Damm it.

Unhappy.

Dave

On 2006-06-03, dave (aka Bruce)
> Its always been such a nice little forum And now for the first time I
> have to block people. Its only the truly stupid that need blocking.. if
> we could have a spam filter that just worked on messages that were sent
> by people with an IQ under 60 we would be fine.

Or alternatively, if people didn't feed the trolls.

--
TimC
SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random

On 03/06/06 at 23:58:41 TimC somehow managed to type:

<snip>

> Or alternatively, if people didn't feed the trolls.

Just ******** anything cross posted to aus.politics and you'll get rid
of most of the room temp. IQ debris.

--

Humbug
Today is Setting Orange, the 9th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3172

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-03, dave (aka Bruce)
>
>>Its always been such a nice little forum And now for the first time I
>>have to block people. Its only the truly stupid that need blocking.. if
>>we could have a spam filter that just worked on messages that were sent
>>by people with an IQ under 60 we would be fine.

> Or alternatively, if people didn't feed the trolls.

Well yeah granted :) But I was talking about what we had not how we
got here :)

Dave

Humbug wrote:
> On 03/06/06 at 23:58:41 TimC somehow managed to type:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Or alternatively, if people didn't feed the trolls.

> Just ******** anything cross posted to aus.politics and you'll get rid
> of most of the room temp. IQ debris.

Wow. Not only are you right :) But I think you have made a profound
statement about politics. An insight of genius and one that explains
much about what is wrong with the world.

COnsider it done.

Dave

Travis wrote:
> Has anyone heard of the Pro-Lite Como wheelset?
>
> I was in Elite Racing Cycles in Northbridge, Perth, the other day and
> the guy recommended them. Nice looking wheels, bladed spokes, front
> wheel is radially spoked and the back is double cross, relatively
> lightweight (light enough for a non-elite cyclist!) and he says he has
> a number of bicycle couriers as customers who have found them tough
> enough for the job. He was selling them for $300 a set, fitted.

pro-lite is one of the brands that Team Alex/Inexa distributes. They
seem ok, but I haven't ridden on them to comment. A $300 wheelset is
likely to be pretty lowend (that's around what the Shimano R550's are
worth, or less).

they could be ok ... but at that price, they're probably ****.

> they could be ok ... but at that price, they're probably ****.

<snip>

That's not very helpful, really, is it??

****?? What does that mean?? Maybe not much good for an A-grader, but
maybe perfect a training (or even race) wheel for a D or C grader. Its
all relative....

I don't know if price is a very good indicator of quality, anyway.....
I think some equally good wheels vary incredibly in price - probably
depending on the brand name, and how much they pay as sponsors of
various teams, etc.

Anyway, just my 2-cents. I don't know much about wheels... And Bleve -
don't want to sound critical!! As you know, I generally take your
recommendations seriously...

Cheers all,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> > they could be ok ... but at that price, they're probably ****.

> <snip>
>
> That's not very helpful, really, is it??
>
> ****?? What does that mean?? Maybe not much good for an A-grader, but
> maybe perfect a training (or even race) wheel for a D or C grader. Its
> all relative....

Which is pretty much where I'm coming from. I currently use my bike
mostly for commuting and joy riding. I need something tough enough to
last that would not look utterly stupid on my Trek 2300 (so that rules
out $100 wheelsets!). In the event that I get into racing, spending
big money on a second set of wheels for that purpose is not out of the
question.

This wheelset was recommended to me by a bike shop which I'm told
enjoys a reasonably good reputation among Perth cyclists as the wheel
with the highest bang for the buck for my purposes, after I enquired
after a $900 pair of Mavics and then asked the guy if this was the
wheelset I should be looking at or whether there was something better
value. He asked what kind of bike, what kind of riding I do, did I see
myself racing much etc, he didn't ask what I was willing to spend.
Since I wasn't asking just for something cheaper, he could have
answered my question by showing me a different $900 wheelset...

So when something is described as "****", what exactly does that mean?

Not very durable and the brake pads will wear the rim out in no time at
all, and I'll have constant problems keeping it true?

.... or is it something which would weigh a few tens of grams more than
a far more expensive wheel, hurting my acceleration slightly and making
the difference between first and second in a race?

Travis

Travis wrote:
> Absent Husband wrote:
> > >
> > > they could be ok ... but at that price, they're probably ****.

> > <snip>
> >
> > That's not very helpful, really, is it??
> >
> > ****?? What does that mean?? Maybe not much good for an A-grader, but
> > maybe perfect a training (or even race) wheel for a D or C grader. Its
> > all relative....

It sure is. I like reliable wheels. An example of **** is the
Bontrager low-end wheelsets and the low end Shimano (R550, R540)
wheelsets. They're unreliable.

> Which is pretty much where I'm coming from. I currently use my bike
> mostly for commuting and joy riding. I need something tough enough to
> last that would not look utterly stupid on my Trek 2300 (so that rules
> out $100 wheelsets!). In the event that I get into racing, spending
> big money on a second set of wheels for that purpose is not out of the
> question.

Understood.
****, to me, has little to do with weight (within reason!). ****, to
me, is unreliable freehubs, soft or poorly designed freehub bodies
(Bontrager, this means *YOU*), dodgey bearings and weak spokes (Hello
Shimano R5[4|5}0's!), flanges or rims, or bad value (overpriced). IMO,
Mavic Ksyriums are ****, not because of them being weak, but because I
think they represent poor value. There's better wheels than ksyriums,
for less (eg Easton/Velomax, shop built 105/Mavic OPs etc etc). Soon
I'll get a chance to look at some of those Neuvation wheels (one of my
lads has some) and I'll be interested to see how they go for him.

> This wheelset was recommended to me by a bike shop which I'm told
> enjoys a reasonably good reputation among Perth cyclists as the wheel
> with the highest bang for the buck for my purposes, after I enquired
> after a $900 pair of Mavics and then asked the guy if this was the
> wheelset I should be looking at or whether there was something better
> value. He asked what kind of bike, what kind of riding I do, did I see
> myself racing much etc, he didn't ask what I was willing to spend.
> Since I wasn't asking just for something cheaper, he could have
> answered my question by showing me a different $900 wheelset...
>
> So when something is described as "****", what exactly does that mean?

As AH says, it's relative, but reliability is important for just about
any rider, I think.

> Not very durable and the brake pads will wear the rim out in no time at
> all, and I'll have constant problems keeping it true?

I don't know the wheels in question, but *in general* a $300 AUD
wheelset will be made of parts that are low quality, and will
*probably* not be very reliable, may not stand up to wet weather riding
very well (dodgey bearings) and will be made with anonymous spokes,
which may break a lot more than, for example, DT Swiss spokes.

If the shop reckons a bunch of couriers are riding around on them (and
it's actually true!), and they're not coming back in bits every
fortnight with busted spokes or shagged bearings, then maybe they're a
rare example of a cheap wheel ($300 for a *pair* is cheap! My cheap
wheels cost $300 for just a front wheel!) being decent. Deep dish rims
tend to *in general* be stronger than box section rims, but there's a
weight penalty, of course.

I found them with google, btw, :

http://cadencecycle.com/pd_prolite.cfm

They're fairly heavy at 2kg for the pair, but that's not an issue
unless you're racing, IMO, or chasing hand-jobs at cafe ****** (and we
know you're not :) )

Basically, I don't know, which is why I'm talking in general. If you'd
asked about Shimano R550's, I'd know for sure to say "buy *ANYTHING*
else than these wheels!" :)

> ... or is it something which would weigh a few tens of grams more than
> a far more expensive wheel, hurting my acceleration slightly and making
> the difference between first and second in a race?

Wheels don't win races, they can -lose- races by breaking though!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

> *in general* a $300 AUD wheelset will be made of parts that are low
> quality

Gee, you really know how to hurt someone who just paid $A300 for a set
of wheels.

Fortunately I did it in the US, where it bought me Mavic Open Pros laced
to Ultegra hubs by 32 swaged DT spokes. The only part I didn't like was
the alloy nipples, but like you say, what can you expect for $A300?

The sad thing is that I would have gladly paid a bit more for a pair
here, but everyone seems just to want to buy/sell expensive bling. (OK,
so I didn't look everywhere.)

--
Shane Stanley

On 2006-06-04, Shane Stanley (aka Bruce)
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> *in general* a $300 AUD wheelset will be made of parts that are low
>> quality

> Gee, you really know how to hurt someone who just paid $A300 for a set
> of wheels.

Pfft. I'm perfectly happy with my $100 wheels. OK, so it's a little
bit shittier than the OEM one that came with the bike originally,
despite it being the same wheel built by the same machine process.

--
TimC
"Perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"

Bleve said:
....snip

IMO,
Mavic Ksyriums are ****, not because of them being weak, but because I
think they represent poor value. There's better wheels than ksyriums,
for less .......

snip.....

Wheels don't win races, they can -lose- races by breaking though!
yeay!!!!!...I have been waiting for someone else to venture this view...

agree whole heartedly....Ksyriums are one of the most overrated underperforming overpriced wheelsets going....

much better quality and value out there with far less sudden surprises and expensive repair costs.....

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:24:45 +0000, TimC wrote:

> Pfft. I'm perfectly happy with my $100 wheels. OK, so it's a little
> bit shittier than the OEM one that came with the bike originally,
> despite it being the same wheel built by the same machine process.

I thought we convinced you to retension them?

Dave - whose race MTB has hand tensioned wheels - the front because I
killed the old rim, the rear because I wanted tubeless. You mean you
*don't* build your own wheels?

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Brooker's Law: "The wackier the project, the easier it is to fund."

On 2006-06-04, Random Data (aka Bruce)
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:24:45 +0000, TimC wrote:
>
>> Pfft. I'm perfectly happy with my $100 wheels. OK, so it's a little
>> bit shittier than the OEM one that came with the bike originally,
>> despite it being the same wheel built by the same machine process.

> I thought we convinced you to retension them?

I got the shop to do that under warranty. They put in quality spokes,
for only a token cost to me.

But the bearings are not so great -- less sealed than the originals
(for the same everything, they sure do look different -- near year's
model?).

> You mean you *don't* build your own wheels?

Feh. I need more hours in teh day. And less usenet.

--
TimC
"Eddies in the space time continuum"

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 12:53:57 +0000, TimC wrote:

> But the bearings are not so great -- less sealed than the originals
> (for the same everything, they sure do look different -- near year's
> model?).

I've had people tell me that Deore hubs won't last on a mountain bike.
Mine get repacked every 6 months or so and are now something like 4 years
old and haven't missed a beat. Grease and maintenance is better than a
seal.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Did you know God had a plan for you?"

Shane Stanley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > *in general* a $300 AUD wheelset will be made of parts that are low
> > quality

> Gee, you really know how to hurt someone who just paid $A300 for a set
> of wheels.

Heh!.

> Fortunately I did it in the US, where it bought me Mavic Open Pros laced
> to Ultegra hubs by 32 swaged DT spokes. The only part I didn't like was
> the alloy nipples, but like you say, what can you expect for $A300?

You won't get that set of wheels here for less than oh, $600 or more?
I wasn't talking about wheels bought OS or from probikekit etc.
The hubs themselves retail for around $300, plus around $1.20 per spoke
& nipple (for straight guage spokes, nothing fancy, but DT Swiss ex
Dirt Jerks) and an open pro retails for about $120 or so,. *each*.
Then there's the time to build them ...

Bleve wrote:

> You won't get that set of wheels here for less than oh, $600 or more?
> I wasn't talking about wheels bought OS or from probikekit etc.
> The hubs themselves retail for around $300, plus around $1.20 per spoke
> & nipple (for straight guage spokes, nothing fancy, but DT Swiss ex
> Dirt Jerks) and an open pro retails for about $120 or so,. *each*.
> Then there's the time to build them ...

Are Mavic Open Pros still available? I've not been able to find them
at any online stores and the LBSs say they can't get them.

Travis

Travis wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > You won't get that set of wheels here for less than oh, $600 or more?
> > I wasn't talking about wheels bought OS or from probikekit etc.
> > The hubs themselves retail for around $300, plus around $1.20 per spoke
> > & nipple (for straight guage spokes, nothing fancy, but DT Swiss ex
> > Dirt Jerks) and an open pro retails for about $120 or so,. *each*.
> > Then there's the time to build them ...

> Are Mavic Open Pros still available? I've not been able to find them
> at any online stores and the LBSs say they can't get them.

Yes.

They're just rims though, you need hub, spokes, nipples & time :)