Opinions on Tirreno wanted

McSpin

Mar 17, 2005
I've been keeping my eye open for a new bike I can justify the price on, while getting back into cycling with my 26 years old road bike. I just got the Performance Bicycle catalog and their Tirreno brand caught my eye (at least the prices did). The model I was interested in is the Razza-1000.

I recognized quite a few of the components as being good ones, but they had a few that I wasn't familiar with. For instance, several of the components, including the brake calipers are from Forte, which I've never heard of. Also, it has Shimano WH-R540 wheels. Can anyone tell me what to expect from these?

On the plus side, the aluminum frame has carbon seat, chain stays & a carbon fork. Derailleurs, brake levels, and shifters are Ultegra. It seems like a lot of higher end stuff for $1299.00. Is there something I should be aware of that keeps the price in this range? Thanks for any opinions.

It a basic mid entry level road bike. The Forte is an in house product from Performance and that is how they can cut back on the price of the bikes they offer. I have a buddy of mine who rides one of the Tirreno and he is satisfied with it. just remember that there is always something better out there than what you got. In other words research heavily before you plop down the money.

McSpin said:
I've been keeping my eye open for a new bike I can justify the price on, while getting back into cycling with my 26 years old road bike. I just got the Performance Bicycle catalog and their Tirreno brand caught my eye (at least the prices did). The model I was interested in is the Razza-1000.

I recognized quite a few of the components as being good ones, but they had a few that I wasn't familiar with. For instance, several of the components, including the brake calipers are from Forte, which I've never heard of. Also, it has Shimano WH-R540 wheels. Can anyone tell me what to expect from these?

On the plus side, the aluminum frame has carbon seat, chain stays & a carbon fork. Derailleurs, brake levels, and shifters are Ultegra. It seems like a lot of higher end stuff for $1299.00. Is there something I should be aware of that keeps the price in this range? Thanks for any opinions.
It's a house brand generic frame with alot of other house brand stuff on it. No better or no worse that alot of other similar stuff.

I worked at a Performance location back in the early 90's, and at that time the Perf in-house bike was an R-103. All 105 components. My friend's wife bought one, and was happy with it. A few years later, she traded up for a Performance R-1000, which was the Perf in-house Ti bike, also w/ 105 stuff. She raced on this for a number of years, including 3 years in the Tour De Toona.

She still owns the bike, though she's replaced most of the components on it. She really likes it a lot, and has in fact ridden several other bikes, but still likes her R-1000 the best. I believe the frame was subbed out to Lightspeed, but I'm not sure. It sure looks like one.

Anyway, don't count the Perf bikes out. I'm not much of a fan of Performance in general, but you can get a good bike from them for a decent price.