Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Opinion on a bike?

Started by Joseph J. · · Last activity · 4 posts · 591 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 July 2005
Last activity
30 July 2005
Original author
Joseph J.
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
591
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I getting back into roadbiking now that I have more I've been looking
    at a true road bike to replace my aging 94 Kona cinder cone. back
    when I used to race in 1993, I had a trek aluminum bike with downtube
    shifters (105, 7 speed). I liked that bike.

    Well today I saw a really nice bike (at least based on my knowledge
    from 10 years back) and I was wondering if it is any good? It costs
    $499.00 cdn (~$400 USD?).

    any opinions?

    http://www.schwinn.ca/BikeDetails.jsp?language=English&Bike=71-1440-6

    for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing I
    could replace the groupo to something better...otherwise I'd just have
    a nice sport bike...

    Thanks all...

  2. "Joseph J." <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1122696017.351539.190790
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.schwinn.ca/BikeDetails.jsp?language=English&Bike=71-1440-6

    for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing I
    could replace the groupo to something better...otherwise I'd just have
    a nice sport bike...

    I've never seen one of these in person. The frame looks very basic (heavy and
    non-responsie). The fork is black, but that appears to be painted metal (no
    idea what kind), so will be somewhat heavier than most carbon forks.
    Personally, I would go up a little in price to something like a Trek 1000 or
    Giant OCR3 (about US$600). Buy it from a real bike shop so you can get
    professional assembly and professional fitting.

  3. "Joseph J." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    when I used to race in 1993, I had a trek aluminum bike with downtube
    shifters (105, 7 speed). I liked that bike.

    for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing

    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/index.jsp

  4. Joseph J. said:

    I getting back into roadbiking now that I have more I've been looking
    at a true road bike to replace my aging 94 Kona cinder cone. back
    when I used to race in 1993, I had a trek aluminum bike with downtube
    shifters (105, 7 speed). I liked that bike.

    Well today I saw a really nice bike (at least based on my knowledge
    from 10 years back) and I was wondering if it is any good? It costs
    $499.00 cdn (~$400 USD?).

    any opinions?

    http://www.schwinn.ca/BikeDetails.jsp?language=English&Bike=71-1440-6

    for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing I
    could replace the groupo to something better...otherwise I'd just have
    a nice sport bike...

    Thanks all...

    Does it fit you? If it does, a good entry level bicycle that will serve
    you well. If you race, the only thing you may want to replace is the
    shifters as the upshift thumb button on Sora shifters is not reachable
    from the handelbar drops. A must if you race, IMO....but fit is key.
    WAY to much emphasis on higher end stuff, the bicycle is a pretty small
    part of the equation of riding and racing well.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.