Opinions Please ;->

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by dukey81, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. dukey81

    dukey81 Guest

    Hey crew, am looking going at purchasing a new tri bike i am moving up
    into olympic distance and half ironman races and hopefully ironman races
    (eventually) but the majority of my races are of the sprint distance.
    What set up would you recommend for me the normal STI or the shifters at
    the end of the tri bars (can't remember what their called.

    Would really appreciate opinions. Cheers.

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "dukey81" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey crew, am looking going at purchasing a new tri bike i am moving up
    > into olympic distance and half ironman races and hopefully ironman races
    > (eventually) but the majority of my races are of the sprint distance.
    > What set up would you recommend for me the normal STI or the shifters at
    > the end of the tri bars (can't remember what their called.

    "Barcons" are the little levers that go on the end of drop bars or
    aero bars.

    Will you be training on this bike? Solo or bunch rides?
    If you are riding in traffic, STI is more practical and
    safer. If you are serious, your bike could be fitted with
    the barcons on the end of your aero bars. Usually though,
    I think you would have normal STI levers on the drop bars
    and barcons on the aero bars, i.e. both systems could be
    used for gear changes. It is easy then to remove the aero
    bars when doing 'normal' road training.

    Check out:
    http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/bike/000347.php
    http://www.transitiontimes.com/bb/viewmessages.cfm?forum=18&topic=322
    http://vn1.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3945.1.html (see last post)

    You might also want to look at the rec.sport.triathlon ng.

    hth
    hippy

  3. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "dukey81" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > "Barcons" are the little levers that go on the end of drop bars or
    > aero bars.

    Indeed. Fine things they are, too.

    "Barcons" is also a nice example of an almost-English term ("bar-end
    controllers", instead of "bar-end gear levers" or somesuch) that got
    picked up and used in Japanese (maybe "bâ-kon"* or "Bâru-kon"*, I'm not
    sure which, I stoopidly, in retrospect, threw out the packaging of my
    "bar-cons") and has **come back into English**.

    Cf: "cos-play" (100% definitely), "air-con" (probably) , game-boy
    (maybe), etc.

    And, erm, this helps you... umm, maybe not at all... but it's
    interesting. Well, to me, at least.

    xxx

  4. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    Fred Nieman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > hippy wrote:
    > >
    > > "dukey81" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > "Barcons" are the little levers that go on the end of drop bars or
    > > aero bars.
    > >

    > Indeed. Fine things they are, too.
    >
    > "Barcons" is also a nice example of an almost-English term ("bar-end
    > controllers", instead of "bar-end gear levers" or somesuch) that got
    > picked up and used in Japanese (maybe "bâ-kon"* or "Bâru-kon"*, I'm not
    > sure which, I stoopidly, in retrospect, threw out the packaging of my
    > "bar-cons") and has **come back into English**.
    >
    > Cf: "cos-play" (100% definitely), "air-con" (probably) , game-boy
    > (maybe), etc.
    >
    > And, erm, this helps you... umm, maybe not at all... but it's
    > interesting. Well, to me, at least.

    And to me :)

    One of my favourites is the French "vetetiste". Sorry, can't do the
    acute accents over the first two "e"s.

    The French for mountain bike is "velo tout terrain", more or less "all
    terrain bicyle", usually abbreviated to VTT and pronounced "vay tay
    tay". Hence vetetiste = mountain bike rider. Generally, French is
    more prolix than English, but I enjoy the brevity of this word.