Opinions of 2003 Trek 2300?

discobean7

Nov 13, 2003
I am poised to make my not so triumphant return to cycling this spring after a 4 year hiatus. I'm looking at road bikes in the $1000-$2000 range. I like the 2003 Trek 2300, but I have not been able to find any posts from riders of that model. I was hoping to keep costs down by getting last year's model (all aluminum). My most recent bike was a Cannondale mountain bike so I am somewhat familiar with the harsh ride. The carbon fiber stays of the 2004 2300 sound nice but the price has gone up. I am also interested in the Douglas Fusion through CC, but I think my lack of road experience would make sizing an issue. I appreciate any tips, advice, or dire warnings. Thanks.

That's just the type of insight I was hoping for. All hail the god of cycling Boudreaux who shouts his wisdom from atop the high pillars of cycledom.

Originally posted by discobean7
That's just the type of insight I was hoping for. All hail the god of cycling Boudreaux who shouts his wisdom from atop the high pillars of cycledom.
Anything else would be tu*d polishing.It's your butt,not someone elses, and you are the one that is going to be riding it.

I am poised to make my not so triumphant return to cycling this spring after a 4 year hiatus. I'm looking at road bikes in the $1000-$2000 range. I like the 2003 Trek 2300, but I have not been able to find any posts from riders of that model. I was hoping to keep costs down by getting last year's model (all aluminum). My most recent bike was a Cannondale mountain bike so I am somewhat familiar with the harsh ride. The carbon fiber stays of the 2004 2300 sound nice but the price has gone up. I am also interested in the Douglas Fusion through CC, but I think my lack of road experience would make sizing an issue. I appreciate any tips, advice, or dire warnings. Thanks.

I looked at the 2003 2300 when I was in the market for a new bike but couyld not justify the extra expense over the 1500 ($4900 v $3400). It was just at the time of the changeover to the new model and I managed to pick up a 2002 AL one for much much cheaper. The carbon does make a diff. but probably not worth the extra $. I have carbon forks which makes for a smooth ride but standard rear stays. I have also posted a few times extolling the virtues of my bike.

I guess the only downside has been the Bontrager wheels. As I am a big guy, I have broken a couple of spokes and have had to buy a set of training wheels (Mavic CXP33's - 36 spokes) to do long distance training rides on. When I race I have used the Bontragers until now - I have just bought a pair of Ksyrium SL's which I have been told are almost as bulletproof as the CXP33's.

Good luck with the 2300, the Ultegra group set is first class and as I ride with a lot of people on Campag gear, I know I have a good set up.

Have you considered the 2004 2200? That's the bike I'm looking at. It retails at $1759.99:
FRAMESET:
FRAME: Third Dimension OCLV Carbon/ZR 9000
FORK: Bontrager Race Carbon

I don't know much about bikes (just getting into it myself), but the 2004 2200 looks somewhat comparable to a rookie like me. the only difference in frameset between the 2004 2200 and 2004 2300 models is the fork.

I've been looking at the exact same bikes. I used to consider a 2200, but now I'm leaning more towards the 2300. the 2300 has full ultegra, as opposed to the 105 bottom bracket, brakes and maybe some other stuff in the 2200. also, the 2300 has a better wheelset and fork.

boudreaux,
That's a good point about it being my butt. Unfortunately I have zero access to bikes where I live now. I'm hoping to get a few test rides in over Christmas. I was hoping to narrow my search as much as possible via research so that I only test ride the bikes best suited for me. With all the reading about bikes, now I'm dying to get back out there. Thanks for the website tip, very helpful.

Originally posted by senzed
I've been looking at the exact same bikes. I used to consider a 2200, but now I'm leaning more towards the 2300. the 2300 has full ultegra, as opposed to the 105 bottom bracket, brakes and maybe some other stuff in the 2200. also, the 2300 has a better wheelset and fork.

I would say (and keep in mind I'm new to this) buy the 2200 unless the race lite fork the 2300 offers is really important to you. I would think it's cheaper to buy the 2200 as is and upgrade the individual components.

As it is, after much thought -- I think I'm going with the 2100 and upgrading as I see fit, seeing as it's the same frameset as the 2200.

