Opinions on following the TdF in a Motor Home

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mig-L, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Mig-L

    Mig-L Guest

    Never followed Le Grande Boucle and want to tackle the adventure this year.

    I'm weighing up the options and would appreciate feedback on the following :
    - Is it legal to park a camper van on a mountain slope in France and spend the night there ?
    - How easy is a 6x2m camper van to maneuver on French MOUNTAIN roads ?
    - Are these vehicles (rental units), Fiat / Citroen Turbo Diesel fuel economical and do they have
    enough power to handle the steep inclines ?

    Or am I just better off driving a normal vehicle and pitching tent in the evenings ?

    Mig-L (Rep. of South Africa).

    Tags:

  2. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Don't know if its legal to park on the mountains but plenty of French, Dutch and Belgians do it. We
    have taken the car to the alps a few times, camped on sites but did intend to camp wild on the top
    of the Galibier in '96 ! We decided against it when we got there due to the inclement weather -
    ended up sleeping in the car in the valley. I have travelled over the cols including the Galibier on
    a 36 seat bus, thankfully I was not driving.

    Afraid I don;t know about the vehicles