Opinions and advice on my new proposed road bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kentacula, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Kentacula

Kentacula New Member

Hay guys,

Im very new to road cycling and am purchasing my first bike. After extensive research and browsing through stores i have found bike which is not such a well known brand though in my opinion is great value. It is a Shogun Samurai. The bike is selling for $1199 though as my dad knows the store owner i can get it for $850. Another option is the Vivente Como which yet again is another not so well known brand though still delivers good specs at good value. This was going at $799 and im not sure if we could get that for any cheaper.

http://www.shogunbicycles.com.au/ - Click on road then Samurai
    http://www.viventebikes.com//produc...ent/0/t/product

Can i please get your opinions on these 2 bikes and any other options.

Cheers,

Tags:

2. Kentacula

Kentacula New Member

3. KellyT

KellyT New Member

Samurai strikes me as the better of those two, but I would prefer a Trek 1000, or 1200, if it were me.

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Between the two, I'd also choose the Shogun because it has decidely better components (both bikes have Shimano shfters) ... BUT, the Shogun Samurai has 10-speed Shimano 105 shifters which are considerably better than the shifters on the Vivente (a prior generation & lesser "grade" -- Altus).

If your height is 5'9" (175cm) or less, then get the medium Shogun Samurai frame.

BTW. The Ninja has a slightly "nicer" chainwheel (aka crankset), and that is why it presumably costs more. The Team Issue has better components, overall.

FWIW. I love Shimano, but MY preference is to use Campagnolo shifters (Mirage, or better) ...

5. caferacerwanabe

caferacerwanabe New Member

Shogun's are great bikes when you can find them. The brand was very big here in Oz during the late 80's into the early 90's then they sort of stagnated a bit when Giant entered the market. Last couple of years they have had some very well priced/spec'd bikes out of the Merida/Speciali$%^ factory.

6. Kentacula

Kentacula New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Great advice

7. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Go for the Shogun. I had a Ninja and it was fine until I started racing a little more seriously, then I looked for something better, and ended up just getting a frameset. You will be better off getting 105 level components straight away cause give it a month or to with Tiagra/Sora you WILL want to upgrade.

8. Kentacula

Kentacula New Member

Just bought it an hour ago im LOVING it so far.

Much thanks for your help guys