Opinion on My Supplements

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Rich Shewmaker, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. "KrystalNJeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > At weight 260 pounds I decided I needed to lose weight and get some

    exercise. I
    > am a 50 year old man. I have lost 50 pounds and am feeling much better.

    But, at
    > times, I feel what I believe are..."heart pains". I can not afford either
    > expensive tests, or a stint or a bypass or any such medical procedure. I

    will
    > just have to live or die with my condition. And, I have been trying, using
    > vitamins and supplements, to recover my health.
    >
    > Here are the vitamins and supplements I take DAILY,
    >
    > 3 grams of Vit C
    > 8,000 IU of Vit A
    > 400 IU of Vit E
    > 100mg of Magnesium
    > 100mg of Selenium
    > 1000 mg of Calcium
    > 3 Fish Oil softgels
    > 2 Tablespoons of Lecithin
    > CoQ10 softgel for Heart
    > Alpha Lipoic Acid softgel for Heart
    >
    > also for vision I take these each day
    >
    > Primrose
    > Bilberry
    > Lutein
    >
    > and before each meal I take 2 CLA capsules, that totals
    > 2,000 mg CLA
    >
    > Every other day or so, I take a B1 and a B12 vitamin.
    >
    > I wonder if I am on a reasonable and sensible approach to recovering my

    health
    > and strengthening my heart? Are there other things I should be taking? I

    also
    > drink about 3 oz of red wine with my meals. My thinking is that I would

    like to
    > reduce the plaque buildup in my blood vessels and that this diet and
    > supplements will allow me to do that.

    It looks to me like you are spending more on supplements than I pay for
    health insurance.

    --Rich

    Tags:

  2. Anth

    Anth Guest

    Ever considered that it might be the sheer amount of supplements that you
    take, are causing your pains?
    (Or it may be in the mind?)
    If you want info on alt heart disease http://www.dr-rath-foundation.org/
    Anth

    "KrystalNJeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > At weight 260 pounds I decided I needed to lose weight and get some

    exercise. I
    > am a 50 year old man. I have lost 50 pounds and am feeling much better.

    But, at
    > times, I feel what I believe are..."heart pains". I can not afford either
    > expensive tests, or a stint or a bypass or any such medical procedure. I

    will
    > just have to live or die with my condition. And, I have been trying, using
    > vitamins and supplements, to recover my health.
    >
    > Here are the vitamins and supplements I take DAILY,
    >
    > 3 grams of Vit C
    > 8,000 IU of Vit A
    > 400 IU of Vit E
    > 100mg of Magnesium
    > 100mg of Selenium
    > 1000 mg of Calcium
    > 3 Fish Oil softgels
    > 2 Tablespoons of Lecithin
    > CoQ10 softgel for Heart
    > Alpha Lipoic Acid softgel for Heart
    >
    > also for vision I take these each day
    >
    > Primrose
    > Bilberry
    > Lutein
    >
    > and before each meal I take 2 CLA capsules, that totals
    > 2,000 mg CLA
    >
    > Every other day or so, I take a B1 and a B12 vitamin.
    >
    > I wonder if I am on a reasonable and sensible approach to recovering my

    health
    > and strengthening my heart? Are there other things I should be taking? I

    also
    > drink about 3 oz of red wine with my meals. My thinking is that I would

    like to
    > reduce the plaque buildup in my blood vessels and that this diet and
    > supplements will allow me to do that.

  3. KrystalNJeff

    KrystalNJeff Guest

  4. [email protected] (KrystalNJeff) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > At weight 260 pounds I decided I needed to lose weight and get some exercise. I
    > am a 50 year old man. I have lost 50 pounds and am feeling much better. But, at
    > times, I feel what I believe are..."heart pains". I can not afford either
    > expensive tests, or a stint or a bypass or any such medical procedure. I will
    > just have to live or die with my condition. And, I have been trying, using
    > vitamins and supplements, to recover my health.
    >
    > Here are the vitamins and supplements I take DAILY,
    >
    > 3 grams of Vit C
    > 8,000 IU of Vit A
    > 400 IU of Vit E
    > 100mg of Magnesium
    > 100mg of Selenium
    > 1000 mg of Calcium
    > 3 Fish Oil softgels
    > 2 Tablespoons of Lecithin
    > CoQ10 softgel for Heart
    > Alpha Lipoic Acid softgel for Heart
    >
    > also for vision I take these each day
    >
    > Primrose
    > Bilberry
    > Lutein
    >
    > and before each meal I take 2 CLA capsules, that totals
    > 2,000 mg CLA
    >
    > Every other day or so, I take a B1 and a B12 vitamin.
    >
    > I wonder if I am on a reasonable and sensible approach to recovering my health
    > and strengthening my heart? Are there other things I should be taking? I also
    > drink about 3 oz of red wine with my meals. My thinking is that I would like to
    > reduce the plaque buildup in my blood vessels and that this diet and
    > supplements will allow me to do that.

