Opinion on Marin frame sought

Simon Brooke wrote:

> What do you think they race the Paris-Roubaix on, these days?

Very expensive bikes that someone else paid for...

Simon Bennett wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>

>>Gomenasai Bennet-san

> Better!

Although gomen nasai would have been better still...

James

James Annan wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
>
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>

>>> Gomenasai Bennet-san

>> Better!

> Although gomen nasai would have been better still...

I've seen it romanijicised both ways.

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven wrote:

> James Annan wrote:
>
>>Simon Bennett wrote:

>>>Better!

>>Although gomen nasai would have been better still...
>>

> I've seen it romanijicised both ways.

No doubt you've seen konichiwa too, but that doesn't make it right (and
acknowledging the arbitrariness of "right" in romaji systems, I would
settle for any description of a commonly used system which does it this way)

James

James Annan wrote:

> No doubt you've seen konichiwa too, but that doesn't make it right (and
> acknowledging the arbitrariness of "right" in romaji systems, I would
> settle for any description of a commonly used system which does it this
> way)

Moshiwake gozaimasen Annan-sensei.

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven wrote:
> James Annan wrote:
> >
> > No doubt you've seen konichiwa too, but that doesn't make it right (and
> > acknowledging the arbitrariness of "right" in romaji systems, I would
> > settle for any description of a commonly used system which does it this
> > way)
> >

> Moshiwake gozaimasen Annan-sensei.

moUshiwake _please_ :)

James

> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > MartinM wrote:
> >
> >>There seems to be an aversion to aluminium in AUK; most of the top end
> >>bespoke bikes are steel.

> > I think it's because of the availability of steel frames with a range of
> > braze-ons. Not so common on alu frames.
> >

> In the only test I know on frame fatigue, which comes with Sheldon's
> moniker of approval, ali frames faired far better than steel.
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/EFBe/frame_fatigue_test.htm

It's a shame they only tested one sample of each model on there.

If they tested at least two of each, that would have given a better
indication as to whether those results were typical or not. Or how
much variabilty could be expected.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere, that there can be distinct
variation between the strength of individual frames depending on
the skill and experience of the particular brazer, welder, robot(?)
at the time. And that some materials and construction techniques
lend themselves to totally consistent results more than do others.

Also some of those results seem to be dependent on design faults,
cracks emanating from poorly situated brazed-on bosses etc, rather
than being inherent in the material itself.

michael adams

James Annan wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>>James Annan wrote:
>>
>>>No doubt you've seen konichiwa too, but that doesn't make it right (and
>>> acknowledging the arbitrariness of "right" in romaji systems, I would
>>>settle for any description of a commonly used system which does it this
>>>way)
>>>

>>Moshiwake gozaimasen Annan-sensei.
>>

> moUshiwake _please_ :)

Ah yes, another romanji issue. I used the romaniji spelling from my
Kenkyusha's Japanese-English dictionary which has it as moshiwake but
again I've seen both used. I know you like to live in a world of
absolutes though.

--
Tony

Anon