Opinions Of State Bicycle Co.

iamtiffanymarie

Aug 12, 2015
I am in the market for a new bike. Preferably one that can be completely customized as I am a woman with a petite frame. I came across The State Bicycle Co. after recommendation from a friend since I'm interested in a fixie/single speed and because they're available at a local bike shop in Boca Raton, FL. A few fellow cyclists have purchased from this brand but as it's a completely new brand to me, I was interested in other opinions.

I want to refer to the brand as an indie brand as they're smaller, up & coming, brought to you by a small independent group of curators. The company originated in Arizona. I believe they are all made in the US. The frames are available in several unique looks and finishes (matte/shine/satin etc.) and as most other bikes the seats, wheels, tires, pedals, handles, etc., are all available for customization in looks, color, and size. As for the price point, it all depends on what customizations are made and what frame is purchased is it is with any other company.

http://www.statebicycle.com/

If State had their frames made in the US, they'd be bragging about it all over their webpage, like Shinola. My guess is they're made somewhere in Asia, even the Velo Vie Vecteur. No problem. These days nobody does hydroformed aluminum as well as the Taiwanese and now their job shops in mainland China.

Not to worry, though. I've worked on some of their single speeds and urban utility bikes, and they look and feel like good value. I wouldn't hesitate to add them to my short list.

oldbobcat said:
If State had their frames made in the US, they'd be bragging about it all over their webpage, like Shinola. My guess is they're made somewhere in Asia, even the Velo Vie Vecteur. No problem. These days nobody does hydroformed aluminum as well as the Taiwanese and now their job shops in mainland China.

Not to worry, though. I've worked on some of their single speeds and urban utility bikes, and they look and feel like good value. I wouldn't hesitate to add them to my short list.
You have a valid point about their manufacturing. It doesn't really matter to me, I just know people often ask. When I went to the bike shop, that's what I was told but at the end of the day only State would know. I'm definitely leaning towards them as others have told me that they seem very stable and sturdy. I am adding them to my list for sure. I'll have to let you know what I end up with in the end!

Thank you so much for your response.