Opinions on versatile bike

>Maybe something like a Surly Pacer

Rather than a cross bike.....why not just use a touring
bike such as Bruce Gordon model?

I'm asking rhetorically as I've faced same dilemma
myself. I mainly commute on my bike. But wish to do a
tour someday. Hence the indecision on what to buy.
Should it be a mt bike? A cross bike? A touring bike?
I can only afford to own ONE good bike so multiples
aren't the answer

I just wonder if you could buy a true touring bike and
put a set of 26" wheel and heavy duty tires on it. And
use it for abt anything?

In article <[email protected]>,
Fred Barney <[email protected]> writes:

> c) Sport touring along the lines of a Rivendell Rambouillet
>
> Opinions?

Personally I like the c) option, especially if we're talking
about randonneur-config'd bikes. I note cyclocross bikes have
been mentioned a lot, but I think those things come with a lot
of unnecessary specs for your wants & needs. I think
randonneur-specific bikes come with a whole bunch of desirables,
including all the eyelets you might need, lightness, inside-the-
frame wiring for generator lights, nice geometry, faster & fairly
aero riding position, etc.

But a rigid-forked MTB is good for 50-milers on varied terrain and
surfaces too, but maybe not as light & fast as you might want.
If you pathologically need to chase down and pass every bike rider
you see ahead of you, do not go the MTB route. But if you just
wanna economically (in several senses of the word) get there, old,
rigid-forked MTBs fill the bill quite nicely. Especially if the
frame is a little taller and a little longer than for real
single-track riding. And some higher-priced 26x1.5" tires that
are rated for at least 60 psi will give you a little more speed.

For bike one might want to stick a single pannier on, though,
I still like the randonneur configs. Like the Mariposa
Randonneur, or the Marinoni Turismo.

Well, you asked for opinions ...

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:35:00 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

> I note cyclocross bikes have been mentioned a
> lot, but I think those things come with a lot of unnecessary specs for
> your wants & needs.

Very true. A lot, though, like the Surly Cross-Check and Bianchi Volpe,
seem designed more for randonneuring than for loony Englishmen to tote
about over fallen logs. LOL :p

maxo <[email protected]> writes:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:35:00 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:
>
>> I note cyclocross bikes have been mentioned a
>> lot, but I think those things come with a lot of unnecessary specs for
>> your wants & needs.

> Very true. A lot, though, like the Surly Cross-Check and Bianchi Volpe,
> seem designed more for randonneuring than for loony Englishmen to tote
> about over fallen logs. LOL :p

If things in my life fell into place the right way, I
could easily get into randonneuring. All I'd need is
a rich guy to adopt me and call me "Young Man", a la
"Magic Christian". And the bike I'd want wouldn't be
something to loonily heave-ho over fallen logs; it would
be built for relentlessly continuing along highways &
byways, and have everything necessary to keep going all
day and all night, in lots of different weather/lighting
conditions.

The thing about Surly is, I just like the /name/.
How apropos for a morning commute bike.

The (steel) Marinoni Turismo is an Institution up here in
canada, and rightly & deservedly so. So is the Mariposa
Randonneur.

When I eventually do Iceland, I'm gonna do it on my old,
wide-handlebar'd, hi-tens-framed, 6-spd, rigid-forked
Norco Bigfoot, with the old style canti brakes 'n all.
'Cuz I /know/ that ol' beast is tough enough. And I've
invested a lot of effort into developing a bunch of
musculature (especially in the calves) to make that
weighty sonofabitch go.

cheers,
Tom

--

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:26:10 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> maxo <[email protected]> writes:
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:35:00 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:
>>
>>> I note cyclocross bikes have been mentioned a
>>> lot, but I think those things come with a lot of unnecessary specs for
>>> your wants & needs.

>> Very true. A lot, though, like the Surly Cross-Check and Bianchi Volpe,
>> seem designed more for randonneuring than for loony Englishmen to tote
>> about over fallen logs. LOL :p

> If things in my life fell into place the right way, I could easily get
> into randonneuring. All I'd need is a rich guy to adopt me and call me
> "Young Man", a la "Magic Christian". And the bike I'd want wouldn't be
> something to loonily heave-ho over fallen logs; it would be built for
> relentlessly continuing along highways & byways, and have everything
> necessary to keep going all day and all night, in lots of different
> weather/lighting conditions.

The internet is sure to help you find such an arrangement. Somewhere in
cyberspace is a patron just waiting for you! He wears a handlebar
moustache, knee britches, shifts with a crooked index finger upon the
chain, and will certainly be loaded with cash to spend on toeclips,
brioche, and cream sherry. :p

> The thing about Surly is, I just like the /name/. How apropos for a
> morning commute bike.
>
> The (steel) Marinoni Turismo is an Institution up here in canada, and
> rightly & deservedly so. So is the Mariposa Randonneur.

Gorgeous stuff. The only institution down here is a For F-150.

> When I eventually do Iceland, I'm gonna do it on my old,
> wide-handlebar'd, hi-tens-framed, 6-spd, rigid-forked Norco Bigfoot,
> with the old style canti brakes 'n all. 'Cuz I /know/ that ol' beast is
> tough enough. And I've invested a lot of effort into developing a bunch
> of musculature (especially in the calves) to make that weighty
> sonofabitch go.

Ha--I'm very aware myself on how different cycles shape my legs into
amusingly bumpy sculptures that very from year to year. LOL I'd have to
substitute my long gone '85 Shogun Prairie Breaker for the Norco if I was
to do a tour of the Icelandic thermals.