opinions on Haluzak Horizon Vs R40 please?

Egww

Guest
I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in decent
shape for several hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate comments on
this bicycle.

JB Jones

"EGWW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
> decent shape for several hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
comments on
> this bicycle.
>
> JB Jones

I ride an R-50 and have a friend with a Horizon. I don't care much for the Horizon seat but like the
steering slightly more than the Vision. Only rode the horizon 10 miles or so tho

I have ridden my Horizon for just over a year and nearly 2,500 miles. The seat is the only negative
I have about the bike. I now use a pad in the seat to give it more comfort, but it is learned skill
to bring your foot down at stops due to its design.

The bike rides like a dream. Test rode a Vision the day I test rode the Haluzak and both bikes would
have been acceptable, but the Horizon was noticeably better quality and ride comfort. Steering took
some getting used to but now I consider it another of its pluses, handling is very good. Would
highly recommend this bike for anybody considering a USS SWB bent.

I too like the steering. It is a linkage steering rather than a direct connect. I think it is the
best USS out there. Very nice. I also don't care for the seat. Still would I buy one in descent
shape for $700 or less. You bet!

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

"m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<lt2na.228506$Zo.42576@sccrnsc03>...
> "EGWW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
> > decent shape for several hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
> comments on
> > this bicycle.
> >
> > JB Jones
>
> I ride an R-50 and have a friend with a Horizon. I don't care much for the Horizon seat but like
> the steering slightly more than the Vision. Only rode the horizon 10 miles or so tho

I'll ditto the seat biz, though most folks seem to adjust. I love my Horizon and just use a pad to
make the seat perfectly comfy. Vision is a great bike, tho. One big thing in the Horizon's favor is
the "passive" suspension. It *really* works. If you get a suspension fork, you get one plush ride
with less weight than a conventional, fully suspended bike.

Scott

Scott

"EGWW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I want to thank you all for your informed comments. the one I am looking
at
> does have front fork suspension. and shimano 105 components...I dont know
how
> old it is
>
> Horizon seat is clearly less adjustable and appears less inviting for a
rear
> rack than Vision but several of you have offered your solution to
uncomfortable
> seat...I will ride it today and will be pleased if steering is less
"twitchy"
> as many describe R40

I found the steering of the Horizon more twitchy than my Vision although like anything else if I had
more time on it I might think different. This Horizon had a rack added and it seemed to work pretty
well, the owner of the bike drilled through the back seat post to mount the braces.

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "EGWW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
> > > decent shape for
several
> > > hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
> > comments on
> > > this bicycle.
> > >
> > > JB Jones
> >
> > I ride an R-50 and have a friend with a Horizon. I don't care much for
the
> > Horizon seat but like the steering slightly more than the Vision. Only
rode
> > the horizon 10 miles or so tho
>
> I'll ditto the seat biz, though most folks seem to adjust. I love my Horizon and just use a pad to
> make the seat perfectly comfy. Vision is a great bike, tho. One big thing in the Horizon's favor
> is the "passive" suspension. It *really* works. If you get a suspension fork, you get one plush
> ride with less weight than a conventional, fully suspended bike.
>
> Scott
>
> Scott

I just tried the Horizon again today, while I do like the steering I now HATE the seat. I think the
problem is it's at an almost 90 degree angle whereas my Vision is much less, the velcro seat was
fine however the metal frame extends too far at the base and I end up ploping into it instead of
gently sitting down.

If the seat is angled forward it would have been better but I'd rather have it back as far as
it goes which brings the front of the seat way too far up. Now if the Horizon had a Rans seat
I'd like it

EGWW wrote:
> I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
> decent shape for several hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
> comments on this bicycle.
>
> JB Jones

USS is great, and indirect USS is the best (just say no...to tiller).

The seat is great, and the angle is adjustable.

The difficulty in putting a foot on the ground is overstated.

The passive suspension is sweet (I think a suspended fork is not necessary).

The straight chain path is beautiful.

The chain idler is neat.

The frame design is wonderfully elegant simplicity.

To ride it is to love it.

--------------040600030103060406020800 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

The seat back angle on my horizon is adjustable. You can almost lay down in it.

m..leuck wrote:

>"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>>"m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>several

>>> comments on

>>>I ride an R-50 and have a friend with a Horizon. I don't care much for
>>>

>the
>

>>>Horizon seat but like the steering slightly more than the Vision. Only
>>>

>rode
>

>>>the horizon 10 miles or so tho
>>>

>>I'll ditto the seat biz, though most folks seem to adjust. I love my Horizon and just use a pad to
>>make the seat perfectly comfy. Vision is a great bike, tho. One big thing in the Horizon's favor
>>is the "passive" suspension. It *really* works. If you get a suspension fork, you get one plush
>>ride with less weight than a conventional, fully suspended bike.
>>
>>Scott
>>
>>Scott
>>

>I just tried the Horizon again today, while I do like the steering I now HATE the seat. I think the
>problem is it's at an almost 90 degree angle whereas my Vision is much less, the velcro seat was
>fine however the metal frame extends too far at the base and I end up ploping into it instead of
>gently sitting down.
>
>If the seat is angled forward it would have been better but I'd rather have it back as far as
>it goes which brings the front of the seat way too far up. Now if the Horizon had a Rans seat
>I'd like it

--------------040600030103060406020800 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

</head> <body> The seat back angle on my horizon is adjustable. You can almost lay down in
it.<br> <br>
n..leuck wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="middNnna.481114$L1.139902@sccrnsc02"> <pre
wrap="">"Scott" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:[email protected]">news:b4-
wrap="">"m..leuck" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message </pre>
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:[email protected]">news:200-
have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in decent

type="cite"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Horizon seat but like the steering slightly more
Horizon and just use a pad to make the seat perfectly comfy. Vision is a great bike, tho. One big
thing in the Horizon's favor is the "passive" suspension. It *really* works. If you get a suspension
fork, you get one plush ride with less weight than a conventional, fully suspended bike.

Scott

like the steering I now HATE the seat. I think the problem is it's at an almost 90 degree angle
whereas my Vision is much less, the velcro seat was fine however the metal frame extends too far at
the base and I end up ploping into it instead of gently sitting down.

If the seat is angled forward it would have been better but I'd rather have it back as far as
it goes which brings the front of the seat way too far up. Now if the Horizon had a Rans seat
I'd like it

--------------040600030103060406020800--

------=_NextPart_000_025F_01C308F7.A6E55EA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

But the angle between the seat bottom and seat back is fixed. I think = that's the issue at hand.
And, if you lay the 'Zak seat back, it becomes = even more difficult to reach the ground.

I think the trick to making a 'Zak seat work is messing with the strap = tensions until it works for
you. Took 6 or 10 tries before mine was = "right" haven't felt the need to touch it since.

As always, YMMV

<Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

m..leuck wrote:

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
=20
[...]

------=_NextPart_000_025F_01C308F7.A6E55EA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
5.50.4807.2300" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But the angle between the seat bottom = and seat back=20 is
fixed. I think that's the issue at hand. And, if you lay the 'Zak = seat back,=20 it becomes
even more difficult to reach the ground.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think the trick to making a 'Zak seat = work is=20 messing with
the strap tensions until it works for you. Took 6 or 10 = tries=20 before mine was "right"
haven't felt the need to touch it = since.</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As always, YMMV</FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><Chas><BR>Haluzak Hybrid Race -- = the inline=20
wheelchair</FONT></DIV>
<DXI> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
= BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DXII>"Tracy" <<A = href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>=20 wrote in
message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</A>...</=
DIV>The=20
seat back angle on my horizon is adjustable. You can almost lay = down in=20
it.<BR><BR>m..leuck wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"middNnna.481114$L1.139902@sccrnsc02" =
type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">"Scott" <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></A> = wrote in message <A
class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:b41df4=
[email protected]</A>... </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE
wrap=3D"">"m..leuck" <A = class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></A> wrote = in message
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE =
wrap=3D""><!---->news:<lt2na.228506$Zo.42576@sccrnsc03&gt;... </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE
type=3D"cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">"EGWW" <A =
class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E = href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></A>
wrote in message <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:2003041520=
[email protected]</A>... </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">I have
owned a Vision = R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
decent shape for </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE =
wrap=3D""><!---->several </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite">
<BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">hundred bucks....I have = not followed the group
and would appreciate </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""> comments on </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE
type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">this bicycle.

