Opinion on the NEW triathlon bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by zalpha, Mar 21, 2004.

1. zalpha

zalpha New Member

Hi, i'm wonder what do you gurus think of the new Trek Equinox 7. I'm training for the Ironman and need a triathlon bike that would be comfortable for decent distances (~200km). However, my budget is only around $1500-$2000CAN. I plan to compete for a while, so I figure i'll sink more into the frame and skim off the components. I'll just upgrade when i save up enough money to get better parts. This new bike seems like a resonable buy, but I can't seem to find much review or opinions on this new Trek frame, so any input or recommandation or suggestion of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Thanx! :D :D :D

Here is the url to the Trek Equinox 7
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/equinox7.jsp

Tags:

2. rv

rv New Member

if you can go a little more money, the cervelo dual would be the bike.

3. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Or even a Cervelo One.

4. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I took another look. A 76 degree seat tube is a good start, but the top tube is kinda long(ish). For example, I ride a 56cm (square, or equal, top and seat tube), and the right top tube length for me in the aero position, with a 100cm stem, is about 53cm. The Trek is about 2+cm longer than that. I suppose that could just mean you'd need a smaller frame than your typical road bike. But then the head tube may be too low (or it may be too high on the larger frame).

In other words, it's more about fit than anything else.

Check out timetrial.com for Cervelo's stuff. You should like them -- they're Canadian, too.

5. zalpha

zalpha New Member

I took a look at the Cervelo Dual, and most of its components are pretty much better the the equinox 7. But it is also a couple hundred dollars more. In terms of frame quality, which one is better? I can't seem to find much info on the performance of Trek's new ZR9000 in comparison to other types. If the frame is decent enough, I'm thinking i might skim off the components but get a decent frame which gives me the option of just upgrading the components in the future without buying a brand new bike.

6. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Debatable. Both are good enough for anyone, that's for sure.

I would go Cervelo without a doubt. I bought a Soloist as a TT bike (I don't need a super aggressive position), and for any racing I'd ever someday do. Turns out I like it BETTER than my Colnago C40 B-Stay HP which cost as much for the frame/fork as the ENTIRE Soloist.

There's nothing wrong with Trek (although I'm not convinced they fully understand TT/Tri geometry). But they are a dime a dozen. Not so Cervelo.

Spend some time on the Cervelo site. Look at their articles/papers. Then go look at the Trek site. Cervelo = specialized goods, Trek = mass produced retail.

7. Aztec

Aztec New Member

By the way, try eBay for used ones. You could probably get a P2K model for about the same or less than a new Dual. And a Dual could go as low as $1000 (US).

Check out http://store.yahoo.com/gear-west/cervelodual.html. You are going to love me. They have last year's Dual, in 51, 56, 58, 61cm for $1400.

8. marlon1

marlon1 New Member

sorry but it is 'CRAP'

You want an aerodynamic bike rigth?

So your buying an aero frame (it not that aero, i know better ones, but ok...) without aero wheels???????? Aero wheels are the 2nd most important. (First is how you sit on your bike)

Even a normal bike with TTbar is more aerodynamic than this.

And a real aero bike has a large wheel-distance, short headtube, modified BB area, aero seatpost, large aero top-tube.

------------------

Aero stuff is very expensive, sometimes up to $20000(Pinarello Montello :) ).

Maybe this is something for you:

frame:
    http://www.biketime.nl/info.php?prod_id=315

or

http://www.biketime.nl/info.php?prod_id=316

or

http://www.biketime.nl/info.php?prod_id=388

About $1000-1500.

TTbar: buy a ITM Crono F1 (the one on the picture)

About $200

Good but not too expensive wheels are the new HED's. Buy a HED trispoke tubeless front and a tubeless disc on the rear.
    Cycling with 2 disk is a bit difficult when there are side-winds. www.hedcycling.com

About $800

Which groep you mount on the bike isn't important. So buy a Shimano 105 group or Campagnolo Veloce or something

About $400

Some stuff like saddle, seatpost, etc. $200

It is possible to buy an aero seatpost or something. But you will gain not as much as wearing aero clothes or an aero helmet.

