Opinions on Klein?

Goose5

Mar 4, 2009
I have been riding a Cannondale 3.0 for 20 years now. I may have a shot at a Klein Aura XV frameset. What differences can I expect from this frame? Is it worth considering over what I already have? Thanks in advance.

Goose5 said:
I have been riding a Cannondale 3.0 for 20 years now. I may have a shot at a Klein Aura XV frameset. What differences can I expect from this frame? Is it worth considering over what I already have?
FWIW. The average KLEIN (if there is such a thing) is better than the average CANNONDALE ...

Some older CANNONDALES were considered harsh riding ... most KLEINS are not considered to be harsh riding.

If you will be moving the vintage components which are currently on your CANNONDALE to the KLEIN or any other frame then it is hard to know how much difference you will notice ...

And, whether it is worth considering depends on how much it costs AND what your intent of exchanging your frame for another is.

My old components will remain on my Cannondale. New components are planned for whatever frame I end up with.

Kleins use to be really good bikes, not sure now since their owned by Trek. The frame went through a couple of changes, some of the frames were made entirely in China and some just the aluminum part of the frame was made in China while the carbon fiber fork and stays were made in the USA.

Sorry, can't answer anything more then that; at least with the Cannondale up until last year were made in the USA, now they too are made in Taiwan.

I would think that an older made in the USA Cannondale would be better then a made in China Klein/Trek. I suggest, if you can, ride a built up Aura XV and see if you like it, otherwise you might buy the bike thinking you got a great deal then end up not liking the ride.

+1 on what Froze said. Never spend the kind of money that you are going to shell out for the Klein frame without getting a test ride.

Froze said:
I would think that an older made in the USA Cannondale would be better then a made in China Klein/Trek.

Here's a guy speaking out the rear end. Dollar for dollar, frames made in the Far East these days are on par with anything from Europe and NA, possibly even better. Even the prestigious old world Euro brands are building frames in Asia now. Cheap(er) production cost doesn't always equate to lower quality. Sometimes, but not always. It just means more profit for the company - not necessarily a bad thing. I am a huge Cannondale fan, I actually own two C'Dale. The Six13 is one of my fav frame ever. But I also have an older C'Dale "Handmade in the USA" frameset that have voids in the weld. It probably doesn't speak too well for the stars and stripes flag waving, master USA builder(s) who hand TIG weld the tubes and lugs. On the same note, I also have a classic hand built in Belgium, Eddy Merckx frameset that have uneven brazing and small voids at various points in the lugs as well. This was a premium, pro-quality frameset in its day.

Bottom line, ride the bike and make a call. Not form an opinion on "quality" based on where the machine was built.

I'd say the average Klein has a fancier paint job than the average C'dale, but in general believe both are high-quality and durable frames. If you're looking at a used bike, the useage (and damage) history of the frame/fork is more important than trying to assess any inherent differences in material or manufacturing quality.

As others have said, the way the bike fits and feels to you is what's most important. Wouldn't worry too much about the mystical "ride quality". The seat, bars, fork, wheels, tires and tire pressures all make a difference in the perceived frame ride quality....not to mention the temperature and other more subjective factors.

Good luck with your choice. After 20 years with your C'dale, you may even decide it's time to see the dealer and trade-in for a new one. C'dale now provides a choice of three different fits: "comfort", "performance" and "pro" at several price points, so I'm sure the salesman will have just the one for you :)