Opinions on Trek & Giant

vfrpilot1

Aug 23, 2009
I'm impressed by what I've been reading read here. I'd like to tap into the knowledge base for opinions/facts. After riding my Raleigh C-30 for 10 years I want to buy a new bike in the $1000 - $1800 range. I have (Hopefully) narrowed the choice to Trek 7.5 or 7.6 and the new Giant Rapid 0. Giant has Mavic Aksium Race rims/hubs/spokes and Shimano 105 Derailleur. I've been told it has superior components to the Trek/Bontrager combo. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs, 52 Years young but really 25 inside. Riding for fitness and 40 - 75 mi charity rides. GOAL IS TO DO RAGBRAI IN JULY !!! All 475 mi. Thanks !!

vfrpilot1 said:
I'm impressed by what I've been reading read here. I'd like to tap into the knowledge base for opinions/facts. After riding my Raleigh C-30 for 10 years I want to buy a new bike in the $1000 - $1800 range. I have (Hopefully) narrowed the choice to Trek 7.5 or 7.6 and the new Giant Rapid 0. Giant has Mavic Aksium Race rims/hubs/spokes and Shimano 105 Derailleur. I've been told it has superior components to the Trek/Bontrager combo. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs, 52 Years young but really 25 inside. Riding for fitness and 40 - 75 mi charity rides. GOAL IS TO DO RAGBRAI IN JULY !!! All 475 mi. Thanks !!

Having ridden a flat handlebar road bike for a while, i would strongly advice against it. IMHO, a drop handlebar gives you a LOT more riding positions to rest and adjust your upper body, especially on real long rides like centuries. If you want the more upright position you can look at the Giant Defy (same frame but better components) and also get a shallow drop handlebar. Having said that, make sure the bike FITS you.
Now to your original question: I think the Giant is a better value (around here they are less expensive than trek) assuming it fits and you really want the flat bar (i guess you can always replace it)

Done a number of RAGBRAIs (Iowa native) on both drop and straight bars. If I ride again, it's drop bars for the multitude of position options. Although I have a Trek 5200, I also have a Giant DS-1 and think for most of us mortal riders, we don't need the level (and price) of Treks. I'd look at an aluminum bike with at least Shimano 105. Plenty in your price range. If RAGBRAI is a southern route, I'd want a triple ring on the front. (I'm 54)

vfrpilot1 said:

I can't really speak for any of the bikes you listed. But I have a Trek Elance road bike and a Giant Yukon mountain bike, and I love them both. You really can't go wrong with either manufacturer IMO.

vfrpilot1 said:
If you want a flat-bar road bike, also look at the Kona phd. I found one for considerably cheaper than the closest-in-spec Trek, and I really love it.

vfrpilot1 said:

I have 2 Giant road bikes,TCR 2 & a Defy 4 which I use in the Winter months. They,ve both been good bikes especially the TCR which is 4 years old. Would recommend anyone to buy a Giant bike, good bikes at affordable prices .