Opinion on 4130 Cromoly Triple Butted frame for touring?

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour over the next year.

I'm currently agonising over whether to sell it and use the money to purchase a higher grade of bike, or whether to just stick with what I've got.

I guess my main concern is with the frame and whether it wil bel up to the task of all those miles.

Here's the spec for it:

Frame: PRODUCT MODEL YEAR 2005
4130 Cromoly - Triple Butted - Edge Tubing Technology (on the website it says double butted but on my frame it says triple.
Style: City/Urban/Commuter

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour over the
> next year.
>
> I'm currently agonising over whether to sell it and use the money to
> purchase a higher grade of bike, or whether to just stick with what
> I've got.
>
> I guess my main concern is with the frame and whether it wil bel up to
> the task of all those miles.
>
> Here's the spec for it:
>
> Frame: PRODUCT MODEL YEAR 2005
> 4130 Cromoly - Triple Butted - Edge Tubing Technology (on the
> website it says double butted but on my frame it says triple.
> Style: City/Urban/Commuter

nothing wrong with 4130, certainly for touring. More important: are you
happy on the bike (size, handling)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour over the
> next year.

How long is long?

Basically I'd expect the frame to be fine. The components may wear out,
but the frame will be fine.

--
Arthur Clune

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour
> over the next year.
>
> I'm currently agonising over whether to sell it and use the
> money to purchase a higher grade of bike, or whether to just
> stick with what I've got.
>
> I guess my main concern is with the frame and whether it wil
> bel up to the task of all those miles.
>
> Here's the spec for it:
>
> Frame: PRODUCT MODEL YEAR 2005
> 4130 Cromoly - Triple Butted - Edge Tubing Technology (on the
> website it says double butted but on my frame it says triple.
> Style: City/Urban/Commuter

I don't know about the current Muirwoods frame but when I bought mine
it was sold as a mountain bike with front suspension. I know that a
year after I bought mine they started advertising it as a commuter in
EBC. My wife has just bought a compact Muirwoods and it looks pretty
good.

In my opinion I'm sure your bike will cope easily.
--
the.Mark