Opinions on Spinergy Xaero Lites

phuufme

Jul 17, 2003
I have an opportunity to buy a used set of Xaero Lites, 2002 year. They are currently on a Waterford loaned to me by my LBS while I await my new Calfee Luna Pro. The Luna will have Ultegra components. I had originally ordered a new set of Mavic Open Pros, but this opportunity came along. The wheels belong to the LBS owner.

Anyway, I am looking for opinions on the Xaero Lites, the good, the bad and the ugly, before I finalize my decision. Thanks.

I have a set on my R1000. Very nice wheelset. Heard all the negative press about Spinergy customer service, but made the purchase anyway. I am currently using them as a 2nd wheelset. So far, no worries!

Scuba Steve

Originally posted by Scuba Steve
I have a set on my R1000. Very nice wheelset. Heard all the negative press about Spinergy customer service, but made the purchase anyway. I am currently using them as a 2nd wheelset. So far, no worries!

Scuba Steve
Thanks for the info, Scuba Steve. I guess these wheels are not too popular, due to the lack of responses so far. Any other comments? Thanks

If you can get a smokin deal on them, go for it. I'm currently riding them along with the Mavic Ksyrium Elites. IMO, the Spinergy are every bit as strong as the Mavics and seem to be a bit more compliant. You can't really beat the Mavic durability, but I'm impressed the Xaero Lites .....so far??????

Scuba Steve

Spinergy you should not have a problem. Especially with the normal SS spoked wheels.

Basicly all they are is a Velocity rim with a house brand hub made by a good reputable manufacturer and ss spokes.

Originally posted by xavier
Spinergy you should not have a problem. Especially with the normal SS spoked wheels.

Basicly all they are is a Velocity rim with a house brand hub made by a good reputable manufacturer and ss spokes.

xavier thanks for the info. The Xaero Lites have the PBO spokes, which are made of some proprietary carbon fiber process, I think. They are supposed to be pretty strong but they are not SS. The rims are aluminum, as far as I understand.

What I have read in my recent web research is that some Spinergy wheels have had problems with their hubs.

I ouwld personally stay away from the PBO spokes. I have a friend that owned these and I know he has broken many of them and when they snap they slap around sractching the frame. He was very unhappy with them. Also getting replacement can take some time and if they no longe rmake the color you need you are stuck.

Best to look at the SS spoked wheels.

However that is just my oversavation froma friend that actually rode these wheels in my presence many times.

Originally posted by xavier
I ouwld personally stay away from the PBO spokes. I have a friend that owned these and I know he has broken many of them and when they snap they slap around sractching the frame. He was very unhappy with them. Also getting replacement can take some time and if they no longe rmake the color you need you are stuck.

Best to look at the SS spoked wheels.

However that is just my oversavation froma friend that actually rode these wheels in my presence many times.

Xavier, thanks for the info.

:) Hi guys, I have the spinergy xaero not the lite model and the ride is very comfortable. I suggest these specially whit stiff alu frames. the are not the best for climbing and sprinting because they are flexy a bit... but otherwise its a good feel on the road.

My dealer said that he won't sell these to a rider over 180lbs.

Enjoy the ride!