    I would add a multiple vitamin and mineral supplement, as natural as
    possible. I like Preventamins from Murdock. Taking only certain B
    vitamins causes a relative deficiency of the others. Also I would
    increase the magnesium to 500 mg at least. The Mg/Ca ratio should be
    1/2 or 1/1.
    For heart pains you might check with a chiropractor for three things:
    Standard Process Cardioplus, probably the best all around supplement
    for the heart. Contains natural source of B vitamins, natural source
    of Co-Q10, and heart tissue extract, which promotes the healing of the
    damaged heart and improves its function.
    Standard Process Cataplex E2 - a whole food concentrate that helps
    with angina.
    Get a good chiropractic exam, especially of the upper thoracic spine
    and the ribs. Rib subluxations cause far more chest pain than heart
    problems.

  5. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Ever considered anxiety medication? Chest pains for a man is a classic
    symptom.

    "William Kotheimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (KrystalNJeff) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > At weight 260 pounds I decided I needed to lose weight and get some

    exercise. I
    > > am a 50 year old man. I have lost 50 pounds and am feeling much better.

    But, at
    > > times, I feel what I believe are..."heart pains". I can not afford

    either
    > > expensive tests, or a stint or a bypass or any such medical procedure. I

    will
    > > just have to live or die with my condition. And, I have been trying,

    using
    > > vitamins and supplements, to recover my health.
    > >
    > > Here are the vitamins and supplements I take DAILY,
    > >
    > > 3 grams of Vit C
    > > 8,000 IU of Vit A
    > > 400 IU of Vit E
    > > 100mg of Magnesium
    > > 100mg of Selenium
    > > 1000 mg of Calcium
    > > 3 Fish Oil softgels
    > > 2 Tablespoons of Lecithin
    > > CoQ10 softgel for Heart
    > > Alpha Lipoic Acid softgel for Heart
    > >
    > > also for vision I take these each day
    > >
    > > Primrose
    > > Bilberry
    > > Lutein
    > >
    > > and before each meal I take 2 CLA capsules, that totals
    > > 2,000 mg CLA
    > >
    > > Every other day or so, I take a B1 and a B12 vitamin.
    > >
    > > I wonder if I am on a reasonable and sensible approach to recovering my

    health
    > > and strengthening my heart? Are there other things I should be taking? I

    also
    > > drink about 3 oz of red wine with my meals. My thinking is that I would

    like to
    > > reduce the plaque buildup in my blood vessels and that this diet and
    > > supplements will allow me to do that.

    > I would add a multiple vitamin and mineral supplement, as natural as
    > possible. I like Preventamins from Murdock. Taking only certain B
    > vitamins causes a relative deficiency of the others. Also I would
    > increase the magnesium to 500 mg at least. The Mg/Ca ratio should be
    > 1/2 or 1/1.
    > For heart pains you might check with a chiropractor for three things:
    > Standard Process Cardioplus, probably the best all around supplement
    > for the heart. Contains natural source of B vitamins, natural source
    > of Co-Q10, and heart tissue extract, which promotes the healing of the
    > damaged heart and improves its function.
    > Standard Process Cataplex E2 - a whole food concentrate that helps
    > with angina.
    > Get a good chiropractic exam, especially of the upper thoracic spine
    > and the ribs. Rib subluxations cause far more chest pain than heart
    > problems.

  6. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

> [...]

    >> > supplements will allow me to do that.

