Opinions in the sub $1K range?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mark C., Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Mark C.

    Mark C. Guest

    Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.
    I ride mainly twisty, rolling, tree-laden trails in Maryland. I currently
    ride a C'dale F400 but am going to pass that bike to my wife and take (drag)
    her out with me for some low-intensity but fun riding, for me anyway ;-)

    Looking at:
    Cannondale F600, Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, GF Tassajara Disc, Trek
    6500 Disc.

    Anyone else out there who's been shopping in this range have any opinions?
    The Trek is about $700 (light, cheaper components), Rockhopper can be had
    for about $750 (cool paint & frame, decent components, avg weight) ,
    Tassajara Disc for $800 (cheaper drivetrain), and the F600 for $1000 (Light,
    frame, headshok).

    Thoughts, pluses and minuses?

    Thanks in advance,

    Mark C.

    Tags:

  2. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    "Mark C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000
    > range. I ride mainly twisty, rolling, tree-laden trails in Maryland. I
    > currently ride a C'dale F400 but am going to pass that bike to my wife and
    > take (drag) her out with me for some low-intensity but fun riding, for me
    > anyway ;-)
    >
    > Looking at:
    > Cannondale F600, Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, GF Tassajara Disc, Trek
    > 6500 Disc.
    >
    > Anyone else out there who's been shopping in this range have any opinions?
    > The Trek is about $700 (light, cheaper components), Rockhopper can be had
    > for about $750 (cool paint & frame, decent components, avg weight) ,
    > Tassajara Disc for $800 (cheaper drivetrain), and the F600 for $1000
    > (Light, frame, headshok).
    >
    > Thoughts, pluses and minuses?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mark C.

    Are you happy with the F400? If so go with the F600. If not test ride few,
    figure which frame feels the best to you. Good bikes are all the same for
    there intended purpose-- known and reputable bike manufactures are not
    making junk. The are all just building slightly differing "twist" in
    geometry and feel.

    Once you settle in on which frame fits you and your style, buy the best
    componants you can afford. Deraillers, brakes, pedals, tires and shocks will
    cause you more problems than a frame ever will so don't skimp on them. Get
    the good stuff.

    Where in Maryland do ride? I live and ride in MD also.

    Steve

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    Mark C. wrote:
    > Looking at:
    > Cannondale F600, Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, GF Tassajara Disc, Trek
    > 6500 Disc.

    Cannonwhale, overpriced.

    Special Ed, best bang for your buck and a solid bike.

    GF, thinks he "invented mountain biking" and is cashing in off of
    suckers with crappy designs and buzzword hype. Genesis is lame
    geometry and a lame band.

    Trek is the evil machine and their bikes are not made to last under
    normal use.

    Try looking at rigid singlespeeds too. The Surly 1x1 has good eastern
    geometry and you could build a solid one for under $1,000.

    JD

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Mark C. wrote:
    > Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.
    > I ride mainly twisty, rolling, tree-laden trails in Maryland. I currently
    > ride a C'dale F400 but am going to pass that bike to my wife and take (drag)
    > her out with me for some low-intensity but fun riding, for me anyway ;-)
    >
    > Looking at:
    > Cannondale F600, Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, GF Tassajara Disc, Trek
    > 6500 Disc.
    >
    > Anyone else out there who's been shopping in this range have any opinions?
    > The Trek is about $700 (light, cheaper components), Rockhopper can be had
    > for about $750 (cool paint & frame, decent components, avg weight) ,
    > Tassajara Disc for $800 (cheaper drivetrain), and the F600 for $1000 (Light,
    > frame, headshok).
    >
    > Thoughts, pluses and minuses?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mark C.

    Where in MD are you riding? Why not a singlespeed?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. JD

    JD Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    > known and reputable bike manufactures are not
    > making junk.

    That all depends on what one's version of "reputable" is. All but one
    of the companies the OP mentioned have a crappy rep in the opinions of
    some.

    > Once you settle in on which frame fits you and your style, buy the best
    > componants you can afford. Deraillers, brakes, pedals, tires and shocks will
    > cause you more problems than a frame ever will so don't skimp on them. Get
    > the good stuff.

    What a crock of crap. With your "reasoning", you'd have him buy a
    walgoose frame and put XTR on it. Without a good frame, you can never
    have a good bike.

    JD

  6. Mark C.

    Mark C. Guest

    "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    <snip>

    > Where in Maryland do ride? I live and ride in MD also.
    >
    > Steve

    Live way down in St Mary's County and do most of my riding at St. Mary's
    State Park here (8 mile loop). Also go up the road to Cedarville St Park
    often. Singlespeed is not really an option!

