Opinions on Merckx Team SC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hjalmar DuklæT, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. I'm thinking of getting a new bike. As I have had a Mercks SLX frame before which is the best frame
    I've ever had I'm thinking of getting a Merckx Team SC this time. Is there anybody who is familiar
    with this frame and can tell me what they think of it. Hjalmar

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    I don't have a Team SC, nor have I ever even seen one in person. I researched one extensively last
    year and actually made several calls in an effort to finally obtain one.

    I've never heard anything but wonderful things about the ride. I did hear that the quality of the
    paint was poor and that it showed wear very quickly.

    I heard some issues about the integrated headset. May be common to all integrated headsets.

    Ultimately, I gave up trying to get one here in The States because, well, I just couldn't get one
    here in The States. I figured, if it was that hard to get something out of Merckx when I'm willing
    to pay $3,000 (or whatever it was), how hard was it going to be if I had a warranty or repair issue.
    No shops I found could get 'em and even mail order was out-of-stock on all but really odd sizes.

    Finally, a Cat. 1 friend of mine told me he knows several folks who have them and they're all
    unhappy with them for a variety of reasons.

    FWIW ... probably not much.

    Bob C. "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking of getting a new bike. As I have had a Mercks SLX frame
    before
    > which is the best frame I've ever had I'm thinking of getting a Merckx
    Team
    > SC this time. Is there anybody who is familiar with this frame and can
    tell
    > me what they think of it. Hjalmar

  3. Hi Bob, Thanks for your comments. The paint problems was also on my SLX frame. A pity they have not
    been able to solve this problem. The ride however was very good indeed. That is why I would like to
    have another Merckx frame. But at $3.000 I don't want to have too much trouble with it. At least I
    will have to get my LBS to get it for me in case of warranty issues. Merckx also has a monoque
    carbon frame this year but it has sloping top tube and I don't know if I like that. Besides it costs
    about $1.000 more than the Team SC. Hjalmar "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't have a Team SC, nor have I ever even seen one in person. I researched one extensively last
    > year and actually made several calls in an effort to finally obtain one.
    >
    > I've never heard anything but wonderful things about the ride. I did hear that the quality of the
    > paint was poor and that it showed wear very
    quickly.

    > I heard some issues about the integrated headset. May be common to all integrated headsets.
    >
    > Ultimately, I gave up trying to get one here in The States because, well,
    > just couldn't get one here in The States. I figured, if it was that hard
    > get something out of Merckx when I'm willing to pay $3,000 (or whatever it was), how hard was it
    > going to be if I had a warranty or repair issue. No shops I found could get 'em and even mail
    > order was out-of-stock on all
    but