Opinions on MASI bicycles

nd2807

Jun 15, 2007
Another new rider here. I have been using a mates bike whilst he was OS but he is back now and Im looking at purchasing my own. Im just researching a couple of brands in my local bike store (brisbane) and one of those is MASI. I know they have been around for a while but that is about it. Can anyone out there who has one or has ridden one give me some impressions of the brand and value for money. Thanks Nick.

Do you mean Massi the Spanish brand? If so go ahead and get one. I have had one for about two years. It was reasonable in price which was what drew me to the bike. I have raced on it many times feels very stiff, agile and fairly light. For what you get it is a good buy. Just make sure you choose one with as high a grade group set as possible, preferbly Ultegra, Dura race. I do not know if they use campag, may do now. But there is nothing in the different makes of groupsets anyhow. Go on man treat yourself!!
nd2807 said:
Another new rider here. I have been using a mates bike whilst he was OS but he is back now and Im looking at purchasing my own. Im just researching a couple of brands in my local bike store (brisbane) and one of those is MASI. I know they have been around for a while but that is about it. Can anyone out there who has one or has ridden one give me some impressions of the brand and value for money. Thanks Nick.

nath1 said:
Do you mean Massi the Spanish brand? If so go ahead and get one. I have had one for about two years. It was reasonable in price which was what drew me to the bike. I have raced on it many times feels very stiff, agile and fairly light. For what you get it is a good buy. Just make sure you choose one with as high a grade group set as possible, preferbly Ultegra, Dura race. I do not know if they use campag, may do now. But there is nothing in the different makes of groupsets anyhow. Go on man treat yourself!!
No, he's probably talking about the venerable Italian company Masi: www.masibikes.com

To OP: The Masi name is very well respected and the bikes excellent. As for value for the money, that would depend on the alternatives available in your area, and how the Masi in question fits you and your purposes (recreation, racing, distance, etc.). But Masi is definitely a good name in bikes.

Camilo said:
No, he's probably talking about the venerable Italian company Masi: www.masibikes.com

To OP: The Masi name is very well respected and the bikes excellent. As for value for the money, that would depend on the alternatives available in your area, and how the Masi in question fits you and your purposes (recreation, racing, distance, etc.). But Masi is definitely a good name in bikes.
Thanks for the advice. I am looking for fitness, endurance and maybe some a little more competitive later down the track when I have some experience and some ks under my belt. The bikes look great and seem to have good components (from what Im told), but when you are a complete novice, its difficult to tell whether a volumetrica 105 is going to be a good starting point.

nath1 said:
Yep it was Masi I was talking about but from what you have said about MasSi, they sould great also. How much did you pay for yours?

There is some confusion about Masi. There is the venerable Italian brand that still exists. However, the Masi patriarch moved to the US in the 1970s and opened a mass production shop. He eventually sold the family name to a large company. However, Masi's son stayed in Italy and kept making bikes the old fashioned way--one at a time. The Italian bikes are labelled as "3V" in the US and I think some other parts of the world. So, you could be talking about the very high end Italian craftsman made bikes or the budget massed produced US brand bikes. If it is an entry level bike, I suspect it is the US brand and the bikes are probably made in Asia. However, it probably isn't a bad choice for a first bike.

By the way, Dave Stoller rode a Masi in "Breaking Away." That is why they have a recognized name in the US.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Camilo said:

Originally Posted by noahrwhiteis .

I have a masi italain bike it rides very well my last bike was a specalized/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
This thread has been quiet for over three years. Please let it die peacefully.