically goes up for half of the lap, then down a technical descent for the other half. First time out on my dually I chopped 1 minute off my best time ever on the hardtail. And I had more fun doing it.

Wow, this is really quite the statement. Thanks! Do you mind if I ask what kind of a dually you purchased to replace your hardtail? I'm curious as to whether or not it was a cross-country dually with limited suspension or something a little plusher (and heavier) like all-mountain.

I appreciate every one's replies, thank you all very much! I agree with what many have said by claiming that "the hardtail is dead" is a presumptuous statement. To many, hardtails clearly have their place and a lot of people will still prefer them. I've enjoyed reading what everyone has contributed to this thread and welcome any added discussion on the topic.

I think the deciding factor is your typical terrain and how aggressive you are. I ride a hardtail and love it. It takes me everywhere I want to go and climbs like a scalded mountain goat.
If I was 20 years younger and itching to fly off cliffs with my hair on fire then I'd go dual suspension.

i know that this year at my wifes place of employment dualy sales are way down. for the last 2 years sales were brisk. now every one is going back to hard tails. personally i do not own a dual suspension. however i need one. oh yeah i have a unicycle just can not ride it. i fall a lot

Postie said:
I am both a road and mountain bike cyclist. I've been a cycling enthusiast for several years and have a fair amount of experience so my question is not based on advice such as "what should I buy". Rather, I wanted to hear what people’s opinions are about Hardtails vs Dual suspension bikes.

Personally I've always owned a hardtail and, with the weight and cost difference and the style of cycling I do (mostly cross-country) am not interested in buying a dualy at this time. Yet I read cycling magazines over and over (especially Mountain Bike Action) that have made the bold statement for a few years now, "The hardtail is dead".

You'd better not read crappy MBA.
Difference between HT and FS is simple: FS is easier and more comfortable, HT is more interesting to ride.

Postie said:
Wow, this is really quite the statement. Thanks! Do you mind if I ask what kind of a dually you purchased to replace your hardtail? I'm curious as to whether or not it was a cross-country dually with limited suspension or something a little plusher (and heavier) like all-mountain.

I bought a Mountain Cycle Zen. Its on the heavier & sturdier side as far as XC frames go, and can be built up as XC or all-mountain style, although its only 4" travel at the rear. I put lightweight XC style parts on it (without going too crazy) and it comes in at 11.3kg, which is pretty good for a dually.

MidBunchLurker said:
I bought a Mountain Cycle Zen. Its on the heavier & sturdier side as far as XC frames go, and can be built up as XC or all-mountain style, although its only 4" travel at the rear. I put lightweight XC style parts on it (without going too crazy) and it comes in at 11.3kg, which is pretty good for a dually.

NICE! Your dually is almost the same weight as my "nice" hardtail. With 4 inches of travel that's a great bike.

I appreciate your posts. Thank you!

aa9t8 said:
i know that this year at my wifes place of employment dualy sales are way down. for the last 2 years sales were brisk. now every one is going back to hard tails. personally i do not own a dual suspension. however i need one. oh yeah i have a unicycle just can not ride it. i fall a lot
Interesting. What market is this? I can see where at the "lower" (which for me is sky-high until I have ridden for at least two years, every day or nearly) end of the market the extra shock could be a let-down. Extra weight and reliability issues, as well as the bobbing problems etc.....

But at the upper end, people seem rapt.

I upgraded to a full sus,about two years ago and i must admit i really enjoy the benefits ,besides the relief on the back jarring the back wheel tracks beter when flying downhill on uneven surfaces.My bike was in the shop this weekend and i dusted off the rigid,climbing was not to diffrent but boy comming down was one bone rattling experience,how soon we adjust to the luxuries of llfe.If you are not a serious MTB racer,yes the hardtail with a young body is still the fastest thing on two wheels,give yor kidneys a holiday and go for the duel.
Howard

I also am more into recreational/enduro riding rather than XC racing... and I love my VT

If you ride technical trails then the dually will be quicker... if you just ride smooth trails and commute with it, then stick to a hardtail

There is a rock garden/riverbed, my dually would smoke any hardtail on it, down fast rocky firetrails, the dually is more comfy and quicker in the long run

I find hardtails are great, and I would probably buy a hardtail next... if you are not into speed or technical stuff, then there is no point to a dually

I find in sydney, most of our trails are rocky... and a dually is good for it, whereas, canberra is sandy/dirt/singletrack... i'd rather ride a hardtail

I don't regret buying my duallie, it is fast offroad, but I hate commuting on it

I also have a old hardtail for commuting and a fast flatbar for quick weekend riding

answer, get a few bikes.... if you want a do it all... then get a hardtail.. but be prepared to be smoked on rough trails....

AAahh thats where my choice of Bike with lock out on both shocks,suits my riding fine ,the ability to lock out the rear shocK from the handle bar lever is very convenient Not that it gives a totally rigid ride ,there is still some movement on the likages ,but not that bobbing assosiated with duels.the Scott shock is suited for x/country it's not the bike youd go leap tall buildings with.My
Daily ride is about 12k's uphill gravle some loose rocky climbs and then down again either same route or the sand,rock,mud single track. depending on my mood.
Howard.