Opinions on aluminum frames?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Archer, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Pete, please move along now. In the last four days there has only been four people read this
    > > thread besides the three of you guys posting lame flex crap.
    > >
    > > **Due to a lack of interest this thread has been terminated.**
    >
    > Right, thanks Fab, I don't know what I was thinking.

    That's OK, neither do I. Nor, do I suspect, do you know what I'm thinking.

    Mike

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
    > > Hey Fab you have been working ths whole off season (plus half of the training one too) so what
    > > bike hae you bought to relplace the CAAD2 you where riding???.
    >
    > Well, Me, Erik Zabel and the rest of the team Telekom crew have each been supplied with six custom
    > built Pinarello Prince LS frames for the 2003 season. They are from the Treviso shop and Fausto
    > Pinarello assures me the Dedacciai --X1X tubing we're using is half a pound lighter that the SC
    > 61.10A tubes used for the standard Prince frames that guys like you get stuck with.
    >
    > I tell you something, Me and Andreas Kloden are really doing these top frames justice at the
    > Tirreno - Adriatico right now.

    Cool. Fabrizio rides a Pinarello, just like me!

    Mine's a Pinarello <mumble>. But I did just transplant a carbon fork onto it, replacing the stock
    chrome fork.

    Why? To save 250 grams of course!

    No, actually, to save the chrome fork, which was beautiful but starting to rust a lot. Carbon fibre
    doesn't rust. And I got a smoking deal on the fork (thanks, Dave!)

    Also, the fork is purple, which goes well with the Italian blue/chrome of the rest of the bike, and
    contrasts nicely with the orange seat.

    -RjC, Style Master.

  3. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Also, the fork is purple, which goes well with the Italian blue/chrome of the rest of the bike,
    > and contrasts nicely with the orange seat.
    >
    > -RjC, Style Master.

    Purle? blue/chrome? Orange? Ryan let me suggest that you had best try and erase this message before
    Fab sees it.

  4. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine->

    > Mine's a Pinarello <mumble>. But I did just transplant a carbon fork onto it, replacing the stock
    > chrome fork.

    I just hope you went with a carbon threadless steerer tube. I put on the Time Stiletto carbon fork
    two years ago and really feel better about myself. That fork really has improved my profile shot, I
    can see from the reaction of people that it really looks great, with the yellow TIME graphics and
    oversized section when seen from a side view.

    This will be the third season with it and I'm starting to get a little bored with it now, my bike is
    always in the front room at home where I can watch it. Now I'm starting to really need the new Time
    carbon - Avant - with the Monoblok high modulus carb and Vectran contruction, this one has a kevlar
    steering tube.

  5. "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine->
    >
    >> Mine's a Pinarello <mumble>. But I did just transplant a carbon fork onto it, replacing the stock
    >> chrome fork.
    >
    > I just hope you went with a carbon threadless steerer tube. I put on the Time Stiletto carbon fork
    > two years ago and really feel better about myself. That fork really has improved my profile shot,
    > I can see from the reaction of people that it really looks great, with the yellow TIME graphics
    > and oversized section when seen from a side view.
    >
    > This will be the third season with it and I'm starting to get a little bored with it now, my bike
    > is always in the front room at home where I can watch it. Now I'm starting to really need the new
    > Time carbon - Avant - with the Monoblok high modulus carb and Vectran contruction, this one has a
    > kevlar steering tube.

    Fab whattisthis! You have a CAAD3 or was it 2?

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > Also, the fork is purple, which goes well with the Italian blue/chrome of the rest of the bike,
    > > and contrasts nicely with the orange seat.
    > >
    > > -RjC, Style Master.
    > >

    > Purle? blue/chrome? Orange? Ryan let me suggest that you had best try and erase this message
    > before Fab sees it.

    It's not where I am, it's how far I've come. Mere months ago I was riding a 20-year old dark blue
    Mikado tourer with no stickers, equipped with a non-matching blue lunch box on the rear rack with a
    mountain bike club sticker on it, and I was wearing teal sweatpants and an orange "jersey" that was
    just a synthetic long-sleeve shirt I found at the Salvation Army thrift store. Oh yeah, and another
    one of those orange Selle Italia Nitrox seats I like so much.

    Today, I have decent if sober black shorts, an actual red pro-fit jersey, and yes, the
    purple/blue/orange/chrome bicycle.

    For the sake of Fabrizio's digestion, I'm not going to mention the shoes, the gloves, or the red
    SPD pedals.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine->
    >
    > > Mine's a Pinarello <mumble>. But I did just transplant a carbon fork onto it, replacing the
    > > stock chrome fork.
    >
    > I just hope you went with a carbon threadless steerer tube. I put on the Time Stiletto carbon fork
    > two years ago and really feel better about myself. That fork really has improved my profile shot,
    > I can see from the reaction of people that it really looks great, with the yellow TIME graphics
    > and oversized section when seen from a side view.

