Opinions on fenders

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mike, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I am looking at SKS, Rans and Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good or bad on any of these models?

    TIA, Mike

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I am looking at SKS, Rans and Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good or bad on any of
    > these models?

    I think RANS (old style), and I know Lightning and HP Velotechnic are SKS/ESGE fenders. I prefer
    the HP Velotechnik because they come with mudflaps. Others have given good reviews of the Planet
    Bike fenders.

    The HP Velotechnik are cheaper than RANS and Lightning by far.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Mike <[email protected]> writes
    >I am looking at SKS, Rans and Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good or bad on any of these models?

    Nothing to say about the Rans and Planet Bike, never come across them, I suspect they don't make it
    to the UK.

    However, SKS (ESGE as was) are excellent, the chromoplastic material is very strong and resilient,
    good quality stainless steel fittings, they last for years.

    In the UK they are pretty much considered the best mudguards, I and plenty of others don't use
    anything else.
    --
    Chris French

  4. Db

    Db Guest

    I adapted Planet Bike fenders to my Rotator Tiger. Quality is good, they're stiff and don't rattle,
    mud flaps are very effective, they're robust, and they're cheap. Bought mine at Hostelshoppe.

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking at SKS, Rans and Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good or
    bad
    > on any of these models?
    >
    > TIA, Mike

  5. People express their opinions by putting bumper stickers on their cars. Why shouldn't bike riders
    display their opinions on their fenders?

    Steve McDonald

  6. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I am looking at SKS, Rans and Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good or bad on any of these
    > > models?
    >
    > I think RANS (old style), and I know Lightning and HP Velotechnic are SKS/ESGE fenders. I prefer
    > the HP Velotechnik because they come with mudflaps. Others have given good reviews of the Planet
    > Bike fenders.
    >
    > The HP Velotechnik are cheaper than RANS and Lightning by far.

    I had Planet Bike fenders on my Rotator Tiger (dual 406 tires). I have the RANS fenders on my Rocket
    (again, dual 406 tires). Perhaps because the RANS fenders are made for their bikes while the Planet
    Bikes are used for a variety of bikes, but I think the RANS fenders fit a little better. The Planet
    Bikes seemed a little too long and therefore didn't look as "tailored" as the RANS. But both did
    their job. As to the Planet bike "mudflap" if you like the style fine. I didn't think they made any
    difference in terms of utility.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

    Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket

  7. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote
    > [...] fenders. Any comments good or bad

    I've had RANS fenders on my TE for 4000+ miles. I did add zip ties to attach the fender to the rear
    rack at about the one o'clock position. No indication of cracking or aging of the plastic. No signs
    of wear around rivets holding mounting brackets either.

    Jon Meinecke

  8. Kevins

    Kevins Guest

    Do you really want people in cars behind you trying to get close enough to read your fender sticker?

    "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > People express their opinions by putting bumper stickers on their cars. Why shouldn't bike
    > riders display their opinions on their fenders?
    >
    > Steve McDonald

  9. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > People express their opinions by putting bumper stickers on their cars. Why shouldn't bike riders
    > display their opinions on their fenders?
    >
    > Steve McDonald

    Gotcha covered: I've got a couple "Bicycle Friendly" stickers on my rear fender:
    http://www.bicyclefriendly.org/, while my wife has a Bikesummer sticker left over from a couple
    years ago.

    Around here (Portland, Oregon), all of the "real" riders have full fenders on their bikes. Only
    poseurs ride without fenders.

    Jeff

  10. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Hi Mike,

    I use Planet Bike fenders on my Burley Canto. They are great. I have had absolutely 0 problems with them. When looking for fenders, I noticed that Hostel Shoppe had some (not Planet Bike) fenders specially adapted for Burleys and some other recumbents for $40.

    But I got the Planet Bikes for much cheaper.

    I notice their website now does not even list those other fenders. The say "we talked a company into making quality fenders". That is a bald faced lie. Those fenders were around when Hostel Shoppe was peddling the others.

  11. David Bogie

    David Bogie Guest

    If you ride in rain often, consider adding a mudflap to the front fender. There are many on the
    market and you can easily make one out of lots of different stuff. Attach a cheapie or homemade with
    Velcro, attach a real one with bolts and aircraft nuts.

