Opinions on Hutchison Python Airlights

Matt

Guest
I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
Airlights.

Lately I've been riding Michelin Hot-S. Nice traction but a little high on the rolling resistance. I
wanted to try a faster rolling tire that has respectable traction in most conditions, but especially
on hardpack trails.

I live up in Southern Ontario, Canada, and the trails around here are muddy come springtime, dry
up good in the summer, and aren't too rocky, but a little rooty. A guy at my local bike shop says
the Python Airlights were surprisingly good in muddier conditions, considering how the tread
looks. I just thought I would see if I could get some second opinions. I'd also be interested in
how they wear.

Any input is much-appreciated.

-matt

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
> Airlights.
>
> Lately I've been riding Michelin Hot-S. Nice traction but a little high
on
> the rolling resistance. I wanted to try a faster rolling tire that has respectable traction in
> most conditions, but especially on hardpack
trails.

> I live up in Southern Ontario, Canada, and the trails around here are
muddy
> come springtime, dry up good in the summer, and aren't too rocky, but a little rooty. A guy at my
> local bike shop says the Python Airlights were surprisingly good in muddier conditions,
> considering how the tread looks.
> just thought I would see if I could get some second opinions. I'd also be interested in how
> they wear.
>
> Any input is much-appreciated.

I use them for a dry weather tyre. I ride very much XC style, nothing too extreme, shingle roads,
some tarmac to get to trails, fireroads etc. They are good on dry gravel roads or hardpack with a
little shingle. Sand and gravel and mud - they're useless. I'd definitely have to disagree with LBS
guy on that one. They don't easily clear themselves of any mud either. Damp conditions like damp
grass, long grass and wet clay - useless. Have had issues with easily damaged and torn sidewalls but
i may have had a bad run on that. I like 'em. Definitely happy to recommend them for dry conditions.

Westie

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
> Airlights.

Any Hutchy tire of the Airlight variety has weak sidewalls - prone to puncture and tear - and I have
found the consistency of Hutchinson tires to be very poor...it's rare to see a perfectly round one,
at least in my experience.

The Python specifically is a fast, dry-condition XC tire, the Airlight version intended to race.
It'll wear fast and work well only in the best of conditions.

For a great all around tire with little rolling resistance, (I've said it before and I'll say it
again) try the IRC Serac. It rules all.

Chris (still running Hutch Mosquitos, despite my scathing post)

> For a great all around tire with little rolling resistance, (I've said it before and I'll say it
> again) try the IRC Serac. It rules all.
>
> Chris (still running Hutch Mosquitos, despite my scathing post)

Chris

I have used the Mosquittos and find that the space between the nubs is so far that I am getting
punctures from small stick and the like. You obviously haven't had that problem. Do you like them in
mud or do you find that they wash in turns? Just trying to figure out why I don't like my
mosquittos.

Bob

> Any input is much-appreciated.

I ran Pythons for about 2 years. As stated earlier, it works very well as a fast-rolling dry
conditions tire. It corners well, as I had the gold compound tires for better cornering. It seemed
to wear pretty evenly and last about as long as any other tire I've tried. My only complaint about
the tire is that they are prone to flats. The carcass is very thin (that's probably why these tires
are so lightweight) and so I flatted quite often. An even more common occurrance was getting slow
leaks from running over tiny cactus needles. I usually had 2-3 slow leaks at any one time from
cactus needles... ugh... what a pain. Using a thicker tire has solved the problem for me. (Tried
Tioga Factory DH and even Panaracer FireXC's work nice).

-John Morgan

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Any input is much-appreciated.
>
> I ran Pythons for about 2 years. As stated earlier, it works very well as
> fast-rolling dry conditions tire. It corners well, as I had the gold compound tires for better
> cornering. It seemed to wear pretty evenly and last about as long as any other tire I've tried. My
> only complaint about the tire is that they are prone to flats. The carcass is very thin
(that's
> probably why these tires are so lightweight) and so I flatted quite often. An even more common
> occurrance was getting slow leaks from running over
tiny
> cactus needles. I usually had 2-3 slow leaks at any one time from cactus needles... ugh... what a
> pain. Using a thicker tire has solved the
problem
> for me. (Tried Tioga Factory DH and even Panaracer FireXC's work nice).
>
> -John Morgan

I've had the same problem with spines and thistles too but I do like the tyre. Did the gold compound
really make much difference? I've been a little sceptical but haven't tried them either. (I found
one of the Continental offerrings (name escapes me unfortunately) was alright too. If it comes to me
in the night, I'll post.)

Westie

> I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
> Airlights.
>
> Lately I've been riding Michelin Hot-S. Nice traction but a little high on the rolling resistance.
> I wanted to try a faster rolling tire that has respectable traction in most conditions, but
> especially on hardpack trails.
>
> I live up in Southern Ontario, Canada, and the trails around here are muddy come springtime, dry
> up good in the summer, and aren't too rocky, but a little rooty. A guy at my local bike shop says
> the Python Airlights were surprisingly good in muddier conditions, considering how the tread
> looks. I just thought I would see if I could get some second opinions. I'd also be interested in
> how they wear.
>
> Any input is much-appreciated.
>
> -matt

I like them but I prefer Michelin XLS or Comp S if you want lower rolling resistance. Plus they are
green so that makes them better right there :) I'm trying the Hot S this year on my ride, they look
about the same as the XLS I was riding except they are red, and red goes faster right?
--
_________________________

> I have used the Mosquittos and find that the space between the nubs is so far that I am getting
> punctures from small stick and the like. You obviously haven't had that problem. Do you like them
> in mud or do you find that they wash in turns? Just trying to figure out why I don't like my
> mosquittos.
>
> Bob

I never get puncture flats riding in Maryland...I've either been very lucky or Mother Nature took it
easy on us. I do run the UST version, so I imagine they're a little tougher (they're cetainly
heavier). I'm still running Mosquitoes now to deal with all the winter slop. Once things start to ry
out and harden, you can bet they're coming off. I haven't been dissatisfied with them, but they
really are a mud/slop tire, and I won't be needing that very much in the summer time. The few times
I did go riding in real bad mud (overestimated how dry the trails would be) I did get lots of
washing out - but the mud was deep, soft, and wet, so short of a studded tire I was going to lose
it. I could still tell the Mosquitoes were doing better than most tires.

Chris (Seracs in the summertime)

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
> Airlights.

Never used them myself but a buddy ran them for a while and seemed impressed with them. Although, he
switched to the Scorpions and liked those even better. He rides them on mostly hardpack, but
occasionally muddy/clay-like trails. Some roots, some rocks, some of this, some of that... etc.

I ran the Scorpions for a bit as well and liked them a lot. They seemed to wear quickly though.
However, they didn't wear nearly as fast as the Mosquitoes which were toasted after riding
technical/rocky trails with them.

Now I'm running Kenda Kharisma's front and back. So far they seem to be one of the best all-around
tires I've used. They cut through mud and shed it decently, they climb decently, corner decently.
They grab hardpack and rocks/roots well. Decently fast rollers as well.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

> I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
> Airlights.

They came stock on my XTC2, but the tire exploded when I wasn't in the room, ripping the rubber
right off the bead after I inflated it to prolly 60psi. It states 80psi max on the sidewall, but
when I called Giant, they said that 40-45 should be the max. Dealer took care of me though.

Walmart tires never came close to exploding... The airlights are light though. Good for 200
grams maybe.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training