Opinions on Schwalbe Marathon Plus requested

MSeries

Guest
Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these
relatively heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the 28s ?

MSeries wrote:
> Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these
> relatively heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the 28s ?

PS How do they compare to the Marathon HS308 ?

> PS How do they compare to the Marathon HS308 ?

Marathon plus is the only marathon I have used.I have one(35mm) on the
back of my tourer, which is heavy with carrier, dynamo and mudguards
on.I would say the tyre feels very comforable and seems to have low
rolling resistance when pumped up to 90psi.I have been surprised by how
good it is.It does not feel like an armoured tyre at all.No punctures
yet.The extra weight is not noticable on the back of a tourer, but
might alter the feel on the front a little.I shall probably get another
for the front if I need one.
I am trying to tell myself that the Vred spider on the front is still a
good tyre, but I am starting not to like the knobbles on cornering and
suspect it of having higher rolling resistance; probably it doesn't,
though.I did some long days on pair of spiders.
I think there is noticeably less work riding light wheels with 23mm
hard racing tyres on, but for rough trails and touring or dark winter
I take a more comfortable, load carrying, fully equipped and harder
work bike.
TerryJ

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these relatively
> heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the 28s ?

This is on my winter bike on the rear wheel - 700c. Total confidence re
puncture protection and I'm not too bothered about the rolling resistance as
the bike they are on is heavy anyway and all I want is a tyre that won't
flat on my commute in winter.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these relatively
> heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the 28s ?

I have 28s on my workbike. I can't say I notice any more rolling resistance
over the previous tyres. They are not entirely bulletproof - I have had one
puncture in the 5000 or so kms I have done on them.

I submit that on or about Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:00:18 +0100, the person
known to the court as MSeries <[email protected]> made a
statement (<[email protected]> in
Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these
>relatively heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the 28s ?

Not really noticeable. Pump them up good and hard, though. We now
have these tyres on most of our bikes.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

MSeries wrote:

> Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these
> relatively heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the 28s ?

28's ones are difficult to fit on narrow rims, but they do the job. They
certainly stopped my sister complaining about punctures ;)
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

MSeries <[email protected]> writes:

> Whats you opinion of the additional rolling resistence of these
> relatively heavy yet allegedly bullet proof tyres ? Anyone used the
> 28s ?

I haven't had a single puncture on my rear 700 since I fitted a
non-plus Marathon at the beginning of the year [grabs for a piece of
wood]. I would normally have had one or two by now.

Jon

32mm No punctures in 7000km approx. Back tyre is bald in the middle but
good for another 2000? Front tyre looks OK for another 7000. Had no
puncures also with previous Continental top touring and in fact don't
seem to have had a puncture for years touch wood. Compare/contrast
Hutchinson Kevlar (with blue line) which punctured regularly worse than
any other make I've ever had.

cheers

Jacob