Opinions solicited (non tech)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ajames54, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    I snipped this from Velo-news.. www.velonews.com and snipped parts of the story

    >quote

    Roche: Hamilton show is "bad for cycling" Tyler Hamilton's brave bid to finish the Tour de France
    has been dubbed "ridiculous" and worthy of some candle-lighting in the religious city of Lourdes by
    former Tour de France winner Stephen Roche.

    The Irishman, who in 1987 won the Tour, the Giro and the world championships, feels the brouhaha
    surrounding the American rider's efforts are doing the sport no favours.

    "It's definitely been blown out of proportion. It's totally ridiculous," Roche told AFP prior to the
    start of the 11th stage from Narbonne to Toulouse.

    "I mean, it's not doing any favours for the image of cycling. For the past few years cycling has
    been getting its act together (vis-a-vis doping) and the commentators on TV are going mad about
    Hamilton - 'he's in the saddle, and he's out of the saddle etc etc'.

    "But I think all he and his team are doing is giving the public a gun to shoot us with.

    "People watching what's happening are going to be asking themselves, 'is this guy for real' or they
    are going to be saying 'what kind of shit (drugs) are they giving him?'

    >end quote

    So what do you think? I'm impressed and FWIW I doubt he is on any drug that the rest are not either
    on or able to be on...

    I think Mr. Roche is being a bit petty ..

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "ajames54" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > So what do you think? I'm impressed and FWIW I doubt he is on any drug that the rest are not
    > either on or able to be on...
    >
    > I think Mr. Roche is being a bit petty ..

    I've never heard words like "doping" used regarding Hamilton's efforts...only words like "heroic"
    and "amazing." As much attention as cycling is paying to drug usage, Hamilton wouldn't be riding now
    if he were jacked up.

    Screw Roche. Personally, I probably couldn't even finish a mountain stage under the maximum time, or
    ride to the grocery store with a freshly-compound-fractured collarbone. Let alone both at the same
    time. He's incredible.

    I remember OLN saying something about Hamilton couldn't even take aspirins for the pain - the rules
    were that strict. I think if they checked for aspirins, they'd be able to find everything else Roche
    suspects him of taking.

    Chris

  3. Derk

    Derk Guest

    > As much attention as cycling is paying to drug usage, Hamilton wouldn't be riding now if he were
    > jacked up.
    I read that his collar bone isn't broken, but a small crack was found in an Xray.

    Furthermore, he is being treated by a Danish guy who claims he can speed up healing by directing
    energy flows in the body. Well.....he seems to have succesfully treated a ballet danser in NY and
    has many followers in Denmark.

    Greets, Derk

  4. > "But I think all he and his team are doing is giving the public a gun to shoot us with.

    Jealousy, perhaps?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:14:08 -0400, ajames54 <[email protected]> may have said:

    >So what do you think? I'm impressed and FWIW I doubt he is on any drug that the rest are not either
    >on or able to be on...
    >
    >I think Mr. Roche is being a bit petty ..

    It's hard for me to have a strong opinion either way; I don't know the circumstances well enough to
    be able to judge if there's stubborn determination of utter foolhardiness driving Hamilton. My
    take: He's probably doing no harm. Trashing him for trying is, in my opinion, gratuitous and, as
    you say, petty.

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > As much attention as cycling is paying to drug usage, Hamilton wouldn't be riding now if he were
    > > jacked up.
    > I read that his collar bone isn't broken, but a small crack was found in
    an
    > Xray.

    OLN reported it was a compound fracture - two full breaks. Anybody have real info?

    > Furthermore, he is being treated by a Danish guy who claims he can speed
    up
    > healing by directing energy flows in the body. Well.....he seems to have succesfully treated a
    > ballet danser in NY and has many followers in Denmark.

    Energy flow...like that Reki (sp?) massage. That stuff is ridiculous.

    Chris

  7. Dr. Dave

    Dr. Dave Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > "Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>As much attention as cycling is paying to drug usage, Hamilton wouldn't be riding now if he were
    >>>jacked up.
    >>
    >>I read that his collar bone isn't broken, but a small crack was found in
    >
    > an
    >
    >>Xray.
    >

    > OLN reported it was a compound fracture - two full breaks. Anybody have real info?

    We were always taught in first aide classes that a compound fracture is one where the jagged end of
    the borken bone is sticking out through a hole in the skin. I do not think that is what he has.

  8. Jason Wright

    Jason Wright Guest

    Roche didnt seem to mind when he was the center of attention after he raced up Luz Ardiden and
    needed oxygen during his 87 tour win. Maybe roche is pissed that more people want to talk about
    hamilton and how he is tough as nails instead of Roche's triple-crown that happened 16 years ago.

    BTW Roche is great and had several comebacks of his own. people in glass houses....

    Jason

    news:[email protected]...