OPINIONS and Suggestions Requested

regreb56

May 5, 2014
I have a 2005 Trek 3700 that I mainly use for road/bike path/packed dirt trails recreational and fitness riding. Many times with a trailer attached pulling my daughter.
The rims and tires have been swapped out for a more road friendly setup and I removed the front derailleur and swapped out the crank-set. It is now a 7spd instead of the original 21spd .
So my request for suggestions and opinions is for the fork.
I still have the original RST 191 suspension fork and I am looking to replace it with a rigid (Surly 1x1) fork.
Should I replace the fork or replace the bike?
Thank you in advance for everyone's comments!

I think that's entirely your call based on budget and satisfaction (or lack of) with the current bike. In my opinion, if it's not broke don't fix it. If the bike does everything you need it to do and there's nothing wrong with it, keep using it until it's scrap. If you feel like upgrading just to get something nice or newer, go for it. At the end of the day it's your money.

Why are you replacing the fork though? Does it need to be replaced or do you just want to get rid of the suspension?

FWIW. IMO, replacing the pogo stick Fork with a Rigid fork is a good idea ...

BTW. Presuming your bike uses 26" wheels, you can currently buy a Rigid fork for < $30 [why pay more?!?] at milewidesports in Flagstaff ...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ipg=25&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=milewidesales&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X26%22+Cro-mo+Replacement+MTB+Fork+1+1%2F8%22+Threadless+&_nkw=26%22+Cro-mo+Replacement+MTB+Fork+1+1%2F8%22+Threadless+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

More than one color is available. If they don't have the color you want, paint it.

Suspension forks on MTBs were made for going over a lot of rocks & roots without too much pain. If the bike doesn't have to do that, a rigid fork is better.