Opinions on versatile bike

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:37:19 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

>>>There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
>>>indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

>>_ You don't get out west much do you? There are hundred and
>>hundreds of miles of forest roads with grades like that or
>>worse.

>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?
>
>I live in Missouri.... the flat part. That's why I ask

Dear Me,

Dear, me, no!

Despite inflated claims, 20% (and steeper) grades on public
roads are quite unusual anywhere in the U.S.

Dirt roads (as opposed to trails and 4-wheel-drive tracks)
are even less likely to have any significant stretches at
20% grade or steeper.

Without extensive drainage work, such roads would erode
severely as soon as rain fell in the forests mentioned.

When wet, even well-drained dirt roads that steep would also
be well-nigh impassable for ordinary traffic.

On the internet, steepness is often exaggerated.

Here's a site where you can see over seven thousand European
bicycle climbs, few of which exceed 20% grade for even short
stretches:

http://www.salite.ch/struttura/default.asp?Ultime=3

The lack of this kind of methodical mapping of bicycle
routes can lead to all sorts of strange claims concerning
grades.

Recent claims in this newsgroup concerning a public road in
Colorado, for example, appear to have drawn a straight
1-mile path between two contour lines on a topo map and
calculated the grade on that basis--even though the actual
road, clearly visible twisting on the map, was over 2 miles
long.

Carl Fogel

> [...]

severely as soon as rain fell in the forests mentioned.

When wet, even well-drained dirt roads that steep would also
be well-nigh impassable for ordinary traffic.

On the internet, steepness is often exaggerated.

Here's a site where you can see over seven thousand European
bicycle climbs, few of which exceed 20% grade for even short
stretches:

http://www.salite.ch/struttura/default.asp?Ultime=3

The lack of this kind of methodical mapping of bicycle
routes can lead to all sorts of strange claims concerning
grades.

Recent claims in this newsgroup concerning a public road in
Colorado, for example, appear to have drawn a straight
1-mile path between two contour lines on a topo map and
calculated the grade on that basis--even though the actual
road, clearly visible twisting on the map, was over 2 miles

Per [email protected]:
>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?

Personally, I don't see any issue of braking power in discs vs v's.

Instead, I see modulation as the main issue.

Based on that, it would make some diff what kind of surface the grades are.
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?

Personally, I don't see any issue of braking power in discs vs v's.

Instead, I see modulation as the main issue.

Based on that, it would make some diff what kind of surface the grades are.
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?

Personally, I don't see any issue of braking power in discs vs v's.

Instead, I see modulation as the main issue.

Based on that, it would make some diff what kind of surface the grades are.
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?

Personally, I don't see any issue of braking power in discs vs v's.

Instead, I see modulation as the main issue.

Based on that, it would make some diff what kind of surface the grades are.
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?

Personally, I don't see any issue of braking power in discs vs v's.

Instead, I see modulation as the main issue.

Based on that, it would make some diff what kind of surface the grades are.
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>If there are that kind of grades out west..... should
>one get a bike with disk brakes?

Personally, I don't see any issue of braking power in discs vs v's.

Instead, I see modulation as the main issue.

Based on that, it would make some diff what kind of surface the grades are.
--
PeteCresswell

Alex Rodriguez says...

> Put some cross tires on your racing bike, assuming they will fit, and you
> are good to go.
> -------------
> Alex

No way. It's a Six13. I want to go to about a 37.

Alex Rodriguez says...

> Put some cross tires on your racing bike, assuming they will fit, and you
> are good to go.
> -------------
> Alex

No way. It's a Six13. I want to go to about a 37.

Alex Rodriguez says...

> Put some cross tires on your racing bike, assuming they will fit, and you
> are good to go.
> -------------
> Alex

No way. It's a Six13. I want to go to about a 37.

Alex Rodriguez says...

> Put some cross tires on your racing bike, assuming they will fit, and you
> are good to go.
> -------------
> Alex

No way. It's a Six13. I want to go to about a 37.

Alex Rodriguez says...

> Put some cross tires on your racing bike, assuming they will fit, and you
> are good to go.
> -------------
> Alex

No way. It's a Six13. I want to go to about a 37.

David L. Johnson says...

> Again, the OP was not talking about forest roads, or single track, or
> other situations clearly calling for an off-road bike. He was talking
> about occasional gravel patches, and potholes, on otherwise paved
> surfaces.

Well, I may not have been all that clear in my original post, but the
gravel patches I encounter are usually at least a mile long. Long,
steep downhill grades are very common. If I'm exploring a new route,
just about any otherwise nice country road can abruptly turn into dirt.
When that happens, it is either go through it or go back. Going back
can mean either ending the ride early, or adding lots of grueling miles
to it. I live in southern Indiana BTW. Once you get off the main
roads, it gets very remote in a hurry.

> [...]

to it. I live in southern Indiana BTW. Once you get off the main
roads, it gets very remote in a hurry.

David L. Johnson says...

> Again, the OP was not talking about forest roads, or single track, or
> other situations clearly calling for an off-road bike. He was talking
> about occasional gravel patches, and potholes, on otherwise paved
> surfaces.

Well, I may not have been all that clear in my original post, but the
gravel patches I encounter are usually at least a mile long. Long,
steep downhill grades are very common. If I'm exploring a new route,
just about any otherwise nice country road can abruptly turn into dirt.
When that happens, it is either go through it or go back. Going back
can mean either ending the ride early, or adding lots of grueling miles
to it. I live in southern Indiana BTW. Once you get off the main

In article <[email protected]>,
Fred Barney <[email protected]> writes:
> David L. Johnson says...
>
>> Again, the OP was not talking about forest roads, or single track, or
>> other situations clearly calling for an off-road bike. He was talking
>> about occasional gravel patches, and potholes, on otherwise paved
>> surfaces.

> Well, I may not have been all that clear in my original post, but the
> gravel patches I encounter are usually at least a mile long. Long,
> steep downhill grades are very common. If I'm exploring a new route,
> just about any otherwise nice country road can abruptly turn into dirt.
> When that happens, it is either go through it or go back. Going back
> can mean either ending the ride early, or adding lots of grueling miles
> to it. I live in southern Indiana BTW. Once you get off the main
> roads, it gets very remote in a hurry.

Okay then, look for a used 80's rigid-forked MTB, and bunny-hop with
impunity. A well-fitting one with a relaxed geometry approaching
that of a touring bike (the "T" in MTB stands for 'touring' anyways)
rather than something short 'n twitchy. 50-milers on such a bike are
trivial and easy to take, so long as you're not too concerned about
speed. Maybe go a little wide on the handlebar -- wide handlebars
are lovely on steep slopes. A pair of those inverted-tread MTB tires
might be just the ticket for your varied-but-not-extreme riding
surfaces. And if you have to deal with egg gravel, I think you'll
appreciate fatter/lower pressure tires more than anything on a
road[ish] bike. Some clicky top-mount shifters, a good mix of Exage
and Sugino, swap in a steel 24" granny ring to replace the ubiquitous,
stock 26" one, and yer sittin' pretty.

My mind's eye is picturing an old Diamondback ...

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.