Opinions on Garmin Edge 305

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kendall wrote:
>>
>> The Foretrex doesn't have cadence (does it?) and is not SiRF.

> 1. Correct. What irked me about the Forerunner was that I was not
> able to set the split feature to be suitable rowing.
> 2. I dunno if it's SiRF or not. But that's a chipset, right? What is
> the effect of SiRF on functionality? Not saying there isn't any, just
> that I don't know what it is.
>
> dkl

SiRF is a chipset that apparently locks on faster, is more responsive and
holds a signal better under most conditions. People experienced with GPS
seem to rave about it. Personally I don't have any experience with GPS and
don't know.

Kendall

Skippy wrote:

> Owning the older Legend, and having looked at the Legend C, the mapping was
> far from detailed enough for navigation away from classifed roads (UK). I'm
> happy to stand corrected if the other units do have such maps. It seems
> unlikely that a handheld unit would store anything like the detail of a
> paper map: that was my point.

Highly detailed UK maps are available as an addon to the Legend. Go to
this link: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ and select the City
Navigator Europe or the Topo UK in the MapSource viewer. You should be
able to see street level data -- and these products can download maps
to the Legend.

Richard Bollar wrote:
> Skippy wrote:
>
> > Owning the older Legend, and having looked at the Legend C, the mapping was
> > far from detailed enough for navigation away from classifed roads (UK). I'm
> > happy to stand corrected if the other units do have such maps. It seems
> > unlikely that a handheld unit would store anything like the detail of a
> > paper map: that was my point.

> Highly detailed UK maps are available as an addon to the Legend. Go to
> this link: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ and select the City
> Navigator Europe or the Topo UK in the MapSource viewer. You should be
> able to see street level data -- and these products can download maps
> to the Legend.

The regular (gray-scale screen) Legend is limited to 8 MB of downloaded
map memory which isn't enough to effectively use the current
CityNavigator-Europe product. And some of the features that make this
product more expensive, especially auto-routing capability, are wasted
on that Legend model. MetroGuide-Europe has the same level of detail
but without the auto-routing data and in map segment sizes that are far
more compatible with the regular Legend. I'm not sure about the
segment sizes of Topo-GB, but it may have similar issues with the
regular Legend - I note that it's not listed as compatible by Garmin.

Kendall wrote:
> > 2. I dunno if it's SiRF or not. But that's a chipset, right? What is
> > the effect of SiRF on functionality? Not saying there isn't any, just
> > that I don't know what it is.

> SiRF is a chipset that apparently locks on faster, is more responsive and
> holds a signal better under most conditions. People experienced with GPS
> seem to rave about it. Personally I don't have any experience with GPS and
> don't know.

Interesting!! Google searches show that the Foretrex 201 is SiRF, but
all I have found so far regarding the Forerunner 201 is that "the 205
uses the powerful new SiRF chipset". So dunno if the 201 does or not
but the 201 is old anyway.

I see that I used my Foretrex in my rowing race depicted at
http://www.topolabs.com/dkl/blog/11-07-2004/. And note some
interesting things even with the SiRF chipset: check out the two dots
immediately above the words "Fort McDowell" on the east side of Angel
Island. One is directly west of the other. But of course a 24 foot
rowing shell does not move sideways -- or even turn 90 degrees in less
than several boatlengths. I discussed it with a BLM employee who
seemed to know what he was talking about and he explained to me that
this is probably because I entered or emerged from a shadow in which
one satellite was not visible. Now this makes a lot of sense to me
because there are indeed cliffs rising suddenly from the beach starting
right there. You can see the same thing (I guess) underneath the south
tip of Belvedere Island.

What I haven't figured out yet is why the dots are far apart at the
beginning of the race, going eastward under the southern shore of Angel
Island, and then close together towards the end of the race, going
southwest thru Raccon Strait. The tide was going out, and the trip
thru raccoon straight was like being on a moving sidewalk. And I
didn't adjust the settings during the race. I wouldhave expected the
opposite. Perhaps I had the breadcrumb interval set to 'auto', hatever
that implies. Lately I just leave it on one second and it stores a
couple hours of datapoints at that setting before filling up.

-dkl

SuperPoo wrote:
> I have had my edge for a month now. Other than issues speed spikes coming in
> and out of tunnels it has worked well. It is more of a training aide than a
> navigation device-- though you can navigate using preloaded courses. You can
> lso display up to 16 data fields between the two "virtual" computer displays
> while riding. Using workouts and courses you can race a virtual partner. The
> firmware is upgradeable and Garmin seems to be actively supporting consumer
> input. In the month I have had mine Garmin has issued two firmware updates.
> I would recommend getting the cadence and speed sensor because gps for speed
> is a bit jumpy for my liking.

Cool! Can I get you to write up an article "How to train with your
Garmin Edge" for my new site? If you put this line in the /etc/hosts
file of your Linux box, you can see what I'm up to:

66.220.3.186 www.rowplot.com row

Still have to hook it up to the back end obviously, and add
decorations, and HRM support, so it will be several more weekends
before it's usable.

Anyone have a Timex Bodylink?

dkl

"Richard Bollar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Skippy wrote:
>
>> Owning the older Legend, and having looked at the Legend C, the mapping
>> was
>> far from detailed enough for navigation away from classifed roads (UK).
>> I'm
>> happy to stand corrected if the other units do have such maps. It seems
>> unlikely that a handheld unit would store anything like the detail of a
>> paper map: that was my point.

> Highly detailed UK maps are available as an addon to the Legend. Go to
> this link: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ and select the City
> Navigator Europe or the Topo UK in the MapSource viewer. You should be
> able to see street level data -- and these products can download maps
> to the Legend.

