Opinions Please ;->

dukey81

Guest
Hey crew, am looking going at purchasing a new tri bike i am moving up
into olympic distance and half ironman races and hopefully ironman races
(eventually) but the majority of my races are of the sprint distance.
What set up would you recommend for me the normal STI or the shifters at
the end of the tri bars (can't remember what their called.

Would really appreciate opinions. Cheers.

"dukey81" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey crew, am looking going at purchasing a new tri bike i am moving up
> into olympic distance and half ironman races and hopefully ironman races
> (eventually) but the majority of my races are of the sprint distance.
> What set up would you recommend for me the normal STI or the shifters at
> the end of the tri bars (can't remember what their called.

"Barcons" are the little levers that go on the end of drop bars or
aero bars.

Will you be training on this bike? Solo or bunch rides?
If you are riding in traffic, STI is more practical and
safer. If you are serious, your bike could be fitted with
the barcons on the end of your aero bars. Usually though,
I think you would have normal STI levers on the drop bars
and barcons on the aero bars, i.e. both systems could be
used for gear changes. It is easy then to remove the aero
bars when doing 'normal' road training.

Check out:
http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/bike/000347.php
http://www.transitiontimes.com/bb/viewmessages.cfm?forum=18&topic=322
http://vn1.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3945.1.html (see last post)

You might also want to look at the rec.sport.triathlon ng.

hth
hippy

hippy wrote:

> "dukey81" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> "Barcons" are the little levers that go on the end of drop bars or
> aero bars.

Indeed. Fine things they are, too.

"Barcons" is also a nice example of an almost-English term ("bar-end
controllers", instead of "bar-end gear levers" or somesuch) that got
picked up and used in Japanese (maybe "bâ-kon"* or "Bâru-kon"*, I'm not
sure which, I stoopidly, in retrospect, threw out the packaging of my
"bar-cons") and has **come back into English**.

Cf: "cos-play" (100% definitely), "air-con" (probably) , game-boy
(maybe), etc.

And, erm, this helps you... umm, maybe not at all... but it's
interesting. Well, to me, at least.

***

Fred Nieman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> hippy wrote:
> >
> > "dukey81" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > "Barcons" are the little levers that go on the end of drop bars or
> > aero bars.
> >

> Indeed. Fine things they are, too.
>
> "Barcons" is also a nice example of an almost-English term ("bar-end
> controllers", instead of "bar-end gear levers" or somesuch) that got
> picked up and used in Japanese (maybe "bâ-kon"* or "Bâru-kon"*, I'm not
> sure which, I stoopidly, in retrospect, threw out the packaging of my
> "bar-cons") and has **come back into English**.
>
> Cf: "cos-play" (100% definitely), "air-con" (probably) , game-boy
> (maybe), etc.
>
> And, erm, this helps you... umm, maybe not at all... but it's
> interesting. Well, to me, at least.

And to me :)

One of my favourites is the French "vetetiste". Sorry, can't do the
acute accents over the first two "e"s.

The French for mountain bike is "velo tout terrain", more or less "all
terrain bicyle", usually abbreviated to VTT and pronounced "vay tay
tay". Hence vetetiste = mountain bike rider. Generally, French is
more prolix than English, but I enjoy the brevity of this word.