Opinions on following the TdF in a Motor Home

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mig-L, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mig-L

Mig-L Guest

Never followed Le Grande Boucle and want to tackle the adventure this year.

I'm weighing up the options and would appreciate feedback on the following :
    - Is it legal to park a camper van on a mountain slope in France and spend the night there ?
    - How easy is a 6x2m camper van to maneuver on French MOUNTAIN roads ?
    - Are these vehicles (rental units), Fiat / Citroen Turbo Diesel fuel economical and do they have
    enough power to handle the steep inclines ?

Or am I just better off driving a normal vehicle and pitching tent in the evenings ?

Mig-L (Rep. of South Africa).

Tags:

2. W K

W K Guest

"Mig-L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Never followed Le Grande Boucle and want to tackle the adventure this
    year.
    >
    > I'm weighing up the options and would appreciate feedback on the following
    :
    > - Is it legal to park a camper van on a mountain slope in France and spend the night there ?

Strictly speaking, against the law, as is sleeping in a car. Not that it really matters most of the
    time, but you never know what will happen.

> - How easy is a 6x2m camper van to maneuver on French MOUNTAIN roads ?

Which mountain roads? They have motorways up mountains. Ski resorts have tourist buses up and down
    all winter so they will be sort of OK.

> - Are these vehicles (rental units), Fiat / Citroen Turbo Diesel fuel economical and do they have
    > enough power to handle the steep inclines ?

Don't know... "enough power" ? get them in a low gear and they will get there eventually.

> Or am I just better off driving a normal vehicle and pitching tent in the evenings ?

possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.