Opinions on the LOOK ergostem?

msconana

Apr 24, 2004
I just had my bike fit done and I need a different stem. 8.0 or shorter with a 40-45 degree rise angle. While I don't really want to pay $200+ for this thing, if it's my only option, I guess I'll have to! Does anyone know if there is something similar but less expensive on the market? Any negatives to the LOOK ergostem? Heard it was heavy but I don't know how much. I'm a new road biker so grams just don't make a difference to me at this point. I would just like to reach my bars comfortably! :) I have a Specialized Dolce Elite 54". Thanks!
Julia

What can that $200 LOOK ergo stem do for you that this $30 Zoom ergo stem cannot? :eek:

Is the sales person on commission?

Originally posted by Doctor Morbius
What can that $200 LOOK ergo stem do for you that this $30 Zoom ergo stem cannot? :eek:

Huh. Never heard of it...or the LOOK until today! Where can I find it? I just did a search on Google but nothing came up, weird. Do you have one and what do you think of it?
Thanks for your help!
J

Originally posted by msconana
Huh. Never heard of it...or the LOOK until today! Where can I find it? I just did a search on Google but nothing came up, weird. Do you have one and what do you think of it?
Thanks for your help!
J
I don't have a Zoom stem. The adjustable stem I have came stock on my Specialized Sequoia. Personally, I like them. I have a bad lower back and it allows me to start out in the spring riding in a more cumfy upright position. As time goes on I can lower it as I get fitter and my back permits it.

http://store.airbomb.com/ba/asp/cc.118/ab/items.htm

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?...ry=1186&storetype=&estoreid=&init=y&pagename=

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=zoom+adjustable+stem&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

Although these are in the MTB section, they should still fit 1 1/8" steerer tubes. Check your handlebar diameter though to be sure. There's no way I would spend $200 for a stem. You could possibly find a rigid one that fits for much less than that. 40 degrees is quite a bit of rise. As a rule, the more rise in the stem, the lower end the component. Obviously, LOOK hasn't heard of that rule! :D Check the stems on some comfort bikes and you'll see them.

Check the Trek Road Comfort bikes in the link below. They all have the adjustable stems.

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/

Hope this helps.

I just had my bike fit done and I need a different stem. 8.0 or shorter with a 40-45 degree rise angle. While I don't really want to pay $200+ for this thing, if it's my only option, I guess I'll have to! Does anyone know if there is something similar but less expensive on the market? Any negatives to the LOOK ergostem? Heard it was heavy but I don't know how much. I'm a new road biker so grams just don't make a difference to me at this point. I would just like to reach my bars comfortably! :) I have a Specialized Dolce Elite 54". Thanks!
Julia

A Giant EXT stem also has adjustable rise and should cost just about the same as the ZOOM. But the EXT is a quill type while the zoom is an ahead-type. I dont know if the LOOK ergostem also came in 'ahead' form. Are you after an ahead or a quill type?

The LOOK ergo stem can also be adjusted for length. But even with that feature I also think it still cost too much.

Airbomb.com has a wide selection of road stems. Their house brand is Dimension. I got a +30 degree/9.0 cm unit for about $22.

Originally posted by dennis dee
A Giant EXT stem also has adjustable rise and should cost just about the same as the ZOOM. But the EXT is a quill type while the zoom is an ahead-type. I dont know if the LOOK ergostem also came in 'ahead' form. Are you after an ahead or a quill type?

Sadly I have no idea what either of those are! :confused: I've looked at the sheet that Boulder Ctr for Sports Med gave me but I don't see anything about it there either. What's the difference?

>>>40 degrees is quite a bit of rise. As a rule, the more rise in the stem, the lower end the component. Obviously, LOOK hasn't heard of that rule! :D Check the stems on some comfort bikes and you'll see them. >>>

You are right about the 40-45 degrees. My physical therapist/bike fit person seemed a bit surprised that it needed to be that. I asked her if I had midget arms! ;-) She laughed and said yes and long legs too. Apparently women have longer legs and shorter torsos but good lord.

She got the seat height corrected and put shims under the cleats in my shoes to correct my legs/knees. Once I get the stem thing fixed my seat and bars will be level. I'm going over to Excel Sports today in Boulder, they seem to think that they'll be able to fix it without spending the money for the LOOK. The PT will be glad to hear it, she was hoping there would be something else out there, the LOOK was her last resort.

Thanks for all your help, I've printed off this whole thread and will bring it with me to the bike shop!
J

Sadly I have no idea what either of those are! :confused: I've looked at the sheet that Boulder Ctr for Sports Med gave me but I don't see anything about it there either. What's the difference?
Based on your bike, The Dolce Elite, you will want the ahead version and not the quill version.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5934&JServSessionIdroot=et7u5upv1v.j27004

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. Also, believe it or not, the women's specific design bikes are actually a better fit for me. I like a larger frame but a short top tube and just replacing the stem with a shorter one can throw off the handling a little bit. I ended up getting a Sequoia.

Based on your bike, The Dolce Elite, you will want the ahead version and not the quill version.

>Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. Also, believe it or not, the women's specific design bikes are actually a better fit for me. I like a larger frame but a short top tube and just replacing the stem with a shorter one can throw off the handling a little bit.>

Ok, so I went to the shop and the guy put a 8.0 stem on the bike, 5 min riding around the block with my arms extended (no elbow bend) had me in pain again so.....his only suggestion was the LOOK. I mentioned the Zoom and he said it wasn't a quality stem (don't shoot the messenger, I'm only repeating what he said).

He put the LOOK on and it worked great. And you are right it is the ahead version. $220 ugh. But hey at least I can ride now! I got this bike nearly a month ago and have only had 1 trip on it and then the pain set in. Can't wait to get out on it again! Even just my short jaunts around the block had me smiling! :D

Thanks for all your help guys!
J

He put the LOOK on and it worked great. And you are right it is the ahead version. $220 ugh. But hey at least I can ride now! I got this bike nearly a month ago and have only had 1 trip on it and then the pain set in. Can't wait to get out on it again! Even just my short jaunts around the block had me smiling! :D

Thanks for all your help guys!
J
Maybe the bike is the wrong size,and if new,maybe the shop that sold it to you ought to make it right.

Julia, I hope you are still following this thread since the $220 deed is done.

It sounds like your frame is poorly fitted to you. You clearly need a frame with a taller front end. You can get part of the way by shimming under the stem. Maybe 4cm. And the high-rise stem helps. Better yet may be a frame that has a short and sloping top tube so that you can get a bigger frame (i.e., taller) and still stand over it OK.

Another idea would be to improve your flexibility. Those hammies and glutes may be inflexible and the source of pain. If it's your neck, well, you adapt to that.

The good news is that as you become more flexible, you can slowly lower the angle on that Look $220 brick and eventually do away with it. Sell it on eBay for $120 or something.

Originally posted by Aztec
You clearly need a frame with a taller front end. You can get part of the way by shimming under the stem. Maybe 4cm.

Ya can't put shims under a stem that has already been cut,unless there are shims on top of the stem that can be moved,to under it.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Ya can't put shims under a stem that has already been cut,unless there are shims on top of the stem that can be moved,to under it.

Right-o, of course.