Opinions on Bikes

jitteringjr

Sep 2, 2003
To replace my wrecked Jamis, I am considering the following options: (There may be better options elsewhere, but these are what I have available at the local bike stores.)

2004 Orbea Mitis 4 Double with full Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite or Ksyrium Equipe wheels. With this one, I would have a complete custom setup with a full fitting and would be able to do it for about $2000.
Here are the basic specs ( I would get the green frame)
http://www.orbea-usa.com/Bikes.php?id=10
I can also spend about $200 more and get the same specs on a Kestrel Talon with a carbon frame from these guys.

2003 Lemond Zurich brand new still left in the store with full Ultegra, steel frame and Bontager Race Lite wheels marked down to $1550 from over $2000

2005 Cannondale R1000 with full Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite wheels for about $1800 ( I will have to wait a couple of months for this to come in)

2005 Trek 5000 with mostly Ultegra and Bontrager Race wheels for $1999

2004 Giant TCR with mostly Ultegra with upgraded Ksyrium Elite wheels for $1900

2005 Fuji Team Superlite with full Ultegra (Not sure what wheels will be on the new model )for $1999 ( I will have to wait a couple of months for this to come in too)

Or I can wait a month or so to see what Felt can do for me in this price range when their 2005 models come out.

What is everyone’s opinion on these? Obviously, getting a full fitting included is a big bonus and is why I am really leaning toward the Orbea custom job. The other bikes are from stores where they don't custom fit the bikes at least normally and then probably only at a charge.

jitteringjr said:
To replace my wrecked Jamis, I am considering the following options: (There may be better options elsewhere, but these are what I have available at the local bike stores.)

2004 Orbea Mitis 4 Double with full Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite or Ksyrium Equipe wheels. With this one, I would have a complete custom setup with a full fitting and would be able to do it for about $2000.
Here are the basic specs ( I would get the green frame)
http://www.orbea-usa.com/Bikes.php?id=10
I can also spend about $200 more and get the same specs on a Kestrel Talon with a carbon frame from these guys.

2003 Lemond Zurich brand new still left in the store with full Ultegra, steel frame and Bontager Race Lite wheels marked down to $1550 from over $2000

2005 Cannondale R1000 with full Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite wheels for about $1800 ( I will have to wait a couple of months for this to come in)

2005 Trek 5000 with mostly Ultegra and Bontrager Race wheels for $1999

2004 Giant TCR with mostly Ultegra with upgraded Ksyrium Elite wheels for $1900

2005 Fuji Team Superlite with full Ultegra (Not sure what wheels will be on the new model )for $1999 ( I will have to wait a couple of months for this to come in too)

Or I can wait a month or so to see what Felt can do for me in this price range when their 2005 models come out.

What is everyone’s opinion on these? Obviously, getting a full fitting included is a big bonus and is why I am really leaning toward the Orbea custom job. The other bikes are from stores where they don't custom fit the bikes at least normally and then probably only at a charge.
No likey the Talon (too fragile -- I can flex the top/down tube w/ my fingers!), nor any C-dale. I wouldn't ride a Fuji or Giant (yes, I am a snob), and would worry about the ubiquity of Trek. So that leaves the Lemond and the Orbea.

Aztec said:
No likey the Talon (too fragile -- I can flex the top/down tube w/ my fingers!), nor any C-dale. I wouldn't ride a Fuji or Giant (yes, I am a snob), and would worry about the ubiquity of Trek. So that leaves the Lemond and the Orbea.

Trek Makes Lemonds so that leaves just Orbea then hey?

Any experiences with Fuji, C-dale or Giant? or just bad karma with them?

If it were my gut feeling making your purchasing decision

1. Orbea (can't beat a custom fitting. Plus the green colour is very cool)
2. Cannondale (own two, love 'em both, wouldn't hesitate to buy another)
3. Trek (nice bike, horrendous paint job)
4. Felt (whatever they come up with should be good value)

For what it's worth, I just can't get comfy on a Giant compact frame. I'm a little too big for a medium, and a little too small for a large.

OH YEAH don't forget that any "year 2005" model with Ultegra would have the new 10-speed version.

rek said:
OH YEAH don't forget that any "year 2005" model with Ultegra would have the new 10-speed version.

I have been thinking about it and for me, the 10 speed upgrade is a negative motivator for these reasons:

1. They will not be in stores until November or maybe even December which means I can't ride at all for up to four months.

2. None of the 10 speed versions improve the range of gears over their 9 speed counterparts, they just slap another gear in the middle. Frankly, I have no problem with how smoothly the current 9 speeds transition and I didn't mind the 8 speeds either.

3. The 10 speeds will cost more than the 9 speeds did and still not really give me what I would like which is improved range in the cassette. (Slap an 11 on the 12 or a 27 on the 25s instead but that is just me)

I'm sure the product will rock, but the timing is not right for me. I just would have designed it differently. What do other people think about 10 speed Ultegra? Is it worth paying more money?

jitteringjr said:
Trek Makes Lemonds so that leaves just Orbea then hey?

Any experiences with Fuji, C-dale or Giant? or just bad karma with them?

Some love C-dales, and I even think they can look cool, but I don't care what anyone says... they are way too jarring of a ride. Most agree on that.

Fuji & Giant... well, like I said, I'm a snob. I like my stuff, or as least as much of it as possible, to be Italian (or at least European or American). Yeah, I make exceptions (like the Dura Ace chain on my Campy setup... with which I crashed hard mere days after installing it!!!!! See??????!!!!!!!!!). :D :eek: