Opinions on Mavic XM317 (X221) rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zog The Undeniable, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
    wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single eyelets.
    Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I don't
    often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with
    potholes and riding up/down kerbs.

    The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
    there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're not
    really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
    > wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single eyelets.
    > Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I don't
    > often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with
    > potholes and riding up/down kerbs.
    >
    > The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
    > there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're
    > not really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

    Why not get X618? They have sockets/double eyelets to take plenty of
    spoke tension, and a superior alloy and shape.

    Riding up kerbs, though, is pushing your luck with any rims, I think.

    ~PB

  3. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >
    >>I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
    >>wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single eyelets.
    >>Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I don't
    >>often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with
    >>potholes and riding up/down kerbs.
    >>
    >>The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
    >>there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're
    >>not really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

    > Why not get X618? They have sockets/double eyelets to take plenty of
    > spoke tension, and a superior alloy and shape.
    >
    > Riding up kerbs, though, is pushing your luck with any rims, I think.
    >
    > ~PB

    i second the x618's. undoubtedly one of the better rims mavic have ever
    made. do not over-tension tho - it doesn't improve the strength of the
    wheel and causes cracking/greater propensity to taco. if op does go
    with this rim, call 1-800-go-mavic to get the manufacturer tension spec,
    then report back to group, please.

  4. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    I will "third" the X618s. Nice rim. Use butted spokes and build well.

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > I need rims for lightly loaded touring on my Thorn, which has 26"
    > wheels. They're cheap, silver anodised, but only have single

    eyelets.
    > Are they OK if properly built into a 36 spoke wheel? Although I

    don't
    > often carry big loads, I do expect the wheels to be able to cope with

    > potholes and riding up/down kerbs.
    >
    > The current wheels use Rhyno Lites and are near-indestructible, but
    > there's a terrible weight penalty and at well over 1" wide, they're

    not
    > really suited to 1.3" S-Licks.

    I'd look at Sun CR-18 rims for this kind of application.

  6. "Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    > Why not get X618? They have sockets/double eyelets to
    > take plenty of spoke tension, and a superior alloy and shape.

    They're nice rims, but they're no longer in production. SJS still have some
    in the UK.

    > Riding up kerbs, though, is pushing your luck with any rims,
    > I think.

    I presume Zog means hopping up kerbs, not riding full-tilt into kerbs.

    James Thomson

  7. James Thomson wrote:

    > I presume Zog means hopping up kerbs, not riding full-tilt into kerbs.

    Er...yes ;-)