Opinion on the NEW triathlon bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by zalpha, Mar 21, 2004.

1. marlon1

marlon1 New Member

The guy want a NEW bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (Maybe because carbon stuff 2nd hand can't been trusted )

And $2500 for a TT bike is really nothing.

Better spend $2500 for a real TT bike than $1500 or something, and buying an other one in 2 years, because you are faster....

And if you have a low budget; why are you sekking for an aero frame????????? It makes only 0.3min. difference on 1 hour or something (with av. speed of 45km/h or faster I bet..)

2. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Well, exactly. There are plenty of sensible options to suggest to this guy within his price range, even if they're generally not considered aero frames. $2500 might not be much to spend on a first-rate triathlon bike, but it ain't chump change and if it's too much to spend for now, it's too much to spend. Period.

I'd look into both tri and standard road bikes built up with 105, or mixes of 105 and Tiagra or 105 and Ultegra. If you're spending in between $1000 and $1500, there are endless options in good-quality aluminum and aluminum/carbon mixes. A road bike in this range could be a good entry-level tri bike and an excellent all-purpose racing/training ride -- Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Fuji, Felt, and even house brands like Douglas provide great values. If you're absolutely married to the notion of a dedicated triathlon bike, however, I'd agree with those suggesting Fuji and Cervelo -- both labels seem to offer solid, lower-mid range triathlon bikes that are well spec'd for the cash.

Good luck!