Opinions of Cateye EL500 light please.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lewis Campbell, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
    light?

    It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
    but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.

    Thanks.

    Lewis.

    Tags:

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Lewis Campbell wrote:

    > I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
    > light?
    >
    > It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
    > but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lewis.

    The EL300 sounded good too. I've never read a company description
    that said ``This light still sucks.''
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  3. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Lewis Campbell wrote:
    > I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
    > light?
    >
    > It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
    > but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lewis.

    The light works fine.

    However, it is a little dim for fast riding in real darkness, or where
    there are distracting lights cutting your easy seeing.

    I use it for city street and city bike trail riding.

    Wish it were 1500 candlepower, rather than just 400 candlepower.

    NiMH batteries work just great in it, and I recharge them every 30 days.
    The lamp intensity does decline like it says on the box.... typical LED
    problem.

    If you use non-recharged alkalines, you may be paying a lot for keeping
    the light intensity up as high as you can get it.

    Jim

  4. << I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
    light? >><BR><BR>

    Just got one to replace my Niterider with a h2o battery. Seems bright and
    useable for my 3 mile commute. Not as bright as the Niterider but adequate.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > >><BR><BR>

    Fish?

    > Just got one to replace my Niterider with a h2o battery....

    What is a "h2o battery"?

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

  6. jbuch wrote:
    > If you use non-recharged alkalines, you may be paying a lot for keeping
    > the light intensity up as high as you can get it.

    I was thinking of getting one of these as a "backup" light in
    case I get caught out in the dark longer than my regular light
    lasts. Given that, I would use Energizer Lithium AA's (they
    are not rechargable). They have a 10 year shelf life (good for
    something you use rarely), low internal resistance, are less
    suceptible to the cold and run about 1.75 volts so I'm guessing
    they'd make the light very slightly brighter. One warning
    though: they also have a flat power curve. You'll probably get
    about 5 seconds of dimming light just before they run out of
    power.

  7. tom-<< What is a "h2o battery"? >><BR><BR>

    Ya know, one of those lights that has the battery that goes into the
    waterbottle cage.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. Alan Simmons

    Alan Simmons Guest

    [email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm wondering if anyone has used and formed an opinion of the EL 500
    > light?
    >
    > It sounds like its really good, from reading the company description
    > but I hope that someone who has used one could give some feedback.

    I just got one to replace a Niterider Evolution for the 1st 2 hours of
    a 300K brevet (1st two hours climbing). Total weight with batteries &
    mount is 222g. Produces about half the light of the Evolution. It was
    adequate for climbing; would not be for fast descents. Properly
    attached, it doesn't rattle or change position, but can be swiveled
    through a short horizontal arc for precise aiming. I taped over the
    side "light-leak" ports - while intended to produce side-visibility,
    they also ruin the rider's night vision.

    I spent some time contemplating that a manufacturer would actually
    spend R&D budget to create a reflector that causes the light to
    project the company logo (cat head) on the pavement. I got pretty sick
    of watching the cutesy cat head wander around on road. Is this common
    to other Cateye lights?

    I also used a slick little Black Diamond micro Ion headlamp (less than
    25g with battery). Removed the elastic band & fastened to helmet with
    velcro strap. Vertical swivel allows aiming at cue sheet/cyclometer or
    further out. Puts out enough light to read street name signs.

  9. Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jbuch wrote:
    > > If you use non-recharged alkalines, you may be paying a lot for keeping
    > > the light intensity up as high as you can get it.

    > I was thinking of getting one of these as a "backup" light in
    > case I get caught out in the dark longer than my regular light
    > lasts. Given that, I would use Energizer Lithium AA's (they
    > are not rechargable). They have a 10 year shelf life (good for
    > something you use rarely), low internal resistance, are less
    > suceptible to the cold and run about 1.75 volts so I'm guessing
    > they'd make the light very slightly brighter. One warning
    > though: they also have a flat power curve. You'll probably get
    > about 5 seconds of dimming light just before they run out of
    > power.

    Thanks for your suggestion here.

    I tried a search for the Lithium batteries and found * AA Energizer e2
    Lithium Batteries 1.5V * in a couple of places, so I'm confused (as
    well as electrically challenged) :)

    Could you give me a link to the 1.75V batteries, please.

    Thanks.

    Lewis.

  10. Lewis Campbell wrote:
    > I tried a search for the Lithium batteries and found * AA Energizer e2
    > Lithium Batteries 1.5V * in a couple of places, so I'm confused (as
    > well as electrically challenged) :)
    >
    > Could you give me a link to the 1.75V batteries, please.

    No. That's them. They are labeled as 1.5V but when you put them
    on a meter they are actually around 1.75V (roughly).

  11. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Bill Davidson wrote:
    > Lewis Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> I tried a search for the Lithium batteries and found * AA Energizer e2
    >> Lithium Batteries 1.5V * in a couple of places, so I'm confused (as
    >> well as electrically challenged) :)
    >>
    >> Could you give me a link to the 1.75V batteries, please.

    > No. That's them. They are labeled as 1.5V but when you put them
    > on a meter they are actually around 1.75V (roughly).

    Typical discharge curves for various loads are shown at
    http://data.energizer.com/ for the L91 (AA) lithium cells.
    They show that even for fairly low loads there is only a
    rather brief period with voltage around 1.6 which falls
    quickly to 1.5 followed by a much slower drop to 1.4
    over about 90% of the life. Then the voltage starts
    dropping more rapidly with almost no capacity left once
    the voltage reaches 1.2 V (i.e. don't count on having any
    significant time left once the light starts dimming
    noticeably).

  12. > I spent some time contemplating that a manufacturer would
    > actually spend R&D budget to create a reflector that causes
    > the light to project the company logo (cat head) on the
    > pavement. I got pretty sick of watching the cutesy cat head
    > wander around on road. Is this common to other Cateye lights?

    Certainly not to the Cateye lights I own: HL-500, HL-500II, HL-270,
    HL-EL300.

  13. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

  14. I tried a search of their website and did not find it.

    Could they have discontinued carrying it?

    Lewis.

    **********************************

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > There's a $39.95 price at http://www.bikeman.com/
    >
    > ship notice in a day, so they're apparently alive.

  15. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Lewis Campbell wrote:

    > I tried a search of their website and did not find it.
    >
    > Could they have discontinued carrying it?
    >
    > Lewis.
    >
    > **********************************
    >
    > Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > There's a $39.95 price at http://www.bikeman.com/
    > >
    > > ship notice in a day, so they're apparently alive.

    It comes up for me (type el500 in the window, click on the pic and you get to ..)
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Merch...n=PROD&Store_Code=BIKEMAN&Product_Code=LT4107

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  16. I did a search on their website but did not find it.

    Could they have discontinued it?

    Lewis.

    ********************

    Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > There's a $39.95 price at http://www.bikeman.com/
    >
    > ship notice in a day, so they're apparently alive.

  17. << There's a $39.95 price at http://www.bikeman.com/

    ship notice in a day, so they're apparently alive. >><BR><BR>

    We have them, $42+ shipping.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  18. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    The light is surprisingly good. Not an illuminate-the-night light,
    but adequate for dark roads where other lights won't be
    competing with it much.

    The EL-300 could never quite see far enough ahead and made you ride
    slowly; this has a good beam shape, one lane wide at about the
    distance you need to see at to clip along at good speed, and
    a feeling that you're getting more than occasional individual
    photons back.

    The light is amazingly packaged, very small for the contents; even
    the box is quite a work of design (you can open it without tearing
    but it may take a while to figure it out).

    It's still a tunnel-vision experience but good enough to ride fast by
    on a good road, where you only need to know where the lane is in
    spite of occasional oncoming cars.

    I'll keep my two HL-1500's on the handlebars too, for the heavy
    city traffic parts of the trip, or the pothole segment, but mostly
    I can turn them off and just use this baby. It says it runs 30
    hours, against 3 for the HL-1500's. All use 4 AA's.

    It's about the brightness of a HL-1500 on ``half'' power, but that's a lot
    less than half the brightness of a HL-1500; I'd been mostly
    running them on half power to stretch the battery time to cover
    the full trip though.

    (``Tunnel-vision experience - you're frequently reminded of
    places you grew up, because you see so little at once that only
    one feature has to match to get an association to kick in. That
    doesn't happen with brighter lights.)
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  19. I finally got to use the EL-500 light yesterday on my 12.5 mile
    commute to work.

    Since 8 of those miles are around Lake Benbrook, (no traffic) I
    thought this would be a great day to test it and I started out at
    5.30am.

    The only problem was that we were having a violent thunderstorm at the
    time and there was _SO_ much lightning that I could have done the trip
    quite well with NO lights.

    Hopefully I will get to test it under better conditions this weekend
    but, so far, my impression is that it is a fairly adequate light and
    _much_ brighter than my Cateye Opticube light.

    Lewis.