Total: about $2500-$3000

And now you have a bike with a very, very low drag coefficient!

And also a bike that is UCI legal, so you can use it also for TT races.

Let us know what you think about this.

9. marlon1

marlon1 New Member

You can see the ITM TT bar on the first frame picture

10. rv

rv New Member

since he doesn't specify, I don't know which bike marlon1 is talking about being crap. but certainly not the cervelo dual or p2k. anyone with sense knows they are both great bikes for the money. but I'm partial. I ride a p2k, and I don't ride crap. and yes, you can buy a little bit of speed, but it is expensive. a good set of aero wheels will cost almost as much as a dual. good positioning and good fitness will serve you much better than gear.

here are a couple of reviews.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/dual.shtml

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/product2004/tribikes/tribikecerv.html

11. marlon1

marlon1 New Member

no I'm talking about the Trek Equinox 7..

The Cervelo Dual frame is nice. I Don't now the prize.

the bike on the picture is really.... FSA carbon cranks?? Why carbon cranks of $400-$500??? An dnno aero wheels! A carbon crank won't make you faster on a flat road!

A TT on a hill is another thing... A light aerodynamic bike cost will cost you $$$$$$

12. KingB

KingB New Member

They're not carbon cranks. They're the FSA Gossamer cranks. Made with 6061/T6 Cold forged aluminum crank arms.

13. KingB

KingB New Member

I think if Marlon1 had his way, everyone would have to mortgage their house to ride a bike worthy of his judgement.

In reality, I don't think you can go wrong with the Cervelo dual. If you keep your eyes open you can get one for the price of the equinox 7.

They are the a real good balance of cost vs. performance/function. Race it, then in a year or two upgrade your wheels if you think it will give you that needed edge. The dual is a great base for years to come.

14. zalpha

zalpha New Member

I think i'm going try to go with the Cervelo Dual. Seems like everybody is convinced that it is a quite a decent bike for what you are paying for. Hopefully I can try to get last years model or one on sale. I looked at the store Aztec mentioned but it is located in the US. If I ordered one off there wouldn't I have to pay for taxes, crazy custom charges and shipping? If so, it might come out more expensive that if I just bought it local. If anyone knows a store in Canada, or more specifically around the Vancouver region where I can get the Cervelo cheaper, pls let me know. It'll be greatly appreciated! :D :D :D

15. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Shipping in the US is $45 from them. I don't know how much more to Canada. I had TWO bikes shipped from the UK and it was about $150.

As for duty, would there be ANY? I've purchased things from Cervelo directly and there was zero duty. NAFTA dude!

16. marlon1

marlon1 New Member

-->I think if Marlon1 had his way, everyone would have to mortgage their house to ride a bike worthy of his judgement.

I just say that the difference in aerodynamic drag is several times less chaning road bike to TT bike, or using a disc and trispoke.
    And a new frame (Cervelo) is $1600 and a new wheelset $800.

And what groepset you'are rinding with is not important for TT.

I calculated (see above) a really good aero bike cost you $2500-$3000...

Here is a site with more info about aerodynamics:

http://www.damonrinard.com/#Bicycle Aerodynamics

17. KingB

KingB New Member

yeah, twice what the guy was looking to spend in the first place.

18. IanD

IanD New Member

Click on the URL http://www.cervelo.com/text-deal-can.html. It gives all of the Cervelo dealers in Canada. By the way, my girlfriend purchased a Cervelo One - their entry level tri bike. She loves it. Got it here in San Diego (Nytro store) and had it shipped. Custom came to about $100 US I believe.

19. chris_gr

chris_gr New Member

There is no doubt that cervelo makes a great tri-bike. If $ are tight it might be worth looking at the Fuji Aloha. I picked up a 2003 for $1300cdn. The frame is very aero and it came with Syntace C2's, durace bar-end shifters, FSA cranks, 30mm aero rims, bladed spokes and it is quite light.

20. chris_gr

chris_gr New Member

If you want to avoid PST there are a few stores in Calgary that sell Cervello:
    Bow Cycle,
    waypastfast.com
    cyclepath south