Opinions on following the TdF in a Motor Home

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mig-L, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Mig-L

    Mig-L Guest

    Never followed Le Grande Boucle and want to tackle the adventure this year.

    I'm weighing up the options and would appreciate feedback on the following :
    - Is it legal to park a camper van on a mountain slope in France and spend the night there ?
    - How easy is a 6x2m camper van to maneuver on French MOUNTAIN roads ?
    - Are these vehicles (rental units), Fiat / Citroen Turbo Diesel fuel economical and do they have
    enough power to handle the steep inclines ?

    Or am I just better off driving a normal vehicle and pitching tent in the evenings ?

    Mig-L (Rep. of South Africa).

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "Mig-L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Never followed Le Grande Boucle and want to tackle the adventure this
    year.

    > I'm weighing up the options and would appreciate feedback on the following
    :
    > - Is it legal to park a camper van on a mountain slope in France and spend the night there ?

    Strictly speaking, against the law, as is sleeping in a car. Not that it really matters most of the
    time, but you never know what will happen.

    > - How easy is a 6x2m camper van to maneuver on French MOUNTAIN roads ?

    Which mountain roads? They have motorways up mountains. Ski resorts have tourist buses up and down
    all winter so they will be sort of OK.

    > - Are these vehicles (rental units), Fiat / Citroen Turbo Diesel fuel economical and do they have
    > enough power to handle the steep inclines ?

    Don't know... "enough power" ? get them in a low gear and they will get there eventually.

    > Or am I just better off driving a normal vehicle and pitching tent in the evenings ?

    possible.