opinions on the L.A. Triathlon?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Susan In La, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Susan In La

    Susan In La Guest

    [apologies if this has already been covered on RST--I googled but didn't find anything recent]

    Any opinions on the Los Angeles Triathlon? I can't decide whether to register. I hate to skip a race
    named for my town but it seems expensive, it sounds complicated, and I've heard rumors that it
    wasn't run so well in the past.

    Thanks in advance for any advice,

    Susan in LA

    Tags:

  2. Pernst6000

    Pernst6000 Guest

    I did the LA triathlon the first two years they put it on, in 2000 and 2001.

    Because the two transition areas are over 20 miles apart, the race organizers take it upon
    themselves to transfer your T1 gear from Venice Beach to downtown
    (T2). The first year, I didn't get my gear until 2 1/2 hours after I finished my race. I thought in
    2001 they would have their act together, but that year, I didn't get my T1 gear until 2:30 pm,
    over 4 1/2 hours after I finished. Also, they had bike catchers in T2 laying bikes down in the
    middle of the street because they were overwhelmed by the numbers of people coming into
    transition. I stayed away last year, but heard that they mismarked the age-group swim course,
    and it was 400 yards short!

    For an Olympic-distance event, where there's a good chance the swim course length will be wrong, the
    bike course covers rough, pothole riddled roads in desperate need of repair, and you get to hang out
    in downtown LA in your race gear for several hours after you're done, I think $ 125.00 is a little
    expensive. I'll save my money and do Malibu the following week.

    Jeff

  3. Bob Mercier

    Bob Mercier Guest

    [email protected] (PErnst6000) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I did the LA triathlon the first two years they put it on, in 2000 and 2001.
    >
    > Because the two transition areas are over 20 miles apart, the race organizers take it upon
    > themselves to transfer your T1 gear from Venice Beach to downtown
    > (T2). The first year, I didn't get my gear until 2 1/2 hours after I finished my race. I thought
    > in 2001 they would have their act together, but that year, I didn't get my T1 gear until 2:30
    > pm, over 4 1/2 hours after I finished. Also, they had bike catchers in T2 laying bikes down in
    > the middle of the street because they were overwhelmed by the numbers of people coming into
    > transition. I stayed away last year, but heard that they mismarked the age-group swim course,
    > and it was 400 yards short!
    >
    > For an Olympic-distance event, where there's a good chance the swim course length will be wrong,
    > the bike course covers rough, pothole riddled roads in desperate need of repair, and you get to
    > hang out in downtown LA in your race gear for several hours after you're done, I think $ 125.00 is
    > a little expensive. I'll save my money and do Malibu the following week.
    >
    > Jeff

    I didn't race in 2000 or 2001 but they seemed to have their act a bit more together last year.
    While it's true the swim was short everything else seemed perfect. My T1 gear was at the finish
    before I was and some of the streets in Hollywood had been paved since the the previous triathlon.
    Some, but not all.

    For me, a 15 year LA resident, the coolest thing in the world is sailing down the avenues from
    Venice to downtown on your bike, in the middle of the road, ignoring all the street lights, with the
    police blocking all the intersections. For a bit more than an hour it's better service than the
    presidential motorcade receives!

    It's 2 days until the race so we'll have to see how things work out this year. Hopefully the swim
    will be correct and the T1 gear will be ontime again. It's a great race, especially if you normally
    fight the LA traffic all year...

  4. Susan In La

    Susan In La Guest

    thanks to everyone who responded...i decided to skip this year's and do malibu and hermosa instead.
    if i hear good things after tomorrow i may sign up next year....

    news:[email protected]...