Bridleways? Contours?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:14:22 +0100, "Skippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Skippy wrote:
>>> "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Well that depends on how good you are at navigating! I bet you can get
>>> lat/lon or local grid coordinates out.

>> Not clear to me that it displays either of those. I think it will show
>> you graphically which way you went and guide you back out the same way,
>> but it won't help you find a shortcut back.
>>
>>> GPS is very handy and the the 305 looks like a great little box (saw one
>>> at
>>> the weekend). Like most 'outdoor' GPS units it isn't about built in
>>> route
>>> planning or pretty picture maps.

>> These days most of the outdoor GPS units do support mapping. There are
>> still a few basic models that don't like the yellow eTrex and the Geko
>> models, but higher models like the 60C/S/x and LegendC/x or VistaC/x
>> can display detailed maps and let you see alternate paths.

>Owning the older Legend, and having looked at the Legend C, the mapping was
>far from detailed enough for navigation away from classifed roads (UK). I'm
>happy to stand corrected if the other units do have such maps. It seems
>unlikely that a handheld unit would store anything like the detail of a
>paper map: that was my point.
>

>>> It's about positioning and recording. It
>>> uses a SirfStar 3 chipset which is as good as it gets. I'd be tempted by
>>> the HR recording. Lots of lovely data to play with.

>> But the tracklog data is available with the other models that also
>> support mapping as well - just without the HRM. The hiking-oriented
>> models seem much more versatile than the 305.
>>>
>>> The main drawback with it seems to be the internal battery. It's flat...
>>> you're lost... no easy way to turn it back on again.

>> Pretty easy solution - get one of the little holders that take 4 AA
>> cells and use that to recharge when needed.
>>

>Not sure that's a great solution. A replaceable battery, as most older
>units seem to have, seems a lot easier to me.

Forgive my lack of N/G protocol, but thought that I'd jump from the
balcony as a kibitzer and into the fray by adding my .02$ worth about
the Edge 305. I gave my wife one last month and she has had the
occasion to use it frequently. As was previously mentioned, the
little gizmo is just great for collecting and displaying information,
but shouldn't be considered as a navigation device. As one poster
noted, Lat/Long is continously available but not many riders are going
to bring along the 1/50,000 topo map to find their location. Sextants
fall into the same catagory. The thing that the Edge does extremely
well is collect accurate data. The unit itself is very small, light
weight and does not require a wired connection to the sending unit,
located on the rear non drive chainstay for cadence. The display can
be customized for up to 8 data fields with some interesting choices.
Bersides the obvious HR, speed and distance, it also shows %grade.
This is often of interest when recalling data and judging percieved
exertion and climbing speed. The data can be downloaded via USB cable
to your PC and displayed in normal graphic style that many with
Polar's are familiar with. What is absolutely wonderful about the
Garmin is that the information can be dumped into a third party (free)
site called MotionBased. The MotionBased info can be saved on their
server and be manipulated, edited and then overlayed onto Google
Earth. This where the oooohs and ahhhhh's come out. The device was
put to the acid test on a recent (wonderful) ride in Chattanooga
Tennessee, the 3 States 3 mountains ride. When the data was dumped
into MotionBased and overlayed on Google Earth the entire 100 mile
route was perfectly displayed and by tilting the image, the relief of
the map gave a great idea of the vertical challenges of the ride. Of
interest to all was the %grade of the infamous Burkhalter Gap at the
84 mile mark of the ride. The plot showed a brief spike to 22% before
reaching the summit. (whew!) All in all it is a wonderful display of
the route. On previous out and back rides, it even shows going out on
one side of the street and coming back on the other. Very cool. That
said, it is not without issue. As many have noted in the reviews on
Amazon, battery life is not terriffic. We were very concerned that
the battery would die prior to completing the 3S3M ride and to further
test the unit, she allowed the unit to run to exhaustion in the
parkiing lot at the finish. Total life was more than 8 hours. Quite
satisfactory for her. For others interested in longer rides, there is
a blurb going around that has detailed information on how to construct
a 4 AA unit from Radio Shack parts. I don't recall all of it, but
there is a disclaimer/warning not to use standard AA batts, rather use
rechargable ones to preclude an overvoltage problem. The other MAJOR
problem is with computer compatibility. One of our partners on the
ride is a very disgruntled Garmin 305 owner because he cannot get the
unit to work on a MAC. While the website states any pc, it does not
specifically include the non-pc machines. All in all, it's a great
little gadget. I hope this helps.

On Tue, 9 May 2006 18:22:44 +0000 (UTC), Booker C. Bense
<[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>KargoK9 <remove x's> wrote:
>
>>The other MAJOR
>>problem is with computer compatibility. One of our partners on the
>>ride is a very disgruntled Garmin 305 owner because he cannot get the
>>unit to work on a MAC. While the website states any pc, it does not
>>specifically include the non-pc machines. All in all, it's a great
>>little gadget. I hope this helps.

>Umm, it can be used with mac OSX. Unfortunately Garmin's software is
>windows only, but if you download the software from motion based,
>you can use some of their stuff w/the 305. Garmin has stated that
>they will provide mac OSX versions of their software real soon
>mow.
>
>There are various pieces of software than can download the GPS
>tracks in a standard format for use with other mapping programs.
>However, I think you lose the non-standard data such as heart
>rate and cadence.
>
>If you're curious, there is a lot of useful information at the
>Motion Based web site in their forums on the Mac.
>
>_ Booker C. Bense

Dear Booker,

Garmin is Windows, but there's some Linux stuff for Garmin:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....5596400?q=carl+garmin&rnum=1#bb05c7ce15596400

Cheers,

Carl Fogel