Opinions on Bar Tape?

tepidarium

Nov 21, 2003
Hi,

I'm interested in your opinions on good bar tape. I'm looking for something that will provide superior comfort.

I am presently considering either Cinelli cork tape or Cinelli cork tape with gel.

What do you think? Any other comf brands?

I am looking at this website and they suggest using a 2mm rubber tape underlayer as a first layer and then overlaying tape...what do you think?

Here's the site:
http://www.branfordbike.com/trim/trim1.html

Originally posted by tepidarium
Hi,

I'm interested in your opinions on good bar tape. I'm looking for something that will provide superior comfort.

I am presently considering either Cinelli cork tape or Cinelli cork tape with gel.

I am looking at this website and they suggest using a 2mm rubber tape underlayer as a first layer and then overlaying tape...what do you think?

Here's the site:

The mech. at my LBS said Bontrager's tape is nice stuff. He said you could pull it pretty tight without fear of it ripping or tearing if thats a concern. (They call it there Bontrager Powercork tape).

Originally posted by tepidarium
Hi,

Here's the site:

I have Cinelli gel, and its better than regular, I dont think I'd race with it, I like being able to feel my traction levels, etc. but for training its better. To be honest I'm looking for even more comfort. Maybe I'll try the comfot kit branford recomends.

Dave

Cinelli cork tape all the way. Forget the gel, too thick and sqooshy.

A very personal subjec -- sort of like saddles, but with less discomfort at stake. Bontrager tape ain't bad; it's sort of thick, tight, and grippy, with that means anything to you.

Cinelli cork is classic and feels good. It's a bit more shear and wraps a bit smoother than the Bontrager stuff. Deda is similar. Time makes an interesting tape -- it's of the harder, shinier, variety; it looks and feels like textured, woven arcylic. Velo makes a rubbery tape which is unique as well.

Bottom line is that most of the key brands out there will work fine -- they'll hold up for a year or three, and stay put. Go with what feels ok and doesn't look too silly.

Originally posted by meehs
Cinelli cork tape all the way. Forget the gel, too thick and sqooshy.

Ditto for me, the Cinelli cork is thick enough. Gel just feels weird.

not to be low-cork (i.e., low brow on the subject of bar tape), having tried all the cork tape (including Colnago), I like ... brace yourself ... fake-cork tape, i.e., the cheap brand X thick plastic stuff. I don't want vibrating hands connected to 120 psi for several hours at a stretch. I wear neoprene palm gloves and just love not feeling every dimple in the road. Maybe it's being 50+. Waddya think, Deanster? BTW, how do you like your new Ti/CF frame?

Specialized has their "bar phat" tape that uses gel pads that go on the bar, then have the tape wrapped over them. if you're looking for REALLY comfy grips, i'd go with that. however, i'm going to guess that you don't want to race with it.

Specialized has their "bar phat" tape that uses gel pads that go on the bar, then have the tape wrapped over them. if you're looking for REALLY comfy grips, i'd go with that. however, i'm going to guess that you don't want to race with it.

I highly recommend this stuff, the gel is not all "squishy" like people have complained, its soft enought to absorb vibration and not make the bars feel goofy. Its truely great stuff, i switched this on to my bike not to long ago after my bar tape start to tear. This is really great stuff, check into it!!!

The cinelli gel is great.
I suspect people who posted before never tried it. In fact if you wrap it tight (it's harder to break than the original cinelli cork) it's not squooshy or too tick at all and it provides a really good grip.