Opinions on Cosmos wheelset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bluenose, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluenose

Bluenose Guest

Does anyone here have a set of Mavic Cosmos wheels? Any thoughts opinions about the performance etc?

Also, I was talking to a friend about buying a 2nd hand cluster and he mentioned that you have to be
    careful because you have to have a chain with roughly the same km's on it. Even if I were to buy a
    new cluster then I'd have to buy a new chain as well....is this correct?

My current chain has done about 5500km's to date.

Thanks

J

Tags:

2. Harris

Harris Guest

Bluenose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a set of Mavic Cosmos wheels? Any thoughts opinions about the
    > performance etc?

> Also, I was talking to a friend about buying a 2nd hand cluster and he mentioned that you have to
    > be careful because you have to have a chain with roughly the same km's on it. Even if I were to
    > buy a new cluster then I'd have to buy a new chain as well....is this correct?

> My current chain has done about 5500km's to date.

No comment on the Cosmos. But as for the cluster, I wouldn't buy one with significant wear. Your
    chain sounds like it's probably overdue for replacement at 5500 km. Normally a cassette will out
    last several chains if the chains are replaced before they get too worn. When a nominal 12-inch
    section of chain "stretches" to 12-1/16 inch, it sould be replaced. If it isn't, it will cause
    excess wear of the cassette.

A new chain will skip on a worn cassette. But a cassette shouldn't become worn until it's got
    ~20,000 miles if the chain is replaced regularly.

Art Harris

3. johnbeem

johnbeem New Member

I bought a pair of Mavic Cosmos about a year ago. I liked them for their low spin weight, but the front wheel twice and now the rear wheel have developed squeaks that I haven't been able to get rid of. I am planning to buy replacements and use these as backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.