    Huge difference! My Tour Easy's seat would fill up with spray from the front wheel. Not any more.

    david boise ID

  12. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest

    "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike wrote:
    > > I am looking at SKS, Rans and Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good
    or
    > > bad on any of these models?
    >

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I use Planet Bike fenders on my Burley Canto. They are great. I have had absolutely 0 problems
    > with them. When looking for fenders, I noticed that Hostel Shoppe had some (not Planet Bike)
    > fenders specially adapted for Burleys and some other recumbents for $40.
    >
    > But I got the Planet Bikes for much cheaper.
    >
    > I notice their website now does not even list those other fenders. The say "we talked a company
    > into making quality fenders". That is a bald faced lie. Those fenders were around when Hostel
    > Shoppe was peddling the others.
    >

    > --
    > Derek, Burley Canto
    >
    > Derek, Burley Canto

    Actually, it says: "Finally, we've talked a fender company into offering quality fenders in
    individual packaging". Did PB sell their fenders individually before or only as a front/rear pair?

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Steve McDonald wrote:

    > People express their opinions by putting bumper stickers on their cars. Why shouldn't bike
    > riders display their opinions on their fenders?

    I saw a "Daley" tailbox this spring (in the Chicago area, of course).

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    mike s wrote:

    > I had Planet Bike fenders on my Rotator Tiger (dual 406 tires). I have the RANS fenders on my
    > Rocket (again, dual 406 tires). Perhaps because the RANS fenders are made for their bikes while
    > the Planet Bikes are used for a variety of bikes, but I think the RANS fenders fit a little
    > better. The Planet Bikes seemed a little too long and therefore didn't look as "tailored" as the
    > RANS. But both did their job. As to the Planet bike "mudflap" if you like the style fine. I didn't
    > think they made any difference in terms of utility.

    Mike,

    Do you have the front fender mounted in the stock manner? I kept catching the front fender on my
    Rocket with my feet, so I removed the front struts and cut the fender off about 6 inches in front of
    the fork. The fender still keeps water off of the BB area, and the low speed maneuvering is
    improved, since the foot to fender contact is eliminated.

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  15. Review Boy

    Review Boy Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:V3ocb.6518> I am looking at SKS, Rans and
    Planet Bike fenders. Any comments good or bad on any of these models?

    > TIA, Mike

    Mike -

    My dealer installed what he called "Rans" fenders on my Giro, although they have Planet Bike stamped
    on them (are they one in the same?). They seem like good fenders, although there have been two
    problems: 1. After about 800 miles, 10% on single track or gravel roads, there is a small crack in
    the plastic of the rear fender at one of the supports. I expect this will widen and fail,
    eventually;
    2.The rear-most part of the rear fender would 'wag' from side to side at speeds above 15 mph,
    catching air and making me feel like a Fred. Clearly, the supports are not quite adequate. I cut
    about 3-4" off, which seems to have solved the problem.

    Good luck, Ralph

  16. I have some standard fender on my rear wheel (20"). I cut off some plastic with a knife to make room
    for chain.

    My front fenders were made by Steintrikes, they are glassfiber and fiery red is the colour! Today I
    finally got around installing them for proper, seem to work ok. Anybody else have coloured fenders?

    No real pictures of front ones, only
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/Kuvat/bikes/viper/viper0567.jpg (it looks somewhat orange in this
    one). The rear fender is in many of the pictures at http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/viper.html

  17. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    Tom: I have the standard RANS fender on the front wheel and haven't had any problem with foot
    contact. It seems to serve as it was intended.

    Did you do Macomb?

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    mike s wrote:

    > Tom: I have the standard RANS fender on the front wheel and haven't had any problem with foot
    > contact. It seems to serve as it was intended.
    >
    > Did you do Macomb?

    Mike,

    I bent the front struts on my Rocket fender several times before I removed them and a portion of
    the fender.

    I ended up working on Saturday, so I did not make the ride.

    I am planning on doing the Depot ride in White Heath on the 12th.

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers