Opinions on Mavic XM317 (X221) rims

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single eyelets.
Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I don't
often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with
potholes and riding up/down kerbs.

The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're not
really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
> wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single eyelets.
> Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I don't
> often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with
> potholes and riding up/down kerbs.
>
> The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
> there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're
> not really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

Why not get X618? They have sockets/double eyelets to take plenty of
spoke tension, and a superior alloy and shape.

Riding up kerbs, though, is pushing your luck with any rims, I think.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>>I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
>>wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single eyelets.
>>Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I don't
>>often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with
>>potholes and riding up/down kerbs.
>>
>>The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
>>there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're
>>not really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

> Why not get X618? They have sockets/double eyelets to take plenty of
> spoke tension, and a superior alloy and shape.
>
> Riding up kerbs, though, is pushing your luck with any rims, I think.
>
> ~PB

i second the x618's. undoubtedly one of the better rims mavic have ever
made. do not over-tension tho - it doesn't improve the strength of the
wheel and causes cracking/greater propensity to taco. if op does go
with this rim, call 1-800-go-mavic to get the manufacturer tension spec,
then report back to group, please.

I will "third" the X618s. Nice rim. Use butted spokes and build well.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
> wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single

eyelets.
> Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I

don't
> often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with

> potholes and riding up/down kerbs.
>
> The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
> there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're

not
> really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

I'd look at Sun CR-18 rims for this kind of application.

"Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> Why not get X618? They have sockets/double eyelets to
> take plenty of spoke tension, and a superior alloy and shape.

They're nice rims, but they're no longer in production. SJS still have some
in the UK.

> Riding up kerbs, though, is pushing your luck with any rims,
> I think.

I presume Zog means hopping up kerbs, not riding full-tilt into kerbs.

James Thomson

James Thomson wrote:

> I presume Zog means hopping up kerbs, not riding full-tilt into kerbs.

Er...yes ;-)