Opinions on versatile bike

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I'm researching my next bike purchase. I already have a fully suspended
>MTB and a road racer, but I want something to fill the gap. My rides
>consist mostly of about 50 miles (80k) over very hilly terrain with
>about 2500' (750m) of total climbing. The grades are mostly short but
>steep. The MTB (with slicks) can deal with anything like dirt roads and
>potholes, but it is heavy and not very good for standing up. With the
>road racer I have to be picky about the road surface, cutting out a lot
>of otherwise nice routes. I need a bike that is reasonably light and
>that can fit decent sized tires for rougher surfaces and occasional dirt
>roads. I'm thinking:
>
>a) A fully rigid MTB with slicks
>
>b) Cyclocross
>
>c) Sport touring along the lines of a Rivendell Rambouillet

Put some cross tires on your racing bike, assuming they will fit, and you
are good to go.
-------------
Alex

Fred Barney wrote:
> I'm researching my next bike purchase. I already have a fully suspended
> MTB and a road racer, but I want something to fill the gap.

It sounds to me like you really want to buy a third bike, rather than
modify an existing one.

And your description of the requirements for this bike appear to me to
be written with the image of a cyclocross bike in your mind's eye.

If you're looking for confirmation, I don't think you need it. But
yeah, buy a 'cross bike. In fact, get Habanero or Airborne to build you
a ti 'cross bike that will use up your budget and yield a reasonably
light, comfortable, versatile road/dirt machine that you can later turn
into a touring bike or commuter witout much modification (if any). (My
4-year old Airborne Carpe Diem has been a joy.)

RichC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:16:00 +0000, Booker C. Bense wrote:

>>There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
>>indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

> _ You don't get out west much do you? There are hundred and
> hundreds of miles of forest roads with grades like that or
> worse.

Again, the OP was not talking about forest roads, or single track, or
other situations clearly calling for an off-road bike. He was talking
about occasional gravel patches, and potholes, on otherwise paved
surfaces.

> _ The other thing to consider is that gravel and tight tire clearances
> don't always go together very well. While most road bikes can fit a 25mm
> tire, they don't leave enough clearance if gravel gets stuck in the
> tread or for any mud at all. While I agree that you can take a road bike
> with 25mm many more places than most people are willing to try. If you
> are going to mostly ride dirt roads, wider tires and clearance for
> fenders are pretty handy.

Agreed, but again not the original idea in this thread.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]