Opinions on Hayes HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David L, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. David L

    David L Guest

    Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on jensonusa.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to Manitou forks, such as my Black?

    Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...

    TIA,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    David L wrote:
    > Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on jensonusa.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to Manitou forks, such as
    > my Black?
    >
    > Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...

    Been running a pair on my Jekyll for 1-1/2 years now. Working VERY well! My only complaint is that
    they have a tendency to squeel if they get any contamination (oil) on the rotor (mud'll fix it :)).
    Although the Hayes pads are good, I prefer EBC green -- they have less of a tendency to squeel.

    They require that you have v-brake levers already. I'm using XTR combo levers (with the rapid-fire
    shifter pods).

    They mount by getting the correct adapter bridge for the caliper to mount to your fork. I don't know
    which one takes no adapter.

    David

    > Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on jensonusa.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to Manitou forks, such as
    > my Black?
    >
    > Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Dave

    They are as good as the Avids, they will mount directly to Manitou post mounts, they require an
    adapter for every other type of fork. Personally I would just take the one of the two that I could
    get the best deal on.
    --
    _________________________

  4. Edwards

    Edwards Guest

    have been running a pair on my rocket 88 for about a year. got em' cheap and lovin them more
    and more...

    edwards

    "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on jensonusa.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to
    Manitou
    > forks, such as my Black?
    >
    > Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Dave

  5. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on jensonusa.
    |
    | Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to
    Manitou
    | forks, such as my Black?
    |
    | Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...
    |
    | TIA,
    |
    | Dave

    Held them in my hands for the very first time today (they are on the 04 Giant Yukon - for the money
    an Ultra-Fantastic machine!) and they are virtually identical to the Avid mechanicals and set up
    exactly the same way. In fact, I like these a bit better, with the cable routing and such. I went by
    the instruction sheet just to be sure the first time through, but they can be set up in your sleep.

    NOW HERE THIS --- "GROUNDCONTROL" SAYS:

    I wish I had disk brake mounts on my MTB to mount these. Yes, I now want disk brakes.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/18/2003