JB Jones </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">I ride an R-50 and have a = friend with a Horizon. I
don't care much for </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!---->the </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE
type=3D"cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">Horizon seat but like the = steering
slightly more than the Vision. Only </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!---->rode
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">the horizon 10 miles or =
so tho </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">I'll ditto the seat biz, though = most folks seem to

Scott </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D""><!----> I just tried the Horizon again today, while I do
like the steering I now HATE the seat. I think the problem is it's at an almost 90 degree angle
whereas my Vision is much less, the velcro seat was fine however the = metal frame extends too far
at the base and I end up ploping into it instead = of gently sitting down.

If the seat is angled forward it would have been better but I'd rather = have it back as far as
it goes which brings the front of the seat way too far = up. Now if the Horizon had a Rans seat
I'd like it

</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_025F_01C308F7.A6E55EA0--

I agree - adjust the seat straps for a comfortable ride. I had to loosen the front to make it easier
to touch the feet to the ground.

But the rack from Haluzak, the rest will not be level or work very well.

Snowman Haluzak Hybrid Horizon 2002 Los Angeles

> The difficulty in putting a foot on the ground is overstated.

I disagree. When I did my major comparison shopping for bents three years ago, the Horizon was my
favorite bike - except for the foot-on-the-ground problem. In the end I decided that was enough of a
problem to kill the deal. After three years of riding bikes that *do* allow me to put my feet down
and balance myself without effort at stoplights, on rest breaks, at baseball games, etc., I'm even
more convinced of the importance.

--
Greg Dunn

"Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> EGWW wrote:
> > I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
> > decent shape for
several
> > hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
comments on
> > this bicycle.
> >
> > JB Jones
>
> USS is great, and indirect USS is the best (just say no...to tiller).
>
> The seat is great, and the angle is adjustable.
>
> The difficulty in putting a foot on the ground is overstated.
>
> The passive suspension is sweet (I think a suspended fork is not
necessary).

> The straight chain path is beautiful.
>
> The chain idler is neat.
>
> The frame design is wonderfully elegant simplicity.
>
> To ride it is to love it.

I just bought a brand new Horizon. I have ridden the Vision but, I like the USS of the Horizon much
better. I owned a Vision with OSS so I am familiar with the Vision seat. I would say that for me,
the Horizon seat is just as comfortable if not more so than the Vision. I am 5' 6.5" tall and weight
around 150 lbs. I've found that the comfort is achieved by loosening the straps on the seat. I have
short legs, so I loosened the seat strap on the edge of the seat a little more to allow my feet to
reach the ground.

Gary

[email protected] (EGWW) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
> decent shape for several hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
> comments on this bicycle.
>
> JB Jones

I have a www.organicengines.com vapor coming, same USS set up as a Haluzak, but the seat height
is considerably lower. Plus the OE seat, is my all time favorite comfy full mesh seat. No squeak
like the 'Zak.

Gary Krause wrote:
> I just bought a brand new Horizon. I have ridden the Vision but, I like the USS of the Horizon
> much better. I owned a Vision with OSS so I am familiar with the Vision seat. I would say that for
> me, the Horizon seat is just as comfortable if not more so than the Vision. I am 5' 6.5" tall and
> weight around 150 lbs. I've found that the comfort is achieved by loosening the straps on the
> seat. I have short legs, so I loosened the seat strap on the edge of the seat a little more to
> allow my feet to reach the ground.
>
> Gary
>

> [email protected] (EGWW) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>I have owned a Vision R40 for several years and have an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in
>>decent shape for several hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate
>>comments on this bicycle.
>>
>>JB Jones

--------------050508070107020706010508 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

I've knocked mine back a hole or two. Yes, you must adjust the bottom seat straps for a good fit.

