opinions on topeak panoram

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rich Westerman, May 18, 2003.

  1. anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for my V2?

    tia

    rich

    Tags:

  2. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I use one of these. It is the best computer that I have ever used. I have used a Cateye Astrale, Cateye Mity II, various Performance computers, a Specialized and an old Rhode Gear one.

    The one thing some people like that it does not have is a cadence reading. I do not particularly use it anyway, so that was of no consequence to me.

    I have an acquaintance that rides a RANS Stratus and she uses the long harness.

    Derek

  3. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    No experience with this computer. But, I was considering buying one, until I went with the Planet
    bike protege. It had big numbers with nearly all info displayed at once, but in a smaller package.

    Sj

  4. John

    John Guest

    I've used a longwire one on my trike for 3 seasons now and like it fine. I ended up attaching the
    sensor to one of the front wheels and wrapped the excess lead around the crossmember, covering it
    with some red electrical tape that is a near-perfect match with the trike's paint.

  5. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > No experience with this computer. But, I was considering buying one, until I went with the Planet
    > bike protege. It had big numbers with nearly all info displayed at once, but in a smaller package.
    >
    > Sj

    Are either or both of these waterproof?

    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  6. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    It features an ugly, oversized logo half as big as the display itself. What were they thinking of?

  7. Dave Harney

    Dave Harney Guest

    I've had one for a year or so - would not buy another one. May even throw this one away. There are
    other computers that are cheaper and more compact that display all the normal data in a singal
    screen without the nonsense - do you really need an oil can flashing at you? I still have to toggle
    the display to get my average speed. Also, my older model does not automatically restart after the
    bike has been idle for a long lunch break - what a pain (I think newer models fixed this).

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for
    my
    > V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

  8. Steve Wood

    Steve Wood Guest

    I have used the wireless Panoram on a Greenspeed GTT for a year (1700
    mi), and it's very close to the transmitter, so can't comment on the long wire. The display is very
    readable and provides a lot of info, but is considerably larger than other units.

  9. I've had one for about 1200 miles now, and like it. If you can get a good deal with the long cable I
    think you'll like it too. Mine is mounted on my Bacchetta Giro SWB. Bentrideronline magazine did a
    review in one of its first issues www.bentrideronline.com Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken'
    www.recumbentstuff.com

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for
    my
    > V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

  10. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for my V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

    I had one of a V² and sold it with the bike. Got a Cateye Astrale for my trike which was cool until
    I tired of the cadence feature. Sold it with the trike. Need a new one for the new trike and I'll go
    back to a Panoram. I like the large display, easy to read and I hate toggling buttons to see data
    while I'm riding. As long as space isn't a problem (it's not on a V²), it's what I'd get. I mounted
    it hanging below the handlebar and it really looked trick, protected better too.

  11. It doesn't have cadence!

    Two cheapish computers would offer more versatillity: clock and cadence on one and speed and
    average/distance/whathaveyou on the other.

    Mark van Gorkom.

  12. Byron Simms

    Byron Simms Guest

    I've just started using a Panoram bike computer this season. You will definitely need the long wire
    sending unit with just about any recumbent. So far, I like it, though it does have pros and cons:
    Pro: Big display shows multiple functions all at once Had a long-wire version so I didn't have to do
    the speaker-wire-splicing-thing Looks cool, in a dorky, recumbent sort of way. Kind of like a
    dashboard for your bike.

    Con: Big glass area of display is very glary in bright sunlight, and tough to see. Can sometimes
    reflect direct sunlight almost like a mirror right into your eyes. Silver color is a bit loud for
    such a large unit. When numbers get higher than 99, the first digit shows above the last two digits
    very small. Weird, but I'll probably get used to it.

    Byron Simms

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for
    my
    > V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

  13. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for my V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

    I like mine! When this topic started, the Panoram was still in it's original box awaiting to be
    installed on my new bike. The long wire is L-O-N-G! It will definitely be more than enough for your
    V2. I had to coil it several times around one of my brake cables to take up the slack. Now in
    retrospect, I'd like to shorten it to make for a cleaner installation. I actually started a thread
    on this on the BROL "Technical Discussion" message board.

    Anyway, like another poster stated, it's like a dashboard for bicycles. Mine is mounted so that it's
    right in the center over the stem. The large numbers are easy to read. Last night, I had the chance
    to use the backlight to read the display. Very, very cool! I remember when I did the Moonlight ride
    at the Withlacoochie Trail this last April hosted by Regis Hampton and Wo Smith, a friend of mine
    who rides a Tour Easy asked me if there was a bike computer that you could see in the dark. None of
    us had an idea how fast we were going due to the darkness on that night. So fast forwarding back to
    last night as I glanced to the display in the dark kind of reminded me of that ocassion;-)

    Overall, I think it's a high quality unit though it remains to be seen if it will stand up for use
    in the rain. This is on my commuting bike so we'll see.

    One more thing. The instructions are way weird! Very graphical but short on words. Take your time as
    it took me over half an hour just to figure out how to set the wheel diameter. Maybe to another
    person the instructions will be intuitive and you may be one of them.

    Happy trails, Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  14. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've had one for a year or so - would not buy another one. May even throw this one away. There are
    > other computers that are cheaper and more compact that display all the normal data in a singal
    > screen without the nonsense - do you really need an oil can flashing at you? I still have to
    > toggle the display to get my average speed. [...]

    Are there any that display speed and average speed at the same time?

    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  15. "john riley" skrev

    > Are there any that display speed and average speed at the same time?

    Don't most do that? Anyway the Cateye Astrale does.

    M.

  16. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for my V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

    WIth some fiddling time with the bracket I got mine mounted under the handlebar instead of over
    (V²). Hanging down from the mount. Looked really cool and was MUCH more protected than when above.

  17. Dave Harney

    Dave Harney Guest

    Performance lists a couple - here is one http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17167

    "john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I've had one for a year or so - would not buy another one. May even
    throw
    > > this one away. There are other computers that are cheaper and more
    compact
    > > that display all the normal data in a singal screen without the
    nonsense -
    > > do you really need an oil can flashing at you? I still have to toggle
    the
    > > display to get my average speed. [...]
    >
    > Are there any that display speed and average speed at the same time?
    >
    > johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  18. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

  19. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I don't have topeak panoram but I have an Avocet with the altimeter feature. The altimeter includes
    the accumulated number of feet that you climbed for that ride. This is a feature that I could not
    live without. It gives you an indication of how challenging your ride was that day. I don't think
    the Avocet is available anymore with these features but the Cateye AT100 has the same features.

    Mike

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > anyone using one of these? opinions? would I need the long harness for my V2?
    >
    > tia
    >
    > rich

  20. Byron Simms

    Byron Simms Guest

    I totally agree about the instructions! Very bad indeed; something was definitely lost in the
    translation from Chinese or wherever it was made. I did manage to turn off the blinking oil can and
    wrench reminders, although it may have taken a half hour of poring over the two separate instruction
    sheets to finally figure out how.

    Byron Simms

    news:[email protected]...