Opinions and recomendations on LED's lights

Banatean

Jul 26, 2003
What do you guys recomend for lights that use LED's ?,are they that much brighter than regular light bulbs or halogens ?,and do they really last that long as they adevertise ? and it's Cateye (they are a tad $$$...) the brand to go with ?
Thank you

IMO any light that isn't beefy (like 10 watts +) and rechargable is really only good for making you visible to cars, etc. and will be useless for navigating dark, unlit areas.

That being said, the LED lights are excellent for making you visible to cars and such, as the batteries last much longer and they can flash too. I've got a Cateye front and rear LED light on my road bike and they do all I'd want it to, though to be honest there isn't much difference between brands. My mountain bike has a $5 cheapy rear LED light out of a bargain bin, and it works just as well.

One nice thing about the specific Cateye rear LED I got is that it comes with a fitting to fit the light onto the seatstay, and not the seatpost like most other lights. (If you have fenders and/or a saddle bag, this can prevent a seatpost-mounted rear light from being useful.)

If you're looking for a light that'll let you go mountain biking in the dark, or riding where there are no street lights, a rechargable light unit is the only real option.