Opinions on Hutchison Python Airlights

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Matt, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
    Airlights.

    Lately I've been riding Michelin Hot-S. Nice traction but a little high on the rolling resistance. I
    wanted to try a faster rolling tire that has respectable traction in most conditions, but especially
    on hardpack trails.

    I live up in Southern Ontario, Canada, and the trails around here are muddy come springtime, dry
    up good in the summer, and aren't too rocky, but a little rooty. A guy at my local bike shop says
    the Python Airlights were surprisingly good in muddier conditions, considering how the tread
    looks. I just thought I would see if I could get some second opinions. I'd also be interested in
    how they wear.

    Any input is much-appreciated.

    -matt

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
    > Airlights.
    >
    > Lately I've been riding Michelin Hot-S. Nice traction but a little high
    on
    > the rolling resistance. I wanted to try a faster rolling tire that has respectable traction in
    > most conditions, but especially on hardpack
    trails.

    > I live up in Southern Ontario, Canada, and the trails around here are
    muddy
    > come springtime, dry up good in the summer, and aren't too rocky, but a little rooty. A guy at my
    > local bike shop says the Python Airlights were surprisingly good in muddier conditions,
    > considering how the tread looks.
    > just thought I would see if I could get some second opinions. I'd also be interested in how
    > they wear.
    >
    > Any input is much-appreciated.

    I use them for a dry weather tyre. I ride very much XC style, nothing too extreme, shingle roads,
    some tarmac to get to trails, fireroads etc. They are good on dry gravel roads or hardpack with a
    little shingle. Sand and gravel and mud - they're useless. I'd definitely have to disagree with LBS
    guy on that one. They don't easily clear themselves of any mud either. Damp conditions like damp
    grass, long grass and wet clay - useless. Have had issues with easily damaged and torn sidewalls but
    i may have had a bad run on that. I like 'em. Definitely happy to recommend them for dry conditions.

    Westie

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
    > Airlights.

    Any Hutchy tire of the Airlight variety has weak sidewalls - prone to puncture and tear - and I have
    found the consistency of Hutchinson tires to be very poor...it's rare to see a perfectly round one,
    at least in my experience.

    The Python specifically is a fast, dry-condition XC tire, the Airlight version intended to race.
    It'll wear fast and work well only in the best of conditions.

    For a great all around tire with little rolling resistance, (I've said it before and I'll say it
    again) try the IRC Serac. It rules all.

    Chris (still running Hutch Mosquitos, despite my scathing post)

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > For a great all around tire with little rolling resistance, (I've said it before and I'll say it
    > again) try the IRC Serac. It rules all.
    >
    > Chris (still running Hutch Mosquitos, despite my scathing post)

    Chris

    I have used the Mosquittos and find that the space between the nubs is so far that I am getting
    punctures from small stick and the like. You obviously haven't had that problem. Do you like them in
    mud or do you find that they wash in turns? Just trying to figure out why I don't like my
    mosquittos.

    Bob

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Any input is much-appreciated.

    I ran Pythons for about 2 years. As stated earlier, it works very well as a fast-rolling dry
    conditions tire. It corners well, as I had the gold compound tires for better cornering. It seemed
    to wear pretty evenly and last about as long as any other tire I've tried. My only complaint about
    the tire is that they are prone to flats. The carcass is very thin (that's probably why these tires
    are so lightweight) and so I flatted quite often. An even more common occurrance was getting slow
    leaks from running over tiny cactus needles. I usually had 2-3 slow leaks at any one time from
    cactus needles... ugh... what a pain. Using a thicker tire has solved the problem for me. (Tried
    Tioga Factory DH and even Panaracer FireXC's work nice).