    Sorry, beggars can't be choosers. Steel threaded tube. This is my Cat 5 bike, so I figure pushing
    the extra 75 grams will make for better training and a bigger surprise next year when my schedule
    says I will be upgrading from Cat 3 to a fast Cat 2, and getting invitations from the serious local
    teams like Trek/Volkswagen or Escape Velocity. I just hope that awful Velosaurus team doesn't try to
    recruit me: hideous jerseys and a definite "fat master" smell about them. I'd rather wear a
    mountain-bike club jersey, for heaven's sake.

    > This will be the third season with it and I'm starting to get a little bored with it now, my bike
    > is always in the front room at home where I can watch it. Now I'm starting to really need the new
    > Time carbon - Avant - with the Monoblok high modulus carb and Vectran contruction, this one has a
    > kevlar steering tube.

    Such a device is virtually without value on the used market except to especially demented
    collectors, but as president of your fan club, I am planning a memorabilia collection. If you wish,
    actual equipment that you have used in training and virtual competition would make a marvellous
    centrepiece to the current collection.

    :
    : For the sake of Fabrizio's digestion, I'm not going to mention the shoes, the gloves, or the red
    : SPD pedals.

    you just did but anyway give it some time.

    ryan, are you just the president of his fan club or is fabrizio threatening to become your
    mentor as well?
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  9. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine->
    > I just hope that awful Velosaurus team doesn't try to recruit me: hideous jerseys and a definite
    > "fat master" smell about them. I'd rather wear a mountain-bike club jersey, for heaven's sake.

    They're very Kelme like, and you can get away with wearing iBanesto, USPS, Merida, MROZ, Kostritzer,
    team Maia, or even retro stuff like Carrera and Mapei for example.

    Ryan, does E.B. or H.L. know you just called the guys fat masters?

  10. "Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Fab whattisthis! You have a CAAD3 or was it 2?

    Mike, the last time I checked - Jan Raas has Levi Leipheimer and the rest of us over at team
    Rabobank riding C-40s.

    The last time I swung a leg over something from the CAAD3 era I was lining up at the start line at
    races such as the post tour Ronde van het Waalse Gewest with guys like Jesper Skibby and Fondriest.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, David Reuteler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Today, I have decent if sober black shorts, an actual red pro-fit jersey, and yes, the
    > : purple/blue/orange/chrome bicycle.
    > :
    > : For the sake of Fabrizio's digestion, I'm not going to mention the shoes, the gloves, or the red
    > : SPD pedals.
    >
    > you just did but anyway give it some time.
    >
    > ryan, are you just the president of his fan club or is fabrizio threatening to become your mentor
    > as well?

    It's an evolution.

    At first, I wanted to hate Fabrizio, then I wanted to mock Fabrizio, then I wanted to amuse
    Fabrizio, then I wanted to outrun Fabrizio, and now I want to be Fabrizio.

    My conversion started slowly: I was a bicycle commuter on an MTB, and then one day I got a really
    cheap road-style touring bike. That was a big change. Suddenly, I experienced the glory of road
    riding. Then, just recently, I bought a Pinarello with a single STI shifter, primarily for road
    racing. That bike has proven to be so much fun that I wanted more. At my earliest opportunity, I
    swapped out the 750g chromed steel fork for a 500g carbon fibre fork. And it was good!

    I hunger for more. I eagerly await the start of the Tuesday night series, having already won my
    first race. I look over the schedule of races in April, preparing my onslaught on the local Cat 5
    scene. I desire to use my legs as a proverbial chainring, tattooing my legacy on the metaphorical
    calf of the SISU BC Cup series, and when I do, I will dedicate my victory to the man who most
    especially has guided my current path, Fabrizio Mazzoleni.

    Forza me!

  12. >I will dedicate my victory to the man who most especially has guided my current path, Fabrizio
    >Mazzoleni.

    There's a lot to like about Mayonnaise, it goes good with baloney.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  13. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I hunger for more. I eagerly await the start of the Tuesday night series, having already won my
    > first race. I look over the schedule of races in April, preparing my onslaught on the local Cat 5
    > scene. I desire to use my legs as a proverbial chainring, tattooing my legacy on the metaphorical
    > calf of the SISU BC Cup series, and when I do, I will dedicate my victory to the man who most
    > especially has guided my current path, Fabrizio Mazzoleni.
    >
    > Forza me!

    Hey look forward to seeing you there as I often marshal at one of the corners.

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > I hunger for more. I eagerly await the start of the Tuesday night series, having already won my
    > > first race. I look over the schedule of races in April, preparing my onslaught on the local Cat
    > > 5 scene. I desire to use my legs as a proverbial chainring, tattooing my legacy on the
    > > metaphorical calf of the SISU BC Cup series, and when I do, I will dedicate my victory to the
    > > man who most especially has guided my current path, Fabrizio Mazzoleni.
    > >
    > > Forza me!
    > >

    > Hey look forward to seeing you there as I often marshal at one of the corners.

    plain red jersey, blue/chrome Pinarello with ratty decals and a purple Trek OCLV fork, in the
    Cat 5 race.

    I think there will only be one person sporting that look...

    After, we can go to Zoot's bike polo matches and protest his outrageous treatment of Fabrizio.