    >> I would add a multiple vitamin and mineral supplement, as natural as
    >> possible. I like Preventamins from Murdock. Taking only certain B
    >> vitamins causes a relative deficiency of the others. Also I would
    >> increase the magnesium to 500 mg at least. The Mg/Ca ratio should be
    >> 1/2 or 1/1.
    >> For heart pains you might check with a chiropractor for three things:
    >> Standard Process Cardioplus, probably the best all around supplement
    >> for the heart. Contains natural source of B vitamins, natural source
    >> of Co-Q10, and heart tissue extract, which promotes the healing of the
    >> damaged heart and improves its function.
    >> Standard Process Cataplex

    > Get a good chiropractic exam, especially of the upper thoracic spine
    >> and the ribs. Rib subluxations cause far more chest pain than heart

    It is this kind of "advice" that gives the alties a bad name

    this man is at VERY high risk of heart disease..ie.. 50 years old..male..obese
    (the big three)

    and admits to what he describes as "heart pains"..

    then goes on to list a gazillion "supplements" he is taking cuz he cannot
    afford medical care..

    and what is the suggestion??

    why spend MORE money on chiropractic????

    > And, I have been trying,
    >using
    >> > vitamins and supplements, to recover my health.

    unfortunately it is unlikely that all the supplements you are taking will help
    "recover your health"...esp not plaque in your heart

    > I wonder if I am on a reasonable and sensible approach to recovering my
    >health
    >> > and strengthening my heart?

    no...it is NOT reasonable..

    what would be...would be to try your damnest to get into to see a REAL
    doctor..for REAL cardiac testing...it could save your life....

    not sure where you are...but there ARE ways to obtain legitimate medical
    care...

    good luck

    hawki.....

  7. W_B

    W_B Guest

    Of angina pectoris and impending or past MI.

    --

    W_B

    Take out the G'RBAGE
    [email protected]

  8. First consider an EKG to rule out the possibility of cardiac problems.

    "Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    > > I would add a multiple vitamin and mineral supplement, as natural as
    > > possible. I like Preventamins from Murdock. Taking only certain B
    > > vitamins causes a relative deficiency of the others. Also I would
    > > increase the magnesium to 500 mg at least. The Mg/Ca ratio should be
    > > 1/2 or 1/1.
    > > For heart pains you might check with a chiropractor for three things:
    > > Standard Process Cardioplus, probably the best all around supplement
    > > for the heart. Contains natural source of B vitamins, natural source
    > > of Co-Q10, and heart tissue extract, which promotes the healing of the
    > > damaged heart and improves its function.
    > > Standard Process Cataplex E2 - a whole food concentrate that helps
    > > with angina.
    > > Get a good chiropractic exam, especially of the upper thoracic spine
    > > and the ribs. Rib subluxations cause far more chest pain than heart

  9. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Opinion on My Supplements
    >From: "M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 4, 2004" M.a.r.kP.r.o.b.e.r.t
    >[email protected]
    >Date: 5/4/2004 5:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >

    >First consider an EKG to rule out the possibility of cardiac problems.

    actually Mark...that would not be enough...

    "resting EKGs" are pretty much useless...except to document rate and
    rhythm....AND to determine if significant damage has already occurred..

    this guy needs a diagnostic work up..at least a "stress EKG treadmill..or
    stress ECHO" to give an idea about coronary artery disease...

    the 'heart pains" he describes could well be muscular...but with the other risk
    factors...better to be safe than sorry.

    hawki.....

  10. "Hawki63" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Subject: Re: Opinion on My Supplements
    > >From: "M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 4, 2004" M.a.r.kP.r.o.b.e.r.t
    > >[email protected]
    > >Date: 5/4/2004 5:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >

    > >First consider an EKG to rule out the possibility of cardiac problems.
    > >

    > actually Mark...that would not be enough...

    Agreed. But I did not want to scare him. Once he sees a RealDoctor, his
    needs will be met.

    > "resting EKGs" are pretty much useless...except to document rate and
    > rhythm....AND to determine if significant damage has already occurred..
    >
    > this guy needs a diagnostic work up..at least a "stress EKG treadmill..or
    > stress ECHO" to give an idea about coronary artery disease...
    >
    > the 'heart pains" he describes could well be muscular...but with the other

    risk
    > factors...better to be safe than sorry.
    >

    > hawki.....

  11. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Opinion on My Supplements
    >From: "M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 4, 2004" M.a.r.kP.r.o.b.e.r.t
    >[email protected]
    >Date: 5/4/2004 11:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time

    >Agreed. But I did not want to scare him. Once he sees a RealDoctor, his
    >needs will be met.

    personally I think he "needs" to be a little scared...as he sounded asif he had
    no intention of seeing a real doctor...

    hawki.....