    Don't know if you've seen the link by the folks at Bike Doctor in
    Waldorf...good park info:
    http://bikedoctorwaldorf.com/placestoride.htm

    Mark C.

  7. "Mark C." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.

    Would you be interested in a barley use Habanero Ti
    model?

    I bought it but its a bit small for me and have been
    thinking of selling and going to a touring bike for
    upcoming tour Id like to do.

  8. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    > SuperPoo wrote:
    >> known and reputable bike manufactures are not
    >> making junk.

    > That all depends on what one's version of "reputable" is. All but one
    > of the companies the OP mentioned have a crappy rep in the opinions of
    > some.

    Opinions are like assholes and everybody's got one-- thanks for showing off
    yours.

    >> Once you settle in on which frame fits you and your style, buy the best
    >> componants you can afford. Deraillers, brakes, pedals, tires and shocks
    >> will
    >> cause you more problems than a frame ever will so don't skimp on them.
    >> Get
    >> the good stuff.

    > What a crock of crap. With your "reasoning", you'd have him buy a
    > walgoose frame and put XTR on it. Without a good frame, you can never
    > have a good bike.

    Using your extreme "reasoning" I would rather have a Walgoose frame with
    XTR than a "JD picked frame" and a Walgoose drive train.

  9. SuperPoo wrote:
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>SuperPoo wrote:
    >>
    >>>known and reputable bike manufactures are not
    >>>making junk.

    >>That all depends on what one's version of "reputable" is. All but one
    >>of the companies the OP mentioned have a crappy rep in the opinions of
    >>some.

    > Opinions are like assholes and everybody's got one-- thanks for showing off
    > yours.
    >

    >>>Once you settle in on which frame fits you and your style, buy the best
    >>>componants you can afford. Deraillers, brakes, pedals, tires and shocks
    >>>will
    >>>cause you more problems than a frame ever will so don't skimp on them.
    >>>Get
    >>>the good stuff.

    >>What a crock of crap. With your "reasoning", you'd have him buy a
    >>walgoose frame and put XTR on it. Without a good frame, you can never
    >>have a good bike.

    > Using your extreme "reasoning" I would rather have a Walgoose frame with
    > XTR than a "JD picked frame" and a Walgoose drive train.
    >

    >>JD

    I'm more in the middle of the range...I go for he best overall package.
    A decent to good frame (not top of the line, but if it shares geometry
    with a slightly lesser material...say 6061 or 7005 vs Kenesium, Scandium
    or Titanium...) and decent parts (at least Deore) then I give it some
    thought.

    The way I look at it is this: you may have a limited budget, but get
    something respectable to ride for now...it does the most important
    thing: gets you out riding on something that will perform better than a
    walgoose/crappy tire/K-Fart bike and has some room to grow. If you keep
    it for a while, you have a decent frame and can upgrade parts as things
    wear out...but, if you go for something "better" later you still have a
    decent starter bike to trade or sell.

    Just my thought on the subject,

    Psycho Mike

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Would you be interested in a barley use Habanero Ti
    > model? ^^^^^^

    Drink and ride much?

  11. Ed Pirrero

    Ed Pirrero Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > "Mark C." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.

    > Would you be interested in a barley use Habanero Ti
    > model?

    You could give it away so that some good could come of the Chinese
    slave labor used to weld it.

    Ooops, they aren't slaves. They're just paid that way. But on the
    bright side, it is teaching them how to manufacture strategic aerospace
    materials.

    Hey, whatever. It's a free country. (For now.)

    E.P.

  12. Ed Pirrero

    Ed Pirrero Guest

    Mark C. wrote:
    > Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.

    What about a Marin?

    Steel frame, good groupo.

    E.P.

  13. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    "Mark C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Where in Maryland do ride? I live and ride in MD also.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>>

    > Live way down in St Mary's County and do most of my riding at St. Mary's
    > State Park here (8 mile loop). Also go up the road to Cedarville St Park
    > often. Singlespeed is not really an option!
    >
    > Don't know if you've seen the link by the folks at Bike Doctor in
    > Waldorf...good park info:
    > http://bikedoctorwaldorf.com/placestoride.htm
    >
    > Mark C.

    Thanks for the link. I live north of Baltimore and do most of my riding at
    the Avalon and McKeldin areas of Patapsco Valley State Park and a few times
    per year up at Gambrills. If you have not ridden at Avalon or Gambrills you
    should give them a try, both are some of the best mountain biking in MD and
    both would be worth a drive from St. Mary's. Do you have any recommendations
    around the MD area or from the Bike Doctor list?

