Opinions on the Pro-Lite Como wheelset?

Shane Stanley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You'll get a better ride (more comfortable, more reliable, roughly the
> > same weight, and maybe 5s slower over a 10km ITT) on a 32 or 28 spoke
> > conventional wheel than you will on exotica (I sound like Jobst,
> > someone smack me ...).

> Nah -- Jobst would never term only 28 spokes "conventional" ;-)

28 on the drive side, and 28 on the non drive side? :)

warrwych wrote:
> Absent Husband Wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > ****?? What does that mean?? Maybe not much good for an A-grader, but
> > maybe perfect a training (or even race) wheel for a D or C grader. Its
> > all relative....
> >

> > Cheers all,
> > Abby

> Sorry Abby but I do take offence to the suggestion that D/C
> graders are "not up" to owning or using quality gear. And why can't an
> A grader have cheaper training wheels (or are they so good they don't
> train at all??). Sure some Ds & Cs may not be interested in forking out
> for top range stuff, but I also know some A graders who are not
> interested either. Some D & C graders are also interested in getting
> quality gear for the improved ride, and perhaps some performance
> enhancement also. I get cheesed off that there is some kind of inherent
> snobbery in our sport that just becos you are not A grade (or don't
> even race, gods forbid, or are female) that you are not "entitled" to
> spend money on quality gear.
>
> grump grump.... I know you probably didnt mean it the way I have taken
> it, but it's a pet peeve....
>

> --
> warrwych

Hi warrwych!!

Sorry if I offended you - definitely wasn't intended!!

Just for the record - I am indeed a D-grader (if that!!). I guess I was
coming from the angle of "making the most" of better quality equipment.
As an example, as a D-grader who rides maybe 100km or so per week
(which includes commuting, etc) - I don't think I would feel the
difference between 105, Ultegra & Dura-ace (I currently ride Sora,
btw). However, an A-grader doing mega-mileage would probably be able to
tell straight away what they are riding (I think...).

Doesn't mean you CAN'T get Dura-ace or whatever if you aren't A-grade -
hey, if I had the money, I would!! But I guess if I'm just saying that
if you were buying to the point that you'd actually benefit from the
'little differences' a high-end gadget, that would depend on your
ability...

Clear as mud?? *laughs*

Cheers,
Abby

Shane Stanley said:
In article <[email protected]>,
"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

> 28 on the drive side, and 28 on the non drive side?

As long as you keep your weight down ;-)

--
Shane Stanley

Just wait for Sheldon to offer superleggero hollow spokes to match the bearings for the ultimate in ultra-lightweight wheelsets.

Absent Husband wrote:

> Just for the record - I am indeed a D-grader (if that!!). I guess I was
> coming from the angle of "making the most" of better quality equipment.
> As an example, as a D-grader who rides maybe 100km or so per week
> (which includes commuting, etc) - I don't think I would feel the
> difference between 105, Ultegra & Dura-ace (I currently ride Sora,
> btw). However, an A-grader doing mega-mileage would probably be able to
> tell straight away what they are riding (I think...).

Interestingly enough, you'd probably notice straight away. D-A (and
Ultegra) brakes are far better than the lower end ones. the shift is
also a bit cleaner, especially under load.

What you wouldn't significanlty benefit from is the lighter weight, you
probably wouldn't notice it unless you weigh your bike.

FWIW, I have a 105 9sp bike, and an Ultegra 10sp bike. I can't tell
the difference with the weight or the shifting, but I can feel the
brakes.

Bleve said:
FWIW, I have a 105 9sp bike, and an Ultegra 10sp bike. I can't tell
the difference with the weight or the shifting, but I can feel the
brakes.

FWIW try campagsbognolo. the one thing they have had ALL over shimano over the last decades are the brakes...

I tried a 10spd Ultegra on my fixie and reeled in horror and went back to 98 Athena brake i had lieing around which still crapped all over the shitemano offering. admittedyl didint try different pads but the difference was like 'hoping' something would work, versus stopping...
sold the Ultegra brake and bought more bling :D

Bleve wrote:

> Interestingly enough, you'd probably notice straight away. D-A (and
> Ultegra) brakes are far better than the lower end ones. the shift is
> also a bit cleaner, especially under load.

For the purposes of a non-elite athlete, are there any Dura Ace bits
which would be worth getting instead of Ultegra? I mean for instance
assuming I was going to get a mostly Ultegra 10sp groupset but could
custom pick bits and pieces, what Dura Ace items, if any, are worth the
extra bucks?

Travis

Travis wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > Interestingly enough, you'd probably notice straight away. D-A (and
> > Ultegra) brakes are far better than the lower end ones. the shift is
> > also a bit cleaner, especially under load.

> For the purposes of a non-elite athlete, are there any Dura Ace bits
> which would be worth getting instead of Ultegra? I mean for instance
> assuming I was going to get a mostly Ultegra 10sp groupset but could
> custom pick bits and pieces, what Dura Ace items, if any, are worth the
> extra bucks?

IMO, no, except *maybe* the chain. Might last a bit longer.

In fact, the Ultegra stuff is in some cases better than D-A (crankset
is a case in point)

Absent Husband wrote:
> As an example, as a D-grader who rides maybe 100km or so per week
> (which includes commuting, etc) - I don't think I would feel the
> difference between 105, Ultegra & Dura-ace (I currently ride Sora,
> btw).

Yes you would, Abby. See what you can sneak past your lovely wife.

Donga

Absent Husband said:

[...]

you didnt offend me per se Abby, more the sentiment (and I hadnt had any coffee at that stage of the morning!! :eek: ). Having ridden on 105, dura ace and now campag, you do notice the difference straight away (and I am far from an A grade rider) - better shifting, more reliable shifting under load, better braking etc. Anyone can surely benefit from good equipment that does the job cleanly, reliably and consistently. When you are racing (for lights or sprint primes) you actually dont pay any attention to your gear, you just want it to work and work well. If you have the bucks to buy top end stuff great! The rest of us can sit greenly and admire/curse :p

Bleve said:
Travis wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
> > Interestingly enough, you'd probably notice straight away. D-A (and
> > Ultegra) brakes are far better than the lower end ones. the shift is
> > also a bit cleaner, especially under load.

> For the purposes of a non-elite athlete, are there any Dura Ace bits
> which would be worth getting instead of Ultegra? I mean for instance
> assuming I was going to get a mostly Ultegra 10sp groupset but could
> custom pick bits and pieces, what Dura Ace items, if any, are worth the
> extra bucks?

IMO, no, except *maybe* the chain. Might last a bit longer.

In fact, the Ultegra stuff is in some cases better than D-A (crankset
is a case in point)

what about DA shifters??? Meant to be noicer than ultegra (and are *definately* noicer than 105)

warrwych wrote:

> > IMO, no, except *maybe* the chain. Might last a bit longer.
> >
> > In fact, the Ultegra stuff is in some cases better than D-A (crankset
> > is a case in point)

> what about DA shifters??? Meant to be noicer than ultegra (and are
> *definately* noicer than 105)

I'm not convinced that they're better (they *are* lighter though!) -
the Ultegra 10sp shifters feel nicer than 9sp 105, but that's the
change in shape that came with the move to 10sp, and that's consistant
across the range of 10sp shimano stuff. I honestly can hardly tell the
difference with shifting etc, and I test-ride most of the roadies we
build at the LBS.

Bleve wrote:

> Absent Husband wrote:
>
> > Just for the record - I am indeed a D-grader (if that!!). I guess I was
> > coming from the angle of "making the most" of better quality equipment.
> > As an example, as a D-grader who rides maybe 100km or so per week
> > (which includes commuting, etc) - I don't think I would feel the
> > difference between 105, Ultegra & Dura-ace (I currently ride Sora,
> > btw). However, an A-grader doing mega-mileage would probably be able to
> > tell straight away what they are riding (I think...).

> Interestingly enough, you'd probably notice straight away. D-A (and
> Ultegra) brakes are far better than the lower end ones. the shift is
> also a bit cleaner, especially under load.
>
> What you wouldn't significanlty benefit from is the lighter weight, you
> probably wouldn't notice it unless you weigh your bike.
>
> FWIW, I have a 105 9sp bike, and an Ultegra 10sp bike. I can't tell
> the difference with the weight or the shifting, but I can feel the
> brakes.

I can't feel the difference in my 105 or Ultegra, although my 105 is
usually cleaner so sometimes shifts better. FWIW, one of dem big cycling
mags rated ultegra best value for money, in terms of stiffness and
durability etc.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
I can't feel the difference in my 105 or Ultegra, although my 105 is
usually cleaner so sometimes shifts better. FWIW, one of dem big cycling
mags rated ultegra best value for money, in terms of stiffness and
durability etc.

Tam

I went from 105 to DA and felt the difference (improvement) straight away - crisper more reliable shifting for one. Now I have campag (lower end) and it's better than 105 by miles and similar but different to DA. I can change multiple cogs under load and it will do the job without protest, every time.

Travis wrote:

> So where can I get a good deal (including shipping) on the
> components you are talking about? Online, or a Perth LBS.

I've found Phantom Cycles good for Open Pros. Gemma has been a good source of more interesting rims (on ebay) It's too expensive to ship rims internationally. I get my hubs from Parkers or Total Cycling, and my spokes from Branford Bike.

Cheers,

Suzy

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> I can't feel the difference in my 105 or Ultegra, although my 105 is
> usually cleaner so sometimes shifts better. FWIW, one of dem big cycling
> mags rated ultegra best value for money, in terms of stiffness and
> durability etc.

You're refering to the crankset review in Ride? It rated the crankset
the best, but bear in mind that humans would be hard-put to feel the
differences that that test showed.

fractions of a mm bending is not something you'll feel!

warrwych wrote:
> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
>

>>I can't feel the difference in my 105 or Ultegra, although my 105 is
>>usually cleaner so sometimes shifts better. FWIW, one of dem big
>>cycling
>>mags rated ultegra best value for money, in terms of stiffness and
>>durability etc.
>>
>>Tam

> I went from 105 to DA and felt the difference (improvement) straight
> away - crisper more reliable shifting for one.

I went from no name 5 speed friction downtube shifters to 9 speed Dura
Ace STI ... I definitely felt a difference there!

:)

> Now I have campag (lower
> end) and it's better than 105 by miles and similar but different to
> DA. I can change multiple cogs under load and it will do the job
> without protest, every time.

which Campag grouppo do you have? Veloce or Mirage?

petulance said:
I went from no name 5 speed friction downtube shifters to 9 speed Dura
Ace STI ... I definitely felt a difference there!

:)

<snippingsnipping>

which Campag grouppo do you have? Veloce or Mirage?

hehehe - downtubes to sti - yup! there's a slight improvement there :p . I used to jam my fingers in the front wheel downtube shifting on my first roady - ouch :(

I have centaur, which suits a horse nut :p ;)

Warrwych wrote:

> hehehe - downtubes to sti - yup! there's a slight improvement there

Hey, don't be dissing downtube shifters! I went from Record ergos to Record downtube shifters, and it was bliss. Took a few hundred grams off the bike (not that I was counting on that bike), made it much easier to figure out what gear I was in, made it so I could change either deraileur with either hand, and just felt better all-round.

The only drawbacks to downtube shifters is they suck in a sprint, and changing gear on a steep climb (with ergos) is kinda neat.

Too many cyclists these days can't ride without both hands on the bars, I reckon.

Cheers,

Suzy (retro-grouch)

suzyj said:
Warrwych wrote:

> hehehe - downtubes to sti - yup! there's a slight improvement there

Hey, don't be dissing downtube shifters! I went from Record ergos to Record downtube shifters, and it was bliss. Took a few hundred grams off the bike (not that I was counting on that bike), made it much easier to figure out what gear I was in, made it so I could change either deraileur with either hand, and just felt better all-round.

The only drawbacks to downtube shifters is they suck in a sprint, and changing gear on a steep climb (with ergos) is kinda neat.

Too many cyclists these days can't ride without both hands on the bars, I reckon.

Cheers,

Suzy (retro-grouch)

downtube shifters mean you need to be more aware and better prepared for sprints and climbs, that's all. I need to keep my fingers intact, and am a real gumby when tired :D I actually did work out how to change gears without losing fingers...eventually :p

There's a lot to be said for down shifters - nothing worse than an indexed integrated shifter that won't shift onto the next cog properly.