Road Cycling · Public discussion

Opinions about Micmo bikes wanted

Started by Artur Yelchishchev · · Last activity · 5 posts · 9,704 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 September 2004
Last activity
7 September 2004
Original author
Artur Yelchishchev
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,704
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    Recently I've got a French-made mountain bicycle Micmo.

    As I understand, Micmo isn't widely-known brand, but it seems to be a
    part of Gitane group:
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Gitane/history.htm

    The bike is very similar to this one:
    http://www.micmocycles.co.uk/specification.php?modelcode=1314

    What do you people think about this brand? I'm especially interested
    in one's personal experience with it - any recommendations, warnings
    about weak parts, advise for replacing or tuning something, etc.

    Thanks,
    Artur

    Followup-To: is set to rec.bicycles.misc

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
    posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
    Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Artur Yelchishchev said:

    Hi all,

    Recently I've got a French-made mountain bicycle Micmo.

    As I understand, Micmo isn't widely-known brand, but it seems to be a
    part of Gitane group:
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Gitane/history.htm

    The bike is very similar to this one:
    http://www.micmocycles.co.uk/specification.php?modelcode=1314

    Uh-oh.

    Quoted message said:

    What do you people think about this brand? I'm especially interested
    in one's personal experience with it - any recommendations, warnings
    about weak parts, advise for replacing or tuning something, etc.

    It's probably not reasonable to make generalizations about this brand,
    which is being used as a marketing label for the low end of a big bike
    company's bicycles.

    The bike you linked to is very typical of a low-end Taiwanese or
    Chinese-built bike. Lots of good bikes are built in Taiwan or even
    China, but nothing in Micmo's mountain bike lineup would qualify.

    The basic sins:

    -very low end components such as Microshift shifters, steel (probably
    stamped steel) V-brakes, and on the "Ionix Z1" you have indicated, a
    high-tensile steel frame. That's basically the heaviest, most
    indifferent bicycle frame material available. And the particular frame
    design looks very heavy indeed.

    -The suspension design is simplistic, and features completely generic
    components. This drives you into a hell where the rear suspension
    especially will be very inefficient at transmitting power, but useless
    for serious off-road action.

    I could go on in this vein. The only part of this bike that isn't
    completely dreadful are the wheels, which are at least specified with
    alloy rims, meaning the brakes will work properly in the wet.

    I went and looked at their hybrid and hardtail bikes to see if there was
    anything worth looking at. No. The most rideable bike in the lineup is
    probably one of their "high-end" hardtail MTBs, and it still features an
    extremely low-end fork and numerous other marginal parts. The hybrids
    are rideable, but not nice bicycles, again cheaping out in all the usual
    places.

    What is likely to fail on this bike under regular use is the drivetrain,
    the wheels, the pedals, and the rear suspension pivot. The saddle looks
    okay.

    Don't bother replacing parts on this bike in an attempt to upgrade it.
    Depending on the kind of riding you want to do, you will be better off
    with a lightly used hybrid or hardtail MTB, or if you are seriously
    contemplating mountain bike trail riding, you'll have to dig a little
    deeper and either buy a well-used hardtail and work from there (in my
    case, I bought a 1997 Kona Kilauea with blown fork seals. Steel frame,
    short travel, but tough and well-equipped. Replacing the seals made it
    into a tough little mountain bike), or spend some money on a serious
    full-suspension bicycle.

    Here's a link to Norco's pretty good full-suspension "entry level"
    all-mountain bike, the Fluid 3:

    http://norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/fluid3.htm

    Here's a hardtail mountain bike that's pretty serviceable:

    http://norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/bigfoot.htm

    Here's a dead-simple, fairly cheap flat-bar hybrid that would still be
    pretty light and very rideable on the road or bike path. This has a lot
    of cheap components on it, but the spec is reasonable and the components
    won't slow the bike down.

    I'm just using Norco as an example; they also make some fairly dreadful
    bikes that are the match of anything in the Micmo line. But the ones I
    have highlighted are decent bicycles that would give you good service
    and be worth upgrading.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  3. Artur Yelchishchev said:

    Hi all,

    Recently I've got a French-made mountain bicycle Micmo.

    As I understand, Micmo isn't widely-known brand, but it seems to be a
    part of Gitane group:
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Gitane/history.htm

    The bike is very similar to this one:
    http://www.micmocycles.co.uk/specification.php?modelcode=1314

    What do you people think about this brand? I'm especially interested
    in one's personal experience with it - any recommendations, warnings
    about weak parts, advise for replacing or tuning something, etc.

    Actually the other way around. Gitane (Gypsy) is a brand
    owned by the corporate entity Micmo.

    And good luck with a general opinon. Like asking 'do you
    like Toyotas?'. Micmo built a wide range of bikes, both
    domestic and export lines, for many years. Not to mention
    they sold rebadged Japanese bikes and Vitus 979-framed bikes
    too.

    French mountain bikes are called "V.T.T." by the way.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  4. On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:41:42 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    It's probably not reasonable to make generalizations about this brand,
    which is being used as a marketing label for the low end of a big bike
    company's bicycles.

    Ok. I just wanted to know, how reputable this name is! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    The bike you linked to is very typical of a low-end Taiwanese or
    Chinese-built bike. Lots of good bikes are built in Taiwan or even
    China, but nothing in Micmo's mountain bike lineup would qualify.

    Maybe, but this particular one seems to be manufactured (or at least,
    assembled) in France indeed: except for the "Made in France" labels,
    it's equipped with Nervar crankset (also French maker), and finally,
    it was bought in French town.

    Quoted message said:

    The basic sins:

    -very low end components such as Microshift shifters, steel (probably
    stamped steel) V-brakes,

    In my case, they're made of alloy.

    Quoted message said:

    and on the "Ionix Z1" you have indicated, a
    high-tensile steel frame. That's basically the heaviest, most
    indifferent bicycle frame material available. And the particular frame
    design looks very heavy indeed.

    Yes, that's correct.

    Quoted message said:

    -The suspension design is simplistic, and features completely generic
    components. This drives you into a hell where the rear suspension
    especially will be very inefficient at transmitting power, but useless
    for serious off-road action.

    Perhaps, it will be adequate for my needs for a while - I'm mostly
    using it for short trips (like friend's party out of city), sometimes
    for going from home to work & back, and so on. Somewhere in forest
    around the town, even that basic suspension gives me an ability to
    ride, while "hard-tailed" friends prefer to walk, holding their bikes
    alongside.

    Quoted message said:

    I could go on in this vein. The only part of this bike that isn't
    completely dreadful are the wheels, which are at least specified with
    alloy rims, meaning the brakes will work properly in the wet.

    They are.

    Quoted message said:

    What is likely to fail on this bike under regular use is the drivetrain,
    the wheels, the pedals, and the rear suspension pivot.

    Ouch! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    The saddle looks okay.

    I like it, too.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't bother replacing parts on this bike in an attempt to upgrade it.

    The only thing I'm thinking about, is a fork - maybe, I'll replace
    current low-end one ChiliWorks (currently known as Zoom) with
    something better. I don't want to spend too much time & money
    upgrading that bike, but if particular part could be used in the
    future for my next one, perhaps I'll do that...

    Quoted message said:

    Depending on the kind of riding you want to do, you will be better off
    with a lightly used hybrid or hardtail MTB, or if you are seriously
    contemplating mountain bike trail riding, you'll have to dig a little
    deeper and either buy a well-used hardtail and work from there


    -snip-

    Quoted message said:

    or spend some money on a serious full-suspension bicycle.

    Well, I'm not a 'professional biker' of course, but after several
    years or riding I've concluded that I like full suspension very much,
    so I believe my next bike will be an used FS. New (high-end) ones are
    too expensive for my current budget.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's a link to Norco's pretty good full-suspension "entry level"
    all-mountain bike, the Fluid 3:

    http://norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/fluid3.htm

    Here's a hardtail mountain bike that's pretty serviceable:

    Beautiful!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm just using Norco as an example; they also make some fairly dreadful
    bikes that are the match of anything in the Micmo line. But the ones I
    have highlighted are decent bicycles that would give you good service
    and be worth upgrading.

    Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, Ryan! I've got all the
    information I wanted. Have a nice day, and good luck!

    WBR,
    Artur

  5. On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:55:15 -0500, A Muzi <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Actually the other way around. Gitane (Gypsy) is a brand
    owned by the corporate entity Micmo.

    Ok.

    Quoted message said:

    And good luck with a general opinon. Like asking 'do you
    like Toyotas?'.

    Believe me or not, but abong my friends it's quite normal to like or
    dislike particular company or brand as such! :-) Some of them are
    known to be reputable, and some aren't, hence my question.

    For example, question like "Do you prefer Zoom or Marzocchi forks?" is
    not meaningless, IMHO...

    Quoted message said:

    Micmo built a wide range of bikes, both
    domestic and export lines, for many years. Not to mention
    they sold rebadged Japanese bikes and Vitus 979-framed bikes
    too.

    Thanks, I didn't knew that.

    Quoted message said:

    French mountain bikes are called "V.T.T." by the way.

    Interesting! Is it the same as "MTB" in French?

    WBR,
    Artur

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.