    Steve

  14. JD

    JD Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > SuperPoo wrote:
    > >> known and reputable bike manufactures are not
    > >> making junk.

    > > That all depends on what one's version of "reputable" is. All but one
    > > of the companies the OP mentioned have a crappy rep in the opinions of
    > > some.

    > Opinions are like assholes and everybody's got one-- thanks for showing off
    > yours.

    Don't you just love public forums? You can say anything you want with
    no fear of reprocussions.

    > Using your extreme "reasoning" I would rather have a Walgoose frame with
    > XTR than a "JD picked frame" and a Walgoose drive train.

    That's because you don't know jack shiite about mountain biking. Those
    huge mountains in MD sure must be a challenge.

    JD

  15. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    > SuperPoo wrote:
    >> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > That all depends on what one's version of "reputable" is. All but one
    >> > of the companies the OP mentioned have a crappy rep in the opinions of
    >> > some.

    >> Opinions are like assholes and everybody's got one-- thanks for showing
    >> off
    >> yours.

    > Don't you just love public forums? You can say anything you want with
    >no fear of reprocussions.

    I don't fear repercussions online or face to face-- I have no issue calling
    an asshole and asshole regardless of proximity.

    >> Using your extreme "reasoning" I would rather have a Walgoose frame with
    >> XTR than a "JD picked frame" and a Walgoose drive train.

    > That's because you don't know jack shiite about mountain biking. Those
    > huge mountains in MD sure must be a challenge.

    So mountain biking is about nothing more than gross elevation change? And
    every one who lives and rides outside of the western mountain ranges knows
    nothing about mountain biking? MD has plenty of challenging trails and I
    would even speculate that more than a couple MD trails would challenge any
    rider from any region.

    > JD

  16. JD

    JD Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    > I don't fear repercussions online or face to face-- I have no issue calling
    > an asshole and asshole regardless of proximity.

    yeah, right

    > So mountain biking is about nothing more than gross elevation change? And
    > every one who lives and rides outside of the western mountain ranges knows
    > nothing about mountain biking? MD has plenty of challenging trails and I
    > would even speculate that more than a couple MD trails would challenge any
    > rider from any region.

    blah blah blah blah, predictable, blah blah blah blah

    JD

  17. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mark C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Where in Maryland do ride? I live and ride in MD also.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>>

    >> Live way down in St Mary's County and do most of my riding at St. Mary's
    >> State Park here (8 mile loop). Also go up the road to Cedarville St Park
    >> often. Singlespeed is not really an option!
    >>
    >> Don't know if you've seen the link by the folks at Bike Doctor in
    >> Waldorf...good park info:
    >> http://bikedoctorwaldorf.com/placestoride.htm
    >>
    >> Mark C.
    >>

    > Thanks for the link. I live north of Baltimore and do most of my riding at
    > the Avalon and McKeldin areas of Patapsco Valley State Park and a few
    > times per year up at Gambrills. If you have not ridden at Avalon or
    > Gambrills you should give them a try, both are some of the best mountain
    > biking in MD and both would be worth a drive from St. Mary's. Do you have
    > any recommendations around the MD area or from the Bike Doctor list?
    >
    > Steve

    I live in the Carroll County area and ride Patapsco trails (McKeldin,
    Avalon, and several other
    "unimproved" areas).

    Marty

  18. JD

    JD Guest

    Ed Pirrero wrote:
    > Mark C. wrote:
    > > Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.

    > What about a Marin?
    >
    > Steel frame, good groupo.

    Low BB on the HT geometry, too low for Eastern US riding. Then again,
    superpoo might find that something to make his huge mountainous trails
    more challenging to any rider in the USA.

    JD doesn't know anything about riding East of the Divide

  19. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    JD wrote:
    > Ed Pirrero wrote:
    >> Mark C. wrote:
    >>> Would like to get some opinions on a decent hardtail in the $700-1000 range.

    >> What about a Marin?
    >>
    >> Steel frame, good groupo.

    > Low BB on the HT geometry, too low for Eastern US riding. Then again,
    > superpoo might find that something to make his huge mountainous trails
    > more challenging to any rider in the USA.
    >
    > JD doesn't know anything about riding East of the Divide

    The granite in the VA/MD/PA/NJ hills definitely requires a higher BB as
    do the frequent logovers. Believe it or not there are quite a few
    granite slick rock chutes, drops, and nasty rock gardens. For what it's
    worth riding anywhere is all good as long as you're riding. I have as
    much fun in the Northeastern PA / Northwestern NJ trails as I do out
    west. It's just looks different, well except for the climbs. *Notice I
    didn't say south jersey ;)*

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws