OPINION WANTED: How is C'Dale Lefty shock really doing?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jj, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Jj

    Jj Guest

    Hi, I'm on the market for the C'Dale Jekyll 800 or 1000. It comes with Lefty SHOCK. I just wanted to
    ask someone who rides these bikes how are they really doing and maintenance wise, are they better
    than regular fork type shocks? Thanks , Jack
    PS: looking for used Cannondale if you know where it;s good place to buy it, please let me know.

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    jj wrote:
    > Hi, I'm on the market for the C'Dale Jekyll 800 or 1000. It comes with Lefty SHOCK. I just wanted
    > to ask someone who rides these bikes how are they really doing and maintenance wise, are they
    > better than regular fork type shocks? Thanks , Jack
    > PS: looking for used Cannondale if you know where it;s good place to buy it, please let me know.

    Love my Jekyll and the lefty is awesome. Maintenence-wise, I've done very little other than pull the
    boot down occasionally and grease the exposed bearing races. I'd recommend against the ELO -- I'd
    rather have the rebound adjustment.

    David

  3. Derral

    Derral Guest

    I have just started riding a Scalpel 1000, so for am really impressed with the Lefty, it seems to
    have very precise steering and has little or no flex. But, haven't had it long enough to know about
    the maintenance aspect. The only thing I don't like is the inability to easily remove the front
    wheel for transportation.

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > jj wrote:
    > > Hi, I'm on the market for the C'Dale Jekyll 800 or 1000. It comes with
    Lefty
    > > SHOCK. I just wanted to ask someone who rides these bikes how are they really doing and
    > > maintenance wise, are they better than regular fork
    type
    > > shocks? Thanks , Jack
    > > PS: looking for used Cannondale if you know where it;s good place to buy
    it,
    > > please let me know.
    > >

    > Love my Jekyll and the lefty is awesome. Maintenence-wise, I've done very little other than pull
    > the boot down occasionally and grease the exposed bearing races. I'd recommend against the ELO --
    > I'd rather have the rebound adjustment.
    >
    > David

  4. Jj

    Jj Guest

    THANKS FOR OPINIONS :) Jack "jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm on the market for the C'Dale Jekyll 800 or 1000. It comes with
    Lefty
    > SHOCK. I just wanted to ask someone who rides these bikes how are they really doing and
    > maintenance wise, are they better than regular fork type shocks? Thanks , Jack
    > PS: looking for used Cannondale if you know where it;s good place to buy
    it,
    > please let me know.

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  6. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:17:44 -0400, jj wrote:

    > Hi, I'm on the market for the C'Dale Jekyll 800 or 1000. It comes with Lefty SHOCK. I just wanted
    > to ask someone who rides these bikes how are they really doing and maintenance wise, are they
    > better than regular fork type shocks? Thanks , Jack
    > PS: looking for used Cannondale if you know where it;s good place to buy it, please let me know.

    It's nothing special. Feels like any other mid-priced 4" fork. It's fine for an XC bike, light, no
    discernable flex (when ridded in an XC environment anyways) , good dampning adjustment, lockout.

    Mine lasted 2 years before it needed a rebuild, started loosing air. Cost $80, good as new.

    The rest of the coda components Cannondale uses are crap though. Especially coda brakes and hubs.

    -Bruce

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    bruce edge wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:17:44 -0400, jj wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I'm on the market for the C'Dale Jekyll 800 or 1000. It comes with Lefty SHOCK. I just wanted
    >>to ask someone who rides these bikes how are they really doing and maintenance wise, are they
    >>better than regular fork type shocks? Thanks , Jack
    >>PS: looking for used Cannondale if you know where it;s good place to buy it, please let me know.
    >

    > It's nothing special. Feels like any other mid-priced 4" fork. It's fine for an XC bike, light, no
    > discernable flex (when ridded in an XC environment anyways) , good dampning adjustment, lockout.
    >
    > Mine lasted 2 years before it needed a rebuild, started loosing air. Cost $80, good as new.
    >
    > The rest of the coda components Cannondale uses are crap though. Especially coda brakes and hubs.

    I agree with the coda brakes, and my 1st hub bearings needed to be replaced at 4k miles. The wrench
    told me how to grease 'em. I've done this about every 2k miles and this last set is still going
    strong -- 17k miles later!

    David

  8. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Derral wrote:
    > I have just started riding a Scalpel 1000, so for am really impressed with the Lefty, it seems to
    > have very precise steering and has little or no flex. But, haven't had it long enough to know
    > about the maintenance aspect. The only thing I don't like is the inability to easily remove the
    > front wheel for transportation.

    Read about the disc brake rotating the wheel right out of the skewer and you may change your mind --
    it was a recent thread on rec.bike.tech

    David

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest