Opinions on following the TdF in a Motor Home

Mig-L

Guest
Never followed Le Grande Boucle and want to tackle the adventure this year.

I'm weighing up the options and would appreciate feedback on the following :
- Is it legal to park a camper van on a mountain slope in France and spend the night there ?
- How easy is a 6x2m camper van to maneuver on French MOUNTAIN roads ?
- Are these vehicles (rental units), Fiat / Citroen Turbo Diesel fuel economical and do they have
enough power to handle the steep inclines ?

Or am I just better off driving a normal vehicle and pitching tent in the evenings ?

Mig-L (Rep. of South Africa).

Don't know if its legal to park on the mountains but plenty of French, Dutch and Belgians do it. We
have taken the car to the alps a few times, camped on sites but did intend to camp wild on the top
of the Galibier in '96 ! We decided against it when we got there due to the inclement weather -
ended up sleeping in the car in the valley. I have travelled over the cols including the Galibier on
a 36 seat bus, thankfully I was not driving.

Afraid I don;t know about the vehicles