I also ride on a supplemental pad, otherwise I lose feeling in my toes.

The seat is the only part of the bike that needs an improvement.

wrote:

> But the angle between the seat bottom and seat back is fixed. I think that's the issue at hand.
> And, if you lay the 'Zak seat back, it becomes even more difficult to reach the ground.
>
> I think the trick to making a 'Zak seat work is messing with the strap tensions until it works for
> you. Took 6 or 10 tries before mine was "right" haven't felt the need to touch it since.
>
> As always, YMMV
>
> <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair
>

> "Tracy" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... The seat back angle on my horizon is adjustable. You can almost
> lay down in it.
>
> m..leuck wrote:
>
>>"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>

>>>"m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>several

>>the

>>rode

>>>I'll ditto the seat biz, though most folks seem to adjust. I love my Horizon and just use a pad
>>>to make the seat perfectly comfy. Vision is a great bike, tho. One big thing in the Horizon's
>>>favor is the "passive" suspension. It *really* works. If you get a suspension fork, you get one
>>>plush ride with less weight than a conventional, fully suspended bike.
>>>
>>>Scott
>>>
>>>Scott
>>>

>>I just tried the Horizon again today, while I do like the steering I now HATE the seat. I think
>>the problem is it's at an almost 90 degree angle whereas my Vision is much less, the velcro seat
>>was fine however the metal frame extends too far at the base and I end up ploping into it instead
>>of gently sitting down.
>>
>>If the seat is angled forward it would have been better but I'd rather have it back as far as
>>it goes which brings the front of the seat way too far up. Now if the Horizon had a Rans seat
>>I'd like it

--------------050508070107020706010508 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
I've knocked mine back a hole or two. Yes, you must adjust the bottom seat straps for a good

think that's the issue at hand. And, if you lay the 'Zak seat back, it becomes even more
difficult to reach the ground.</font></div>

<dv> </div>

<dvi><font face="Arial" size="2">I think the trick to making a 'Zak seat work is messing with
the strap tensions until it works for you. Took 6 or 10 tries before mine was "right"
haven't felt the need to touch it since.</font></div>

<dvii> </div>

<dix> </div>

<dx><font face="Arial" size="2"><Chas><br> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline
wheelchair</font></div>

<dxi> </div>

margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;">

<dxii>"Tracy" <<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>> wrote in message <a
href="news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</a>...</div> The seat back
angle on my horizon is adjustable. You can almost lay down in it.<br> <br>
m..leuck wrote:<br>

class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a>
wrote in message <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:b41df48c.0304160651.474b3c86@posti-
ng.google.com">news:[email protected]</a>... </pre>

href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in message </pre>

class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote in
message <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:[email protected]
om">news:[email protected]</a>... </pre>

an opportunity pick up a used Horizon in decent shape for </pre> </blockquote>

wrap="">hundred bucks....I have not followed the group and would appreciate </pre>

wrap=""><!---->rode </pre>

[...]

I've set it all the way back but the problem seems to be it also angles up the front of the seat
so instead of sitting down I "plop" down. If it had the Vision seat it would have been better in
my opinion.

j..leuck wrote:

[...]

"Gary Krause" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just bought a brand new Horizon. I have ridden the Vision but, I like the USS of the Horizon
> much better. I owned a Vision with OSS so I am familiar with the Vision seat. I would say that for
> me, the Horizon seat is just as comfortable if not more so than the Vision. I am 5' 6.5" tall and
> weight around 150 lbs. I've found that the comfort is achieved by loosening the straps on the
> seat. I have short legs, so I loosened the seat strap on the edge of the seat a little more to
> allow my feet to reach the ground.
>
> Gary

I'm 5'10" and I barely could put my feet on the ground with the Horizon, if the seat had just a flat
pad on the bottom I would have had no problem. The rest of the bike was great although I felt the
USS of the Horizon was slightly twitchy compared to the tiller on my USS Vision.