Thanks for all the input everyone. As of right now the techno-weenie/gram counter part of my brain (dad was a computer chip designer) is trying to convince my wallet that I need a full Ultegra ride. That's the bid difference between the 2300 and 2200 (2100 as well), the full Ultegra group and better wheelset. I'm hoping I don't have the weight problem with the Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I'm pushing 185 right now with about 10 lbs of extra muscle up top. Any excuse to get a set of Krysiums sounds like a good idea to me however. As for upgrading I have found out the hard way that's it not really the most sound thinking. In high school I bought the old Cannondale M800 (beast of the east) and then proceeded to change out every single part in the hopes of better performance and lighter weight. I ultimately spent a fortune on a bike I did not like all that much due to the odd mix of parts that didn't always work well together or last very long. This time I thought I'd put the money into a bike I really wanted from the start. I've heard and read nothing but good things about the 2300 with the only upgrade mentioned being the saddle. That is also why the Douglas Fusion looks so good. It's identical to the 2300 (wheelset is more aero but slightly heavier), but only costs $1200 right now.

Thanks for all the input everyone. As of right now the techno-weenie/gram counter part of my brain (dad was a computer chip designer) is trying to convince my wallet that I need a full Ultegra ride. That's the bid difference between the 2300 and 2200 (2100 as well), the full Ultegra group and better wheelset. I'm hoping I don't have the weight problem with the Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I'm pushing 185 right now with about 10 lbs of extra muscle up top. Any excuse to get a set of Krysiums sounds like a good idea to me however. As for upgrading I have found out the hard way that's it not really the most sound thinking. In high school I bought the old Cannondale M800 (beast of the east) and then proceeded to change out every single part in the hopes of better performance and lighter weight. I ultimately spent a fortune on a bike I did not like all that much due to the odd mix of parts that didn't always work well together or last very long. This time I thought I'd put the money into a bike I really wanted from the start. I've heard and read nothing but good things about the 2300 with the only upgrade mentioned being the saddle. That is also why the Douglas Fusion looks so good. It's identical to the 2300 (wheelset is more aero but slightly heavier), but only costs $1200 right now.

Sounds good, I don't think your weight will be a problem on the Bontrager Lites though. 185 is fine, I weigh about 240 which is where my problem lies...........

If you can get Ultegra at that price, it can only be good. Slightly heavier wheels will not make huge differences (unless your talking heaps heavier). I have an upgraded sadle on mine (forgot to mention that) although it still hurts on long rides!

Good luck with your decision and I envy you living in the Carribean mon!

Agree upgrades don't make sense until you're ready to replace the OEM parts. If you wear out the 105 BB or levers, then would be the time to replace them with Ultegra or DA. Why not get your money's worth out of the OEM components and wheels.

Dan

I've heard and read nothing but good things about the 2300 with the only upgrade mentioned being the saddle. That is also why the Douglas Fusion looks so good. It's identical to the 2300 (wheelset is more aero but slightly heavier), but only costs $1200 right now.
Hard to beat the Fusion at that price. Sure you know your size? Sure you know and appreciate all the downsides to buying online and lesser warranty and LBS support if you need it? There is more to it than just price.

That's exactly why I'm leary of ordering a bike online. I think sizing would be a crapshoot at best. My brother is of similar size and has been a roadie for about 12 years so hopefully he could help. The warranty and lack of support is also an issue. On second look the Fusion in the most recent Bicycling is not the same bike that is available now. CC has swapped out some components for less expensive ones, making the total bike less of a bargain. I'll keep my eye on the components over the winter and make the final decision sometime in February hopefully. Thanks again.

That's exactly why I'm leary of ordering a bike online. I think sizing would be a crapshoot at best. My brother is of similar size and has been a roadie for about 12 years so hopefully he could help. The warranty and lack of support is also an issue. On second look the Fusion in the most recent Bicycling is not the same bike that is available now. CC has swapped out some components for less expensive ones, making the total bike less of a bargain. I'll keep my eye on the components over the winter and make the final decision sometime in February hopefully. Thanks again.

I have the douglas fusion from CC. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. I had a very good experience swapping parts until I got mine dialed in where I wanted it fit wise.

I've never ridden the Trek the Fusion is a great bike for me. I got in Sept of last year and already have 2200 miles on mine. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the bike and I'll do my best to answer.

Scott Shields

Hi discobean7.

You've probably made your decision already but, in case you haven't, I thought I'd give you my two cents. I've ridden the '03 model of the 2300 and it is a great bike for that price. Carbon seat stays in the '04 are a considerable upgrade over that. Personally, I ride Ultegra but 105 is good too. If I look at the 2200 vs the 2300, value would say, "go with the 2200" hands down. The 2300 includes some indulgence.

If it were me? I'd go with the 2300. Why? You already know you want it and you'll ride it more knowing that you didn't have to "settle". Two years from now you won't even remember the price difference. :D