    -John Morgan

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Any input is much-appreciated.
    >
    > I ran Pythons for about 2 years. As stated earlier, it works very well as
    > fast-rolling dry conditions tire. It corners well, as I had the gold compound tires for better
    > cornering. It seemed to wear pretty evenly and last about as long as any other tire I've tried. My
    > only complaint about the tire is that they are prone to flats. The carcass is very thin
    (that's
    > probably why these tires are so lightweight) and so I flatted quite often. An even more common
    > occurrance was getting slow leaks from running over
    tiny
    > cactus needles. I usually had 2-3 slow leaks at any one time from cactus needles... ugh... what a
    > pain. Using a thicker tire has solved the
    problem
    > for me. (Tried Tioga Factory DH and even Panaracer FireXC's work nice).
    >
    > -John Morgan

    I've had the same problem with spines and thistles too but I do like the tyre. Did the gold compound
    really make much difference? I've been a little sceptical but haven't tried them either. (I found
    one of the Continental offerrings (name escapes me unfortunately) was alright too. If it comes to me
    in the night, I'll post.)

    Westie

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
    > Airlights.
    >
    > Lately I've been riding Michelin Hot-S. Nice traction but a little high on the rolling resistance.
    > I wanted to try a faster rolling tire that has respectable traction in most conditions, but
    > especially on hardpack trails.
    >
    > I live up in Southern Ontario, Canada, and the trails around here are muddy come springtime, dry
    > up good in the summer, and aren't too rocky, but a little rooty. A guy at my local bike shop says
    > the Python Airlights were surprisingly good in muddier conditions, considering how the tread
    > looks. I just thought I would see if I could get some second opinions. I'd also be interested in
    > how they wear.
    >
    > Any input is much-appreciated.
    >
    > -matt

    I like them but I prefer Michelin XLS or Comp S if you want lower rolling resistance. Plus they are
    green so that makes them better right there :) I'm trying the Hot S this year on my ride, they look
    about the same as the XLS I was riding except they are red, and red goes faster right?
    --
    _________________________

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > I have used the Mosquittos and find that the space between the nubs is so far that I am getting
    > punctures from small stick and the like. You obviously haven't had that problem. Do you like them
    > in mud or do you find that they wash in turns? Just trying to figure out why I don't like my
    > mosquittos.
    >
    > Bob

    I never get puncture flats riding in Maryland...I've either been very lucky or Mother Nature took it
    easy on us. I do run the UST version, so I imagine they're a little tougher (they're cetainly
    heavier). I'm still running Mosquitoes now to deal with all the winter slop. Once things start to ry
    out and harden, you can bet they're coming off. I haven't been dissatisfied with them, but they
    really are a mud/slop tire, and I won't be needing that very much in the summer time. The few times
    I did go riding in real bad mud (overestimated how dry the trails would be) I did get lots of
    washing out - but the mud was deep, soft, and wet, so short of a studded tire I was going to lose
    it. I could still tell the Mosquitoes were doing better than most tires.

    Chris (Seracs in the summertime)

  9. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
    > Airlights.

    Never used them myself but a buddy ran them for a while and seemed impressed with them. Although, he
    switched to the Scorpions and liked those even better. He rides them on mostly hardpack, but
    occasionally muddy/clay-like trails. Some roots, some rocks, some of this, some of that... etc.

    I ran the Scorpions for a bit as well and liked them a lot. They seemed to wear quickly though.
    However, they didn't wear nearly as fast as the Mosquitoes which were toasted after riding
    technical/rocky trails with them.

    Now I'm running Kenda Kharisma's front and back. So far they seem to be one of the best all-around
    tires I've used. They cut through mud and shed it decently, they climb decently, corner decently.
    They grab hardpack and rocks/roots well. Decently fast rollers as well.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

  11. > I'm looking for some new rubber, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Hutchison Python
    > Airlights.

    They came stock on my XTC2, but the tire exploded when I wasn't in the room, ripping the rubber
    right off the bead after I inflated it to prolly 60psi. It states 80psi max on the sidewall, but
    when I called Giant, they said that 40-45 should be the max. Dealer took care of me though.

    Walmart tires never came close to exploding... The airlights are light though. Good for 200
    grams maybe.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training