Opinions on cheap schwinn road bikes?

tumbleweed77

Aug 27, 2006
my boyfriend is interested in getting a new bike... perferably a road bike, under $500... While I've been cycling for 2 years now and ride a scott cr1 pro i don't know much about bikes in this category... ride now he's got his eye on the schwinn seneca at sports chalet for $300... any opinions? any similar bikes to look into? better bikes? he rides about 6 miles round trip to school and back and rides the bike around town so commuter friendly... he may go on some rides with me and my bike club...so the bike would need to be sturdy and steady enough... weight really isn't a huge issue.. just durability.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2427135&cp=2268694&parentPage=family

You've got to be kidding me. The Scott cr1 pro is nothing to sniffle at, you must fly on that and have fun doing it. Which begs the question as to why you would date someone who isn't into riding?:confused: Sorry if I seem harsh but I would love to date a girl that rides a couple thousand dollar bike. Having that of been said I think the Schwinn is fine but for roughly 600-700 the step up to a entry level bike like a Trek1000 would get your boyfriend on a bike with brifters/sora gruppo. Or some savvy searching and luck may find a nice clean used bike with similiar components on ebay for about the same money as that schwinn will be new. As I said the schwinn is fine for commuting and the occasional easy ride but if your boyfriend may want to get a little more serious about riding then he may want to step up a click or two. Its not the frame or wieght that makes the schwinn less desireable as it is the shifting components.

yes, I cannot tell you how much I love my bike which I've had for 15 months now, my heart beats fast whenever i walk by it. ... unfortunately I've not been able to ride it much as I have had injuries for the past year that has kept me off the bike for long periods of time...currently waiting for a broken wrist to heal :)... as for dating a guy who doesn't ride...we share other common interests. the pickings of young men who are avid cyclists are very slim. i am the youngest in my cycling club of 150 members by min 15 years.

but as for bike buying... thanks for getting to why schwinns in this price category aren't worth buying... he's interested now in a hybrid since he doesn't actually go for a leisure ride...just commuting. we r going bike shopping saturday since his current bike just broke... he's not willing to spend more than $500... college students are poor.. i'm lucky to be on full scholarship + living stipend + job that I can work 24 hour shifts and live at home = quick save up to buy my bike that makes guys jealous :) (i started with a cheap entry level specialized which i destryed in 2 big crashes... good excuse to upgrade to a bike that fits my level of riding)

*he's also not too keen on the idea of showing off his athletic lower body in lycra :D

tumbleweed77 said:
yes, I cannot tell you how much I love my bike which I've had for 15 months now, my heart beats fast whenever i walk by it. ... unfortunately I've not been able to ride it much as I have had injuries for the past year that has kept me off the bike for long periods of time...currently waiting for a broken wrist to heal :)... as for dating a guy who doesn't ride...we share other common interests. the pickings of young men who are avid cyclists are very slim. i am the youngest in my cycling club of 150 members by min 15 years.

but as for bike buying... thanks for getting to why schwinns in this price category aren't worth buying... he's interested now in a hybrid since he doesn't actually go for a leisure ride...just commuting. we r going bike shopping saturday since his current bike just broke... he's not willing to spend more than $500... college students are poor.. i'm lucky to be on full scholarship + living stipend + job that I can work 24 hour shifts and live at home = quick save up to buy my bike that makes guys jealous :) (i started with a cheap entry level specialized which i destryed in 2 big crashes... good excuse to upgrade to a bike that fits my level of riding)

*he's also not too keen on the idea of showing off his athletic lower body in lycra :D

Ha,ha lol. :D Well as far as not wanting to spend more than 500 dollars I would suggest to keep looking online for a nice hybrid. Ebay, some say Bike Nashbar, Bikes Direct is a favorite of mine. Not sure where your from but I live in the greater Boston area and we have this store chain around here called Ski Market. There big product line revolves around winter sports like skiing of course but in the late spring, summer they cater to the cyclist. I can recall a few Scott hybrid bikes in the 400/500 dollar range.They looked nice and equipped with decent entry level components. I actually bought a bike two years ago in September from this place. I paid 500 for a bike that retails for 650. It was a entry level road bike, the Raliegh Cadent 1. Came with Truvativ triple crankset, tektro brakes, a Shimano Sora sti gruppo with the addition of a Tiagra r. derailleur and Alex aluminum rims. This bike is beautiful and in terms of paint color and looks it honestly looks as nice if not nicer than my 5000 dollar Cervelo r3sl. It also rides very nice and fast. Now I'm not saying to buy what I have but I can almost be certain that there will be closeout deals on 2008 models in a month or so. If you have any big sporting good chains in your area those might be places to look for good deals.

tumbleweed77 said:
my boyfriend is interested in getting a new bike... perferably a road bike, under $500... While I've been cycling for 2 years now and ride a scott cr1 pro i don't know much about bikes in this category... ride now he's got his eye on the schwinn seneca at sports chalet for $300... any opinions? any similar bikes to look into? better bikes? he rides about 6 miles round trip to school and back and rides the bike around town so commuter friendly... he may go on some rides with me and my bike club...so the bike would need to be sturdy and steady enough... weight really isn't a huge issue.. just durability.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2427135&cp=2268694&parentPage=family
I bought a Schwinn 700C Hybrid Bike in Target. I changed the seat to a comfortable Gel Seat and have been putting 2-trips a week since July. 10 miles on each day. The Bike is comfortable, it is sturdy and the gears seem to be fine. I think I did get quite a nice Bike for $200. I have been up to 21 miles per hour and average around 12 to 16 during my rides.

The Hybrid Bike seems to be durable because it has a wider tire than a racing Bike although not as wide as a mountain or comfort Bike. It also allows me to go a pretty good speed. Anyway I feel it is on a Hybrid. It has 21 gears and I tend to use mostly 4, 6, 8 & 10 but occasionally will move it up higher.

I have to say it is worth the money but I will probably step up to a racing bike next summer. Although this Bike is comfortable as far as the seat & sitting position go, but I have to say I felt more comfort in my control while riding my old racing Bike. I tend to use this Bike for excercise and find myself racing and keeping up with the other Bikes. Its not that important how fast it is because it is a comfortable well riding Bike. I guess I'm getting into this and will want to step up next summer.

You really have to way the options being what type of terrain he'll be riding on and what type of riding he'll be doing. I will probably still get much use out of this Bike even if I do purchase a racing Bike because the Schwinn will allow for a better variety of riding surfaces and so far has been no trouble..