Opinions on Trek & Giant

vfrpilot1

Aug 23, 2009
I'm impressed by what I've been reading read here. I'd like to tap into the knowledge base for opinions/facts. After riding my Raleigh C-30 for 10 years I want to buy a new bike in the $1000 - $1800 range. I have (Hopefully) narrowed the choice to Trek 7.5 or 7.6 and the new Giant Rapid 0. Giant has Mavic Aksium Race rims/hubs/spokes and Shimano 105 Derailleur. I've been told it has superior components to the Trek/Bontrager combo. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs, 52 Years young but really 25 inside. Riding for fitness and 40 - 75 mi charity rides. GOAL IS TO DO RAGBRAI IN JULY !!! All 475 mi. Thanks !!

Hey,

Bontrager has had (and earned) a terrible reputation in the past. However, they have stepped up their production of wheels and components considerably in the past 2-3 years. The joke was always that Bontrager = Bontrasher.

Most problems I saw with Bontrager products while wrenching had to do with the hubs breaking at the interface with bladed spokes on some of their medium range performance wheelsets. It was common to see 5-6 sets of low spoke wheels come in with shattered flange-style hubs. I think this had to do with the odd paired spoke, low spoke count design. This has changed, and I haven't seen ANY Bontrager wheels come in for service in the past year or more. So, I wouldn't let the Mavic vs. Bontrager component variation sway you.

Between the two, it looks like the Giant is a sportier bike, with more road-specific components - most notably the brakes and the double crankset. If you are looking for a flat-bar road bike with some zip, I'd say the Giant would be the best choice for your money.

The Trek looks much more comfort-oriented, and has the granny-gear of the triple crankset if the road starts to really point skyward. That's something to consider - just keep it tuned up and it shouldn't bother you with mis-shifting or anything.

Test ride both, and note the performance of the brakes, the shifting, and the handling. Then choose. Have fun, happy hunting!

Thanks for the info. You really sound like you know your stuff. I tested the Treks 7.5 , 7.6 then the Giant. Brakes /shifting both felt better on Giant. The Shimano 105 was smooth through all the gear combinations. Frame was lighter and more responsive. Now I have to choose the frame size. L or XL and tires? Thx again.

vfrpilot1 said:
I'm impressed by what I've been reading read here. I'd like to tap into the knowledge base for opinions/facts. After riding my Raleigh C-30 for 10 years I want to buy a new bike in the $1000 - $1800 range. I have (Hopefully) narrowed the choice to Trek 7.5 or 7.6 and the new Giant Rapid 0. Giant has Mavic Aksium Race rims/hubs/spokes and Shimano 105 Derailleur. I've been told it has superior components to the Trek/Bontrager combo. I'm 6'2, 210 lbs, 52 Years young but really 25 inside. Riding for fitness and 40 - 75 mi charity rides. GOAL IS TO DO RAGBRAI IN JULY !!! All 475 mi. Thanks !!

First, you often buy the bike shop as much as the bike. When it comes to size, buy the one where the bike shop does a real fitting on you to determine size. Not just standover, ride around the parking lot type fit but a real anatomic fit.

Second, the wheels that come on both are really made for those in the middle of the bell curve in terms of size. Make sure the people that built these bikes trued, rounded, dished and tensioned the wheels before you buy. You would be better served by a set of 105 hubs, 36 hole on a suitable rim with 14/15 spokes built well than either of the wheels that come standard on these bikes, regardless of what the sales lizard will probably tell you.

Once the size is determined, pick the one that you enjoy rding the most. A test ride of some hours, not minutes.

Peter@vecchios said:
First, you often buy the bike shop as much as the bike. When it comes to size, buy the one where the bike shop does a real fitting on you to determine size. Not just standover, ride around the parking lot type fit but a real anatomic fit.

Second, the wheels that come on both are really made for those in the middle of the bell curve in terms of size. Make sure the people that built these bikes trued, rounded, dished and tensioned the wheels before you buy. You would be better served by a set of 105 hubs, 36 hole on a suitable rim with 14/15 spokes built well than either of the wheels that come standard on these bikes, regardless of what the sales lizard will probably tell you.

Once the size is determined, pick the one that you enjoy rding the most. A test ride of some hours, not minutes.

Thanks much ! Sounds like excellent advice. I like the Bike Shop that pays a straight salary and no comissions... Curious about the reason for your comment about wheels and spokes. They told me the Mavic Race wheel/spoke combo was superior....????:cool:

vfrpilot1 said:
Thanks much ! Sounds like excellent advice. I like the Bike Shop that pays a straight salary and no comissions... Curious about the reason for your comment about wheels and spokes. They told me the Mavic Race wheel/spoke combo was superior....????:cool:

Imagine that. It's the wheel that is spec'ed on those bicycles so they pretty much have to smile and say it's perfect for a 210 pound guy and superior, when neither is really true.

Pretty poor rear hub design, low spoke count wheels with propriatary parts that mavic 'may' not support in the future. Bicycle and wheel makers are trying to make wheels/frames consumables when they both should last many years. I doubt they will swap the wheels for a better designed set, even if they do have a good wheelbulder on site, which is doubtful. Ask for at least 25c tires then.

Peter@vecchios said:
Imagine that. It's the wheel that is spec'ed on those bicycles so they pretty much have to smile and say it's perfect for a 210 pound guy and superior, when neither is really true.

Pretty poor rear hub design, low spoke count wheels with propriatary parts that mavic 'may' not support in the future. Bicycle and wheel makers are trying to make wheels/frames consumables when they both should last many years. I doubt they will swap the wheels for a better designed set, even if they do have a good wheelbulder on site, which is doubtful. Ask for at least 25c tires then.
Thanks for sharing this info and your opinions.