opinions on old Shimano STI

Fly1296

Dec 20, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade an older bike to STI. My budget, and common sense, dictate used, early equipment, which is plentiful on eBay. I've been going between Shimano RX-100 and RSX but am leaning towards the RX-100 because I'd really prefer 8x2 to 7x3. It also appears that the RX-100 was simply a better group than the RSX. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience riding either or both groups.

8-speed cog spacing is close enough to 7-speed spacing that, IMO, you can use 8-speed shifters with 7-speed Freewheels/Cassettes ... particularly, if the cogs are ramped as you will find on a 7-speed SunRace Freewheel ...

[*] FYI. 10-speed Campagnolo shifters (which will probably cost less than either a set of RSX or RX-100 shifters if you are a wise shopper) + 8-or-9-speed Shimano rear deraileur replcates 8-speed indexing; so, it could (also) be used with a 7-speed Freewheel or Cassette ...

Whichever shifters you buy, they can migrate to another bike ...

BTW. Campagnolo shifters work with almost ANY front derailleur ...

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can also index to 9-and-10-speed Shimano drivetrains with little or no effort ... so, they can probably be considered to be a better option.