Opinion on 4130 Cromoly Triple Butted frame for touring?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour over the next year.

    I'm currently agonising over whether to sell it and use the money to purchase a higher grade of bike, or whether to just stick with what I've got.

    I guess my main concern is with the frame and whether it wil bel up to the task of all those miles.

    Here's the spec for it:

    Frame: PRODUCT MODEL YEAR 2005
    4130 Cromoly - Triple Butted - Edge Tubing Technology (on the website it says double butted but on my frame it says triple.
    Style: City/Urban/Commuter

    Tags:

  2. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour over the
    > next year.
    >
    > I'm currently agonising over whether to sell it and use the money to
    > purchase a higher grade of bike, or whether to just stick with what
    > I've got.
    >
    > I guess my main concern is with the frame and whether it wil bel up to
    > the task of all those miles.
    >
    > Here's the spec for it:
    >
    > Frame: PRODUCT MODEL YEAR 2005
    > 4130 Cromoly - Triple Butted - Edge Tubing Technology (on the
    > website it says double butted but on my frame it says triple.
    > Style: City/Urban/Commuter

    nothing wrong with 4130, certainly for touring. More important: are you
    happy on the bike (size, handling)

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour over the
    > next year.

    How long is long?

    Basically I'd expect the frame to be fine. The components may wear out,
    but the frame will be fine.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  4. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > Hi, I own a Marin Muirwoods. I'm planning a long cycle tour
    > over the next year.
    >
    > I'm currently agonising over whether to sell it and use the
    > money to purchase a higher grade of bike, or whether to just
    > stick with what I've got.
    >
    > I guess my main concern is with the frame and whether it wil
    > bel up to the task of all those miles.
    >
    > Here's the spec for it:
    >
    > Frame: PRODUCT MODEL YEAR 2005
    > 4130 Cromoly - Triple Butted - Edge Tubing Technology (on the
    > website it says double butted but on my frame it says triple.
    > Style: City/Urban/Commuter

    I don't know about the current Muirwoods frame but when I bought mine
    it was sold as a mountain bike with front suspension. I know that a
    year after I bought mine they started advertising it as a commuter in
    EBC. My wife has just bought a compact Muirwoods and it looks pretty
    good.

    In my opinion I'm sure your bike will cope easily